Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Clean Liver View Post

I've been to and seen the facilities in Marshall, StP, SF/Augustana, Mankato, Mary, Minot and StC. Marshall isn't that bad. A dearth of decent restaurants and activities for student athletes, but hey, what do they do in places like Wayne or Fayette (no offense)? It's a small town. Some kids come from small towns and enjoy the familiarity it affords; others come from BIGGER towns and like the small town atmosphere. No matter where you decide to play it's a crap shoot. If Marshall is the place you decide on, STAY. Nothin' p***es off a coach more than a commit who leaves cuz of a few minor issues he/she can't seem to handle. It's four years of your life...and took you 18 years to get there. Grow up. It could be the most important decision you make.

Comment

I've been to and seen the facilities in Marshall, StP, SF/Augustana, Mankato, Mary, Minot and StC. Marshall isn't that bad. A dearth of decent restaurants and activities for student athletes, but hey, what do they do in places like Wayne or Fayette (no offense)? It's a small town. Some kids come from small towns and enjoy the familiarity it affords; others come from BIGGER towns and like the small town atmosphere. No matter where you decide to play it's a crap shoot. If Marshall is the place you decide on, STAY. Nothin' p***es off a coach more than a commit who leaves cuz of a few minor issues he/she can't seem to handle. It's four years of your life...and took you 18 years to get there. Grow up. It could be the most important decision you make.

Couldn't agree more. I think Marshall gets a bad rap. Recruits from bigger cities know what they're getting themselves into. In many cases, they don't leave because of the city.

Comment

Originally posted by wscsuperfan View Post
        https://wscwildcats.com/news/2019/11...all-coach.aspx

Dan McLaughlin stepping down at WSC

Do you think Coach Frana (The OC) will get the job?

Comment

Originally posted by 212 Degrees View Post

Do you think Coach Frana (The OC) will get the job?
          I honestly don't know.....but i would lean no.

Comment

Disagree. You spent time at a number of places, around the town and on campus. You spent time with players who, I'd assume, told you all about their experience. Most 18 y.o.'s know it all anyway, correct? ;-)

Comment

Coach Sauter is a class act and I don't mean to bash the guy or complain. But 2 winning seasons in 10 years (the last one in 2015), doesn't exactly warrant an annual "free pass" from the discussion when coaching changes comes up. I know, I know.........it's the town, the school, the recruits, the assistant coaches turnover, etc. Maybe there's someone out there that can win under those "conditions" and take advantage of the cheap tuition and decent facility at SMSU.
              I get your view - I agree with it, to an extent, however I think it's too idealistic.

Yes, it would be nice if we could find a coach who could take all of the variables in play and make us a competitor - or at the very least, a 6-5 team on a yearly basis. If that happens though, how long does that coach stay?

I agree - Sauter should not be free from criticism. That being said, his commitment to the school, program, and community is second-to-none. It also all depends on one's perspective too - he is the second-most successful coach in school history, after all. I think axing him at this point is a little harsh, given all the variables in play.

Comment

Disagree. You spent time at a number of places, around the town and on campus. You spent time with players who, I'd assume, told you all about their experience. Most 18 y.o.'s know it all anyway, correct? ;-)

Comment

It's just my opinion. There are pros 'n cons to every decision. My point is that players, and people in general, would do well to stick with their commitments. Personally, I f***ed up as an 18 y.o. When a relative came to the same crossroads we talked. Lived up their commitment and it ended up very positive. My experience and my opinion. Just sayin'...

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

I get your view - I agree with it, to an extent, however I think it's too idealistic.

Yes, it would be nice if we could find a coach who could take all of the variables in play and make us a competitor - or at the very least, a 6-5 team on a yearly basis. If that happens though, how long does that coach stay?

I agree - Sauter should not be free from criticism. That being said, his commitment to the school, program, and community is second-to-none. It also all depends on one's perspective too - he is the second-most successful coach in school history, after all. I think axing him at this point is a little harsh, given all the variables in play.

I understand and agree completely SW. I guess the one follow-up question I would have is when would you ever consider a change? What are the criteria and goals of success for this program? I also would hope any coach the school hires would be invested in the town, school, and community.

