Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 212 Degrees View Post
    Wow, 6-5 gets you fired? I don't care if most wins were against lower teams or not. Wins are wins.

I wish SMSU would make a change and have that same lack of patience, for progress. I don't want to upset the "Sauter Fan Club" on here but maybe it just might be time to head in a new direction ourselves. We have been 9-24, in the last 3 years.
    I wouldn't describe 53-57 over ten years as a "lack of patience"

Comment

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post

EDIT - I missed the context, I thought you were referring to SMSU. My apologies.
      Last edited by SW_Mustang; 11-22-2019, 06:51 PM.

Comment

It would be interesting to see what things would be like if every NSIC had 36 scholarships. They don't and they won't, but if one school has 36 and is playing someone with 18 it is going to be lopsided over the long run. At some schools the big game is football. At others it is basketball. Or maybe even some other sport. Expectations are different from school to school- and some may not be realistic.

Comment

If you have not watched much Northern football & only judged off the record being respectable at 6-5 or 5-6, then I think it would appear that Coach Dosch being fired was a lack of patience or shocking; however, since 2014 when Northern went 8-3, there has really been no progress on the football field. A continuous cycle of beating up on the bottom dwellers and getting smoked by the top teams. I am sure that Aberdeen has many disadvantages to recruiting when up against Augie, Mankato, etc. but with the stadium on the immediate horizon, there's no time to waste with staying mediocre. Call it unrealistic expectations if you wish, but the facilities at Northern will be 2nd to none once the season kicks off in 2021 and a mediocre team in a 20+ million dollar stadium isn't what anyone in the Wolves fan base wants to see.

Coach Dosch did an excellent job of taking the Northern football program out of the cellar and to the middle of the pack, but believe it will take another coach to take the program to the next level. There is always a possibility of getting the wrong coach and returning to the cellar, but it looks like Northern is willing to take that risk. Time will tell if the athletic administration made the right call.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
            It would be interesting to see what things would be like if every NSIC had 36 scholarships. They don't and they won't, but if one school has 36 and is playing someone with 18 it is going to be lopsided over the long run. At some schools the big game is football. At others it is basketball. Or maybe even some other sport. Expectations are different from school to school- and some may not be realistic.
            I do believe Northern has been fully funded in the past, until the NSIC allowed teams to get up to 36 scholarships a couple years ago. That being said, I know that Northern is making it their goal to have the football fully-funded again within the next couple years and raise the additional 8 scholarships available. It would appear maybe that recruiting was an issue for Coach Dosch. One of the higher funded programs in the NSIC, but never able to gain any ground on a lesser-funded Duluth or Bemidji, for example. Perhaps this is also part of the reason a mediocre record isn't acceptable in the eyes of Northern.

Comment

Originally posted by #WolvesNation View Post

If you have not watched much Northern football & only judged off the record being respectable at 6-5 or 5-6, then I think it would appear that Coach Dosch being fired was a lack of patience or shocking; however, since 2014 when Northern went 8-3, there has really been no progress on the football field. A continuous cycle of beating up on the bottom dwellers and getting smoked by the top teams. I am sure that Aberdeen has many disadvantages to recruiting when up against Augie, Mankato, etc. but with the stadium on the immediate horizon, there's no time to waste with staying mediocre. Call it unrealistic expectations if you wish, but the facilities at Northern will be 2nd to none once the season kicks off in 2021 and a mediocre team in a 20+ million dollar stadium isn't what anyone in the Wolves fan base wants to see.

Coach Dosch did an excellent job of taking the Northern football program out of the cellar and to the middle of the pack, but believe it will take another coach to take the program to the next level. There is always a possibility of getting the wrong coach and returning to the cellar, but it looks like Northern is willing to take that risk. Time will tell if the athletic administration made the right call.
              Very well written. Not only has Moon led to a different mentality around programs it has done the same with the donors. They pumped energy and effort into the alumni base to raise these sort of funds and while it's awesome it was sold (atleast partially) to the fact that we would become contenders.

Never heard anyone say anything bad about coach Dosch, and he absolutely did a great job of getting us back to atleast the middle of the field. Our great football seasons have been few and far between since what the 60s? The era prior to Dosch REALLY hurt in so many ways. But now, the commitment has changed, the attitude has changed and the expectations have changed. We have some good young talent still, we are firmly in the middle of the conference and with what they have added and have coming, it is going to be a very appealing job. I expect a thorough yet quick hire, I'm guessing by this time in December we will have our new coach. Prerequisite is they MUST keep "The Godfather" that is imperative to keep whatever chemistry there is in tact.

