Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrMustang View Post
    I don't blame any kid who decided to leave because of Covid. The Minnesota State schools are ripping kids off and stealing money. Online school is a joke and it isn't a real college experience for these kids with all the lockdowns and limitations. This ain't Sauter's fault over even the AD, decisions being made way above them. The idea that you don't get to have a normal college experience is bad for kids and their mental health.
    To be fair, it's not just our state schools. Our private schools have been robbing students blind for years, and the U probably taught them how to do it. It's just the state of higher education in 2021. I agree though, students shouldn't have to pay full tuition for Zoom courses. It's great for English 101, but not so great when you get into your major where the interaction really matters.

That being said - if a college student can't handle this, they're going to have a tough life. It's not that traumatic in the grand scheme of things. I had to work a lot in college because the oldheads in St. Paul shot the tuition sky high, so I didn't get to experience much of college in non-COVID times, and I turned out fine.

Comment

I think they recruit local kids who are good enough.

There aren't that many. They get a good number of the local D2 kids and their efforts there can't be faulted.

Honestly, Marshall has had more D1 kids in the last last 7 years than D2 kids. No way were were going to get those kids no matter how hard we tried.

Retention is always an issue and more so now in the "me culture" of immediate expectations.
      Maybe I'm still thinking of the pre-merger era of the NSIC, where the overall level of the league was lower. But it felt like we weren't relying as much on the California, Florida or JUCO kids. Maybe the number of local kids was similar to nowadays, but it doesn't seem like we're going for the same impact. Make them feel important, not just another kid. Where are the 8-man and 9-man players? The Tyler Tonderums? The Zach Wysongs? The Blake Wilsons? The Bill Noethliches? These all may not have been D2 level as freshmen, but they sure were by the end of their careers.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

Maybe I'm still thinking of the pre-merger era of the NSIC, where the overall level of the league was lower. But it felt like we weren't relying as much on the California, Florida or JUCO kids. Maybe the number of local kids was similar to nowadays, but it doesn't seem like we're going for the same impact. Make them feel important, not just another kid. Where are the 8-man and 9-man players? The Tyler Tonderums? The Zach Wysongs? The Blake Wilsons? The Bill Noethliches? These all may not have been D2 level as freshmen, but they sure were by the end of their careers.
        Looks like the Marshalltown pipeline has run pretty dry lately, too. Don't get me wrong, if we can win with kids from the southwest US - I'm all for it, but it seems so unnecessarily volatile.

When I started following the program, it seemed like we were recruiting heavily out of the Twin Cities and especially the suburbs. That was mildly annoying too, but at least those kids came adjusted to the climate. That's my biggest fear with the southwest guys. They lived in the Arizona heat for 18 years and then get to experience a Marshall winter - I'm sure that's a huge shock.

Comment

Not Mustangs related, and it's two-week old news by now - but former KMHL employee Tom Browkaw retired after 55 years with NBC:

Tom Brokaw announces retirement from NBC News after 55 years | The Independent

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
            Not Mustangs related, and it's two-week old news by now - but former KMHL employee Tom Browkaw retired after 55 years with NBC:

Tom Brokaw announces retirement from NBC News after 55 years | The Independent
            had no idea Tom Brokaw worked at KMHL

Comment

had no idea Tom Brokaw worked at KMHL
              Yup - he was there very briefly early on in his career. He was fired after a week. It's still cool because of how early it was in his career - maybe his second job out of high school.

It's mentioned in this Strib article -

July 11, 2004: Home is where Brokaw's heart is - StarTribune.com

3. KMHL-AM in Marshall. In the fall of 1960, he hitchhiked to Marshall and was hired as nighttime disc jockey. Fired after a week. While at the station, Attorney General candidate Walter Mondale came through. Brokaw suggested interviewing him but the tape recorder didn't work.
              Former Mustangs OL Jim Nelson gave a lecture during the 50th Celebration, which is where I found out about it. At that time, he was the director of Fox and Friends.

Comment

Interesting stuff .

Big Jim doing well out in Cleveland

Comment

Interesting stuff .

Big Jim doing well out in Cleveland
                  GREAT player, GREAT person.

Comment

Originally posted by Clean Liver View Post

It was easily the best lecture I ever attended. He is very well spoken.

I actually think about some of the stuff he said every now-and-again.

Comment

Originally posted by Clean Liver View Post

It was easily the best lecture I ever attended. He is very well spoken.

I actually think about some of the stuff he said every now-and-again.
                      Had a few college classes with him. Kinda took me under his wings a bit at times in the media stuff. Very highly regarded in my mind!

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

Had a few college classes with him. Kinda took me under his wings a bit at times in the media stuff. Very highly regarded in my mind!
                        That's good to hear!

Coach Bullerman was in attendance too. I believe those two played together? They had a couple back-and-forths, it was clear that Jim must have been pretty well respected amongst his peers.

Comment

Lucas Fischer entering the transfer portal. Best of luck to him. Great kid. He's graduating so off to graduate school. hopefully he gets to play that last year somewhere.

Comment

Scrimmage against MSU scheduled for 4/10. This article makes it sound like spectators might be a possibility, though given how it's being held at the practice field I'm not going to get my hopes up:

Five Scrimmages, One Game Highlight Football Spring Schedule - Minnesota State University - Mankato Athletics (msumavericks.com)

I also posted this in the basketball thread, but former SMSU MBB HC Tim Miles is a finalist for the New Mexico job, along with former Gopher MBB coach Richard Pitino:

Report: Gophers to 'part ways' with basketball coach Richard Pitino - Bring Me The News

It seems like Miles still holds SMSU in high regard despite not having been with us since 2001 - and I've respected him for that. I wish him well.

Comment

I might be late to the party on this one so I apologize if it's common knowledge - but were we aware that Gannon Moore is on the USA National Rugby team?

Gannon Moore | USA Rugby Eagle Profiles

Looks like he even got to play against the All Blacks at Soldier Field. I know nothing of the sport but I know the All Blacks are a big team from New Zealand.

Comment

Scrimmage against MSU scheduled for 4/10. This article makes it sound like spectators might be a possibility, though given how it's being held at the practice field I'm not going to get my hopes up:

Five Scrimmages, One Game Highlight Football Spring Schedule - Minnesota State University - Mankato Athletics (msumavericks.com)

I also posted this in the basketball thread, but former SMSU MBB HC Tim Miles is a finalist for the New Mexico job, along with former Gopher MBB coach Richard Pitino:

Report: Gophers to 'part ways' with basketball coach Richard Pitino - Bring Me The News

It seems like Miles still holds SMSU in high regard despite not having been with us since 2001 - and I've respected him for that. I wish him well.
                                UMary grad Tim Miles has made a name for himself as a program builder. It seems like schools are over his ability. I thought he would get more of a look at the UNLV job. Hopefully he gets another sniff some where soon.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X