Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SR 4 Championship Game: Tarleton St. vs. Minnesota St.

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SR 4 Championship Game: Tarleton St. vs. Minnesota St.

Texan fans, what should I know about your team other then that they like to run the ball down the throat.

Just looking at a eye-test compared to Pueblo... they run the ball like Pueblo but have better athletes. They can throw the pigskin better as well. The defense is solid but maybe slightly worse than the Pueblo defense.

Someone please fill me in on what are strengths and weaknesses. Should be a great game as both teams are undefeated!

Re: SR 4 Championship Game: Tarleton St. vs. Minnesota St.

Originally posted by Twincitiesmav View Post
    Texan fans, what should I know about your team other then that they like to run the ball down the throat.

Just looking at a eye-test compared to Pueblo... they run the ball like Pueblo but have better athletes. They can throw the pigskin better as well. The defense is solid but maybe slightly worse than the Pueblo defense.

Someone please fill me in on what are strengths and weaknesses. Should be a great game as both teams are undefeated!
    They did what they wanted vs an experienced national champion commerce defense. They have pretty much done what they wanted all season. Yesterday they did it with a QB that was on one good leg. The only reason Commerce even stayed in the game is the Texans propensity to committ penalties and Commerce has an NFL caliber kicker.

Their line is huge, they have 4 RBs who would start on any team out there, they force teams to commit to stopping their run and their recievers get 1v1 and are very very fast.

Their dline is just as dominant. The only times they have been in a close game is because of their own mistakes.

I expect this to be the best game on next weekend and the winner goes on to play in the natty.
    I have fat thumbs sorry for typos!

Comment

Originally posted by Twincitiesmav View Post

Comment

TSU....I noticed in watching the Texans they had multiple players sharing the same number...like 2 and 4....one of them on offense..one on defense. Uh....why..

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post
          TSU....I noticed in watching the Texans they had multiple players sharing the same number...like 2 and 4....one of them on offense..one on defense. Uh....why..

Comment

Comment

Any reason Tarleton only played 4 road games? Saturday will probably be for sure the coldest game they have played this season, high is currently supposed to be 33 with possible rain/snow mix. The game, as most playoffs games do, will come down to the trenches in my opinion. Mankatos run D is pretty stout, holding Pueblo to less than 100 yards and held the Division 2 leading rusher to his lowest output of the season. Whichever team can win the line play will have a good chance to win. Penalties will also be key, as Tarleton averages about 30 yards more in penalties per game.

I see Tarletons kicker is 12 for 12 this year but his longest FG is only 36 yards. That could be key as well, as Mankatos kicker, while hasnt had quite as good a year as last year, is a serious weapon and can hit from 55+

Comment

Originally posted by msumavfan View Post
                Any reason Tarleton only played 4 road games? Saturday will probably be for sure the coldest game they have played this season, high is currently supposed to be 33 with possible rain/snow mix. The game, as most playoffs games do, will come down to the trenches in my opinion. Mankatos run D is pretty stout, holding Pueblo to less than 100 yards and held the Division 2 leading rusher to his lowest output of the season. Whichever team can win the line play will have a good chance to win. Penalties will also be key, as Tarleton averages about 30 yards more in penalties per game.

I see Tarletons kicker is 12 for 12 this year but his longest FG is only 36 yards. That could be key as well, as Mankatos kicker, while hasnt had quite as good a year as last year, is a serious weapon and can hit from 55+

Comment

Didnt say they were. Just pointing out the strength of the Mankato defense is their run defense.

Comment

I've seen team with guys who share the same # on the roster..but one is a starter and the other is a redshirt or frosh that's not seeing the field. In this case 4 is a star wideout and also a starting LB....2 is the QB, but also a starting DB, etc.

I just found that odd..and easily avoidable.

Maybe this happens a lot more with starting players than I realize.

Comment

I've seen team with guys who share the same # on the roster..but one is a starter and the other is a redshirt or frosh that's not seeing the field. In this case 4 is a star wideout and also a starting LB....2 is the QB, but also a starting DB, etc.

A few years ago USF had a kicker and a WR that shared the same number. Can't remember which year. Maybe 2010 or 2011.

Comment

Originally posted by msumavfan View Post

I would be shocked if The Mavericks can hold Tarleton to 100 yards rushing. If so, Mavericks take this game.

One thing I noticed the Texans like to do on Offense is when too many defenders crowd the box, they have a quick slants that can be fatal. Most of their passes come out quickly not so much pocket passing as is the case with TAMUC.

Unless there is a lot of 20+ mph wind,I seriously doubt cold weather will be an issue for their style of play.

Comment

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post
                          I would be shocked if The Mavericks can hold Tarleton to 100 yards rushing. If so, Mavericks take this game.

One thing I noticed the Texans like to do on Offense is when too many defenders crowd the box, they have a quick slants that can be fatal. Most of their passes come out quickly not so much pocket passing as is the case with TAMUC.

Unless there is a lot of 20+ mph wind,I seriously doubt cold weather will be an issue for their style of play.
                          If mankato holds Tarleton to less than 100 yards they will win this handily, but I didnt say that would happen. If they keep them to 170 or so I like their chances. Mavs pass defense has played well second half of the season when they got their stud DT back to rush the passer. Overall I think the teams matchup well.

20+ mph wind isnt out of the norm in mankato. The way the stadium is situated, there is a reason they call it the wind tunnel. 15 mph hour winds are very common with gusts over 20, that will have an affect on things.

Comment

Happens A TON in FBS. Even with starters on both side of the ball (CB #1/WR #1, etc) That is typically due to number of players on the roster (85 scholarships + walk-ons, then minus retired jersey numbers) and people wanting certain numbers. I'd assume roster size may be a factor here as well as I've read many times on the LSC forums of 40-50 player recruiting classes. Looking at the TSU roster, it appears that they needed to double up some numbers based on roster size.

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post
                              Happens A TON in FBS. Even with starters on both side of the ball (CB #1/WR #1, etc) That is typically due to number of players on the roster (85 scholarships + walk-ons, then minus retired jersey numbers) and people wanting certain numbers. I'd assume roster size may be a factor here as well as I've read many times on the LSC forums of 40-50 player recruiting classes. Looking at the TSU roster, it appears that they needed to double up some numbers based on roster size.
                              Looks like by a quick count that TSU had about 16 open roster numbers, so FWIW, they didn't need to double up. I asked Tom Frederick, who's called games for USD and then USF for the past 20 years, and he said it's extremely uncommon for him to ever see a number being used for a starter on each side of the ball. (I asked this since the announcers learn the 2-deep and would easily notice the duplication of numbers in the 2 deep) He mentioned that Augie and USF both had a kicker over the years who wore a repeat number, but that's fairly easy to sniff out. He mentioned that they simply cannot be on the field at the same time, a rule apparently (assuming). That was kinda my original intent with the question..special teams..that it could be kinda confusing for statisticians (which he confirmed) and possibly for the opponent.

Once again...I've seen the duplication of a number plenty..but normally 1 guy doesn't see the field..and never with guys who both start on different sides of the ball.

That said, I won't forget who those players are numbers are now. HAHA.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X