Comment

At last we heard, Duluth offers the same as Crooktson which is in the middle of the pack while Mary and Northern offer just as much as Mankato and Augie which always offer the max, until it went up and then have been in step with eachother.

Comment

Originally posted by #WolvesNation View Post

I do believe Northern has been fully funded in the past, until the NSIC allowed teams to get up to 36 scholarships a couple years ago. That being said, I know that Northern is making it their goal to have the football fully-funded again within the next couple years and raise the additional 8 scholarships available. It would appear maybe that recruiting was an issue for Coach Dosch. One of the higher funded programs in the NSIC, but never able to gain any ground on a lesser-funded Duluth or Bemidji, for example. Perhaps this is also part of the reason a mediocre record isn't acceptable in the eyes of Northern.
                  Very likely, he certainly wasn't helped by the number of coordinators that kept coming and going. I believe it was two years ago we had three offensive coordinators within a few months?

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

That's... quite impressive actually. Historically speaking, we're one of the worst teams out of the group that now makes up the NSIC, so 4 games under 500 isn't half bad...

Getting rid of Sauter won't fix the bulk of the problem. I'm not sure why people don't like him... but to each their own. The school and the town needs fixing before any real change is going to happen. Sauter's just doing the best be can with what he's got, IMO.

Coach Sauter is a class act and I don't mean to bash the guy or complain. But 2 winning seasons in 10 years (the last one in 2015), doesn't exactly warrant an annual "free pass" from the discussion when coaching changes comes up. I know, I know.........it's the town, the school, the recruits, the assistant coaches turnover, etc. Maybe there's someone out there that can win under those "conditions" and take advantage of the cheap tuition and decent facility at SMSU.

Comment

Very well written. Not only has Moon led to a different mentality around programs it has done the same with the donors. They pumped energy and effort into the alumni base to raise these sort of funds and while it's awesome it was sold (atleast partially) to the fact that we would become contenders.

Never heard anyone say anything bad about coach Dosch, and he absolutely did a great job of getting us back to atleast the middle of the field. Our great football seasons have been few and far between since what the 60s? The era prior to Dosch REALLY hurt in so many ways. But now, the commitment has changed, the attitude has changed and the expectations have changed. We have some good young talent still, we are firmly in the middle of the conference and with what they have added and have coming, it is going to be a very appealing job. I expect a thorough yet quick hire, I'm guessing by this time in December we will have our new coach. Prerequisite is they MUST keep "The Godfather" that is imperative to keep whatever chemistry there is in tact.

Comment

Originally posted by 212 Degrees View Post

Coach Sauter is a class act and I don't mean to bash the guy or complain. But 2 winning seasons in 10 years (the last one in 2015), doesn't exactly warrant an annual "free pass" from the discussion when coaching changes comes up. I know, I know.........it's the town, the school, the recruits, the assistant coaches turnover, etc. Maybe there's someone out there that can win under those "conditions" and take advantage of the cheap tuition and decent facility at SMSU.
                        I've been to and seen the facilities in Marshall, StP, SF/Augustana, Mankato, Mary, Minot and StC. Marshall isn't that bad. A dearth of decent restaurants and activities for student athletes, but hey, what do they do in places like Wayne or Fayette (no offense)? It's a small town. Some kids come from small towns and enjoy the familiarity it affords; others come from BIGGER towns and like the small town atmosphere. No matter where you decide to play it's a crap shoot. If Marshall is the place you decide on, STAY. Nothin' p***es off a coach more than a commit who leaves cuz of a few minor issues he/she can't seem to handle. It's four years of your life...and took you 18 years to get there. Grow up. It could be the most important decision you make.

Comment

https://wscwildcats.com/news/2019/11...all-coach.aspx

Dan McLaughlin stepping down at WSC

Comment

Originally posted by wscsuperfan View Post

Good luck to a man who sounds like he has his priorities in line.

Comment

Originally posted by wscsuperfan View Post

This is the second head coach who won't be back next year. Will there be more?

Comment

This is the second head coach who won't be back next year. Will there be more?
                                Maybe Crookston?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X