Comment

I understand and agree completely SW. I guess the one follow-up question I would have is when would you ever consider a change? What are the criteria and goals of success for this program? I also would hope any coach the school hires would be invested in the town, school, and community.
                      I think they would have to either completely bottom out or there would have to be some sort of scandal to make a change.

There has to be some reality check in terms of what to expect. We're in the South, so our record is always going to look worse than an equally talented team from the North would look.

I think everyone had grand expectations when the stadium opened up that recruiting and team success would skyrocket from where Eidsness brought the program, but I think it's also important to note how the NSIC landscape has changed since then. Eidsness didn't have to face the depth at the top of the NSIC that Sauter does.

Comment

With openings at SD Mines and Black Hills as well....there's 4 D2 Head Coaching jobs between SD/NE. It'll be interesting to see what interest those jobs gets since they aren't easy places to win..with NSU having the biggest upside to a future coach, given the institutional support, new stadium, and current .500ish standing.

There's also a new FCS opening down the road at Northern Colorado.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post
                          With openings at SD Mines and Black Hills as well....there's 4 D2 Head Coaching jobs between SD/NE. It'll be interesting to see what interest those jobs gets since they aren't easy places to win..with NSU having the biggest upside to a future coach, given the institutional support, new stadium, and current .500ish standing.

GREAT job for the right coach. Front Range recruitin' as well as the outlyin' towns to the north and east. Access to Denver metro and DIA. I-25 is close. Lots of pluses to the UNC job.

Comment

Would Greely native (and former UNC assistant) Jed Stugart be interested? Or too soon to leave Lindenwood? He threw his hat into the ring at Austin Peay a few years back.

Interesting openings this year indeed all around.

4x 'Crackerjack' NAIA National Champions - 1996, 2006, 2008, 2009
                            2016 NSIC Champions
                            πŸ”‘πŸ”‘πŸ”‘πŸ”‘πŸ”‘πŸ”‘πŸ”‘πŸ”‘

Comment

I understand and agree completely SW. I guess the one follow-up question I would have is when would you ever consider a change? What are the criteria and goals of success for this program? I also would hope any coach the school hires would be invested in the town, school, and community
                              When we become the Crookston of the NSIC South - then it's probably time to start talking. We are a relatively young program, at a very small school, competing in the toughest group of teams in the nation. Like Stanger said, we have to keep our expectations in check. I'd love to go 11-0 every year - but that's not feasible.

In the end, it really depends on how you look at it. Is W-L the most important thing? Absolutely - but is it the only thing to consider? I don't think so. He's put together a laundry list of school firsts and impressive accomplishments. I still have faith in him, at least.

He is also very much apart of the community from what I've seen. Any coach can say nice things at the booster club meetings, but I think he is truly living it. He's a Marshallite now.. I think uprooting him and his family without good cause would not be a very good idea. We have to remember - this isn't the FBS, there are real consequences for firing coaches. I'm not saying he should be free from criticism or negative job performance - but there is that side to consider as well.
                              Last edited by SW_Mustang; 11-25-2019, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Matt Zimmer tweeted out some names....he and I had chatted....so I'd agree in large part with the list.

"Some possible candidates for Northern State: Ted Schlafke, USD OC; Brian Bergstrom, SDSU co-DC; Jordan Malone, Augie DC; Nick Benedetto, USF DC; Tremaine Jackson, Texas State DL (former USF DC); Josh Davis, Morningside OC (former SDSU WRs), Austin Flyger, Northern's DC."

I could also see a guy like Dusty Hovorka, Lindenwood OC who previously was the OC when USF had Luke Papilion. He's and up and comer who's doing good things with the LU offense also.

I think Schlafke might be a strong favorite if he's got interest. He's shown well at each stop and was a superstar QB at UMD during their title era run. USD staff might not be on solid ground long term due to less than great recent results.
                                Matt Witwicki What would you consider to be a good hire for NSU. I have no idea when it comes to what coaches would be interested or qualified for Northern. The USD OC does seem like he would be a good choice.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X