Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It has been a topic of interest on another thread and with our HC job open I did some asking.

I believe SMSU is at 24 scholarships based on what I have been told. I said earlier we were between 24-26 and that appears to be correct.

Someone said under 20 what appears to not be correct.

This is based upon asking "at this time for 2022 season".

So:

1. Not enough
    2. Hard to expect much more than the occasional 7-4 or 8-3
    3. Still should be able to expect 6-5 and 5-6 though
    4. Unless they plan to get to 30 over the next 3 years we will still be behind the 8 ball.
    5. It ought to be a question everyone in town asks when asked for donations and what's "the plan" to make us competitve with other schools in 30+

Comment

• Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
      So I recently stumbled upon the name of the guy who was the other finalist for the job when Sauter got it. It was Greg Breitbach. At the time, he was at UND as offensive coordinator. Since then, he spent 5 years in the PSAC at Millersville (10-45 record) and the last 4 seasons at UW-Stevens Point (9-23).
      Sure it wasn't Andy Carr?

Comment

• Originally posted by MrMustang View Post
        It has been a topic of interest on another thread and with our HC job open I did some asking.

I believe SMSU is at 24 scholarships based on what I have been told. I said earlier we were between 24-26 and that appears to be correct.

So:

1. Not enough
        4. Unless they plan to get to 30 over the next 3 years we will still be behind the 8 ball.
        5. It ought to be a question everyone in town asks when asked for donations and what's "the plan" to make us competitve with other schools in 30+
        Isn't SMSU ono of the most affordable universities to attend in MN? If so, what difference does 24 or 30 make between 90-100 scholarship players?

Comment

• Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post

Isn't SMSU ono of the most affordable universities to attend in MN? If so, what difference does 24 or 30 make between 90-100 scholarship players?
          All the MNSCU school are similar in cost

Comment

It has been a topic of interest on another thread and with our HC job open I did some asking.

So:

1. Not enough

I'd also inquired about this over the weekend....and yes, mid 20's is what I'd heard. Last time I'd chatted with Cory about this topic (as few years back) it was lower..so that's a positive overall. That said, my source did mention the school was looking to make this move quicker than longer..which is good also. I just assumed WSU would be first, but I'm now unsure there. I'm unsure if SW getting to 30 is realistic in a small community and not having been real committed that way in the past. At this point I'd think the goal at SW would be to be competitive again and then take baby steps from there. When losing nearly 20 straight home games it's hard to think 8-3 or something. Marshall is not an easy place to have a sustained winner in football but I'm excited to see what direction this hire and staff head towards.

Comment

We're about 50 bucks/credit cheaper than Mankato, last I looked. I'm not sure where the other MinnState's fall but it's probably all within that range.

Comment

• Originally posted by Clean Liver View Post

Sure it wasn't Andy Carr?
                Carr might have been in contention with Sauter as the in-house candidate before Cory was named the interim, but it was definitely Breitbach.

https://smsumustangs.com/news/2010/3...322101946.aspx

Comment

Carr might have been in contention with Sauter as the in-house candidate before Cory was named the interim, but it was definitely Breitbach.

I stand corrected...for once. :-)

Comment

Really hope Cory finds what he wants (or could be content of taking a year off of football) and maybe stays in the nsic. Really sounds like a very nice down to earth guy that always had one hand tied behind him. I have a lot of respect for him as a mav fan.

Comment

$19,000 to attend SMSU, Bemidji, Moorhead, Winona, Mankato -- all about the same price. UMD is $7000 more.

6 more scholarships is 12 difference makers on half scholarship. makes a huge difference

Comment

$19,000 to attend SMSU, Bemidji, Moorhead, Winona, Mankato -- all about the same price. UMD is $7000 more.

6 more scholarships is 12 difference makers on half scholarship. makes a huge difference
                        The school always brags about the tuition reciprocity....is that even a big deal or do all schools have something like that?

Comment

The school always brags about the tuition reciprocity....is that even a big deal or do all schools have something like that?
                          I have been told, UMD has less scholarship exactly for that reason, it costs $7000 more a yr. that is $4200 more for 6 more scholarships that the state university system.

Comment

• Originally posted by Umdfan35 View Post

I have been told, UMD has less scholarship exactly for that reason, it costs $7000 more a yr. that is $4200 more for 6 more scholarships that the state university system.
                            That would not be considered at UMTC, you can be sure they have full complement of 84 scholarships.

Comment

Kinda yes, but mostly no. Here's how that all works:

-SMSU is unique in the sense that it doesn't offer OOS tuition. Not a lot of schools do that, and it has landed us on lists of most affordable for OOS students nationwide in the past. That can be a nice benefit, depending on where the student is from.

-Aside from what SMSU offers, reciprocity is negotiated between states. Minnesota has reciprocity with SD, ND, WI, and MB. For students coming from those states, the playing field is leveled just like it is for MN students. Is the extra $50 saved per semester worth not going to MSU? (rhetorical question)

Then there are also these two points to consider:

-Often, these OOS affordability lists are filled with other D2 state schools and FCS HBCU's almost exclusively. A hypothetical recruit to Ark Tech, Kearney, and SMSU won't have to factor cost in. Rogers State, Truman State, and Delta State are three others that jump out at me on this list I'm reading, but there are more too.

-The undisputed king of OOS affordability no matter how the criteria is laid out is Minot State. They top just about every list out there, and there's usually a significant gap between them and #2. I remember looking and they have a pretty interesting tuition structure. In any case, it hasn't helped their football team - and ours is definitely a much stronger program, all things considered.

This probably doesn't apply to football, but being wedged in between Mankato and SDSU doesn't help either on the academic side of enrollment since we're all relatively the same price.

That's probably a longer answer than you wanted, but it's what I know.

Comment

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

Kinda yes, but mostly no. Here's how that all works:

-SMSU is unique in the sense that it doesn't offer OOS tuition. Not a lot of schools do that, and it has landed us on lists of most affordable for OOS students nationwide in the past. That can be a nice benefit, depending on where the student is from.

-Aside from what SMSU offers, reciprocity is negotiated between states. Minnesota has reciprocity with SD, ND, WI, and MB. For students coming from those states, the playing field is leveled just like it is for MN students. Is the extra $50 saved per semester worth not going to MSU? (rhetorical question)

Then there are also these two points to consider:

-Often, these OOS affordability lists are filled with other D2 state schools and FCS HBCU's almost exclusively. A hypothetical recruit to Ark Tech, Kearney, and SMSU won't have to factor cost in. Rogers State, Truman State, and Delta State are three others that jump out at me on this list I'm reading, but there are more too.

-The undisputed king of OOS affordability no matter how the criteria is laid out is Minot State. They top just about every list out there, and there's usually a significant gap between them and #2. I remember looking and they have a pretty interesting tuition structure. In any case, it hasn't helped their football team - and ours is definitely a much stronger program, all things considered.

This probably doesn't apply to football, but being wedged in between Mankato and SDSU doesn't help either on the academic side of enrollment since we're all relatively the same price.

That's probably a longer answer than you wanted, but it's what I know.
                                No actually that's a great reply, thanks! I also thought I had remembered in the past that Iowa had reciprocity, but I had noticed it doesn't currently. That seems strange to me, but as you said probably not a big deal.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X