Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post

Certainly the University will interview a number of people after they are vetted. They have to get this one right. Better to hire a rising star who is building their resume and may only stay for 5-7 years IMO. Wayne State appears to have got their man, so can SMSU as you have a beautiful stadium and a larger town close to a metro area of 3.5m.
    Yeah, this will be an important one. I'm choosing to be hopeful. We have a new AD too, so I'm curious to see how he handles this. I'm fine with a short-term guy so long as it helps us become more competitive in the long-term.

I made it down to KO for the first time last week. Really enjoyed your stadium. Vikings looked good too.

Comment

• It's been a pretty wild week for SMSU:

Saturday: WBB beats #15 UNK
      Tuesday: Cory Sauter steps down
      Thursday: Terry Culhane retires
      Friday: MBB plays in Kenosha after the KR verdict

No political discussion on the last one, please. Just an interesting tidbit during a historical event, and that's all I care about.

Should also be noted that the UWP gym is a good five miles from the court house, but still - interesting.

Comment

• Scholarships, Facilities & Staffing needs to be addressed first and foremost. Bring back somebody that was on staff in 2015 when they had their best season in D2 history.

Comment

• Originally posted by UMary1 View Post
          Any powerhouse Minnesota HS coaches who could possibly make the leap? See Jeff Traylor at Texas-San Antonio.
          Minneota Coach Chad Johnston is an intriguing thought. Was a great player at SMSU in the glory days of the late 80s and early 90s. Been great at Minneota. But no idea if he would be intested, Has a good gig in Minneota.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrMustang View Post

Minneota Coach Chad Johnston is an intriguing thought. Was a great player at SMSU in the glory days of the late 80s and early 90s. Been great at Minneota. But no idea if he would be intested, Has a good gig in Minneota.
            If SMSU cannot compare favorably with Minneota high school, they are in a worse spot than I thought.

Comment

• Ran into Scott Underwood (formerly the head coach of St. Cloud) at the Augie game on Saturday. He's an Augie grad and former coach there..was at USF also for that matter. Anyway, such a good guy. Since there wasn't jobs opening up during COVID, he's been laying low but is interested to get back into coaching again. He'd be a real nice fit for SMSU, me thinks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post
                Ran into Scott Underwood (formerly the head coach of St. Cloud) at the Augie game on Saturday. He's an Augie grad and former coach there..was at USF also for that matter. Anyway, such a good guy. Since there wasn't jobs opening up during COVID, he's been laying low but is interested to get back into coaching again. He'd be a real nice fit for SMSU, me thinks.
                I think that he worked miracles at SCSU considering the budget restraints that he faced. Either as a head or assistant coach I think he would be a catch.

Comment

• There's plenty of guys who've worked under Scott at some point and some who are available/willing to work for him again..given the ups and downs with the profession. He'd be able to get a few experienced guys and not just have a green staff. The fact he's from right up the road but knows how to recruit the twin cities, knows Sioux Falls well, and so forth....super friendly guy like Cory was..has good experience....a lot of win/win with Scott Underwood at SMSU..just sayin.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post
                    Ran into Scott Underwood (formerly the head coach of St. Cloud) at the Augie game on Saturday. He's an Augie grad and former coach there..was at USF also for that matter. Anyway, such a good guy. Since there wasn't jobs opening up during COVID, he's been laying low but is interested to get back into coaching again. He'd be a real nice fit for SMSU, me thinks.
                    I was thinking about him, surprised he hadn't resurfaced anywhere.

Comment

• Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post

If SMSU cannot compare favorably with Minneota high school, they are in a worse spot than I thought.
                      You would think so, but he is probably 10 years from retirement. Gets paid a lot. Has no pressure because they are always good.

Comment

• 12 years is a good long run in this profession. I don't know much about him, but he seemed like a decent guy, always brought recruits in, but retention tough. One thing, he had UIU's number, think we only beat them once or twice during his regime and almost every year I thought we were going to trounce them and they'd have our number. This year as well - while we weren't good, was a game I thought we'd win at home fairly easily...once again SMSU takes the W. Wish him the best - tough spot, but seemed like a decent guy and coach.

Comment

You would think so, but he is probably 10 years from retirement. Gets paid a lot. Has no pressure because they are always good.
                          Minneota is just a different beast. Would not be worried in the slightest if their HC doesn't want to come down. If we're talking about Lakeview or YME - then yeah, we might have a problem.

Comment

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

Minneota is just a different beast. Would not be worried in the slightest if their HC doesn't want to come down. If we're talking about Lakeview or YME - then yeah, we might have a problem.
                            I think the intrigue is it worked with Terry Culhane going frok HS to college in volleyball. It is worth pndering it might work in football too. I agree they are different and the challenges at SMSU are different for football too. But Culhane worked out great.

Comment

I think the intrigue is it worked with Terry Culhane going frok HS to college in volleyball. It is worth pndering it might work in football too. I agree they are different and the challenges at SMSU are different for football too. But Culhane worked out great.
                              Oh definitely - I think it can work if it's the right person with the right mindset.

I just meant that Minneota is probably not a program where a coach would be looking to move up. Seems like a pretty good job. I'm not worried about our program if their HC hypothetically wouldn't want to come down.

Comment

• So I recently stumbled upon the name of the guy who was the other finalist for the job when Sauter got it. It was Greg Breitbach. At the time, he was at UND as offensive coordinator. Since then, he spent 5 years in the PSAC at Millersville (10-45 record) and the last 4 seasons at UW-Stevens Point (9-23).

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X