Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
    No actually that's a great reply, thanks! I also thought I had remembered in the past that Iowa had reciprocity, but I had noticed it doesn't currently. That seems strange to me, but as you said probably not a big deal.
    Neat! Iowa was an odd one. I think we do have a limited agreement with Iowa Western, but that's it - and I'm not sure what those terms are.

Honestly, I think it's just a marketing tool more than anything. It's not hurting us to have it, and it probably doesn't make sense to charge OOS tuition anyway - so we should keep it. That being said, the section of students that can truly benefit from it is probably pretty narrow.

Since we do recruit a lot of athletes from out of the MN/SD/ND area, it might actually be more of a benefit to them than the general student body - but when scholarships get involved, the benefit of the tuition structure might get a little blurred. Also, generally speaking, do athletes really look at tuition when picking schools? I don't know as I wasn't one.

Comment

• To be frank, our school was largely abandoned by previous administrations. The new one is too new for me to have a solid opinion (especially with the COVID year), but this (from September) is encouraging. Our infrastructure is quite abysmal. I think to truly fix the athletic department, we need to consider all aspects of the student athlete experience.

SMSU plans $28 million building renovation | News, Sports, Jobs - Marshall Independent

Comment

• Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
        No actually that's a great reply, thanks! I also thought I had remembered in the past that Iowa had reciprocity, but I had noticed it doesn't currently. That seems strange to me, but as you said probably not a big deal.
        MN and Iowa don't have reciprocity, but SMSU offers in state tuition to Iowa students. Many other schools don't so we should be recruiting Iowa harder.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrMustang View Post

MN and Iowa don't have reciprocity, but SMSU offers in state tuition to Iowa students. Many other schools don't so we should be recruiting Iowa harder.
          It's offered to all students regardless of where they are from, but yes - Iowa is where it would be the biggest benefit given the proximity.

Comment

• Any word on the candidates or when the interviewing starts???

Comment

• Originally posted by Cavalier 1 View Post
              Any word on the candidates or when the interviewing starts???
              Haven't heard, but I'm not that connected to the situation. I'm sure they want to keep it under wraps.

Comment

• All I know is there is a committe in place. I believe they are taking applications and will be narrowing down to interviews. No idea if they will interview 4 or 10. I think then there will be finalists for another round of interviews

Comment

• Not sure if anyone here would be interested but I'll share anyway - SMSU eSports will be on Pioneer Public tonight at 9PM, and should be uploaded online after.

I've heard some good things about the program since launch. Seems it's got a lot of participation and has drawn in a handful of students who probably wouldn't have otherwise come here.

Comment

• Article on SMSU DB Ken Truitt:

Meet 2022 NFL Draft Prospect Ken Truitt, DB, Southwest Minnesota St (nfldraftdiamonds.com)

Comment

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
                      Hope he makes it. Would be a great source of pride for the Mustang faithful.

Comment

• Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post

Hope he makes it. Would be a great source of pride for the Mustang faithful.
                        Yeah - it's probably a longshot, but it is for almost every NSIC athlete that makes it.

We've been left behind in the race to the NFL, so it would be nice for us to cross that bridge.

Comment

• While I would love to see him or others from the conference make it....however, these "draft sites" are more for clicks than guys who'll be getting a legit shot of making the league. I'm just being real honest and forthcoming here. Often times the guys who land on the All-Conf team can be a starting point for that kinda deep look and then if guys get invites for legit all star kinda games..not the games where they have to pay $$ to participate. That said, our D2 guy Josh Buchanon will have a list in a month or so.

Saw Zylstra played and caught a few balls for the Lions the other day. Terrific to see.

SMSU interviews....heard they started zoom calls this week and then will narrow down a group from there.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post
                            While I would love to see him or others from the conference make it....however, these "draft sites" are more for clicks than guys who'll be getting a legit shot of making the league. I'm just being real honest and forthcoming here. Often times the guys who land on the All-Conf team can be a starting point for that kinda deep look and then if guys get invites for legit all star kinda games..not the games where they have to pay $$ to participate. That said, our D2 guy Josh Buchanon will have a list in a month or so.

Saw Zylstra played and caught a few balls for the Lions the other day. Terrific to see.

SMSU interviews....heard they started zoom calls this week and then will narrow down a group from there.
                            My sense is finalists on campus next week -- the week of Christmas and/or the week following Christmas depending on schedules. Decision around December 31, which is fine

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post
                              While I would love to see him or others from the conference make it....however, these "draft sites" are more for clicks than guys who'll be getting a legit shot of making the league. I'm just being real honest and forthcoming here. Often times the guys who land on the All-Conf team can be a starting point for that kinda deep look and then if guys get invites for legit all star kinda games..not the games where they have to pay $$ to participate. That said, our D2 guy Josh Buchanon will have a list in a month or so.

Didn't want to state it publicly since I'm sure some of those sites have people on the board, but I do agree. I just shared it because it was an interview (questionnaire?) with an SMSU player, fwiw. It popped up in my SMSU google news search.

Love the work Josh does. I think the only prospect from the conference he's watching is the OL from Minot, I forget his name. I used to follow the baseball draft religiously back in the day, and that's flowed over to the NSIC. I like to know who to watch for when I go to games.

Happy for Shane. It must have been a huge blow to not be drafted/signed in 2019 after his great MSU career. I was thrilled to see him stick with it.

Comment

• Without looking up names....as I'm heading out the door in a min....here are some names that I think will get more of a shot than others..

OL guy from UMD..Brett Laing....Josh has already made mention to me about him being on the radar.

DT from Augie..Logan Swanson..size/motor combo there

DE from UIU Erik Hanson....great motor and awesome defender on a bad squad

I'd love to see my guy Jake Balliu from Winona, the swiss army knife WR/PR....but I'm guessing his slight size doesn't help him get into a camp, etc. A guy like Gunner O helps all the small college guys..but that only goes so far.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X