Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MrMustang View Post
    Will be interesting to see the pool of candidates.
    I'm guessing Shay will be a finalist. After that, I've been racking my brain to think of guys who might find the job attractive.

Comment

• Something was very wrong with this team on Saturday. I actually dreaded going, and you could just see it on the sidelines. So in that regard, I guess this isn't a huge surprise in hindsight now that I think about it. Maybe this is for the best.

I can't imagine this was an easy decision, and he did have a nice run from 2013-2015. Certainly wish him the best.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

I'm guessing Shay will be a finalist. After that, I've been racking my brain to think of guys who might find the job attractive.
        Maybe we can convince Tom Sawyer to give it one more year to get things in motion. Kinda like what SCSU did with Herb Brooks back in the day.

Nah, it won't happen. It would be interesting though.

Comment

• As others have said....fantastic guy who's put in a tough place to win. Lower scholarship count and a remote small town setting and a program that doesn't have winning look in the eyes of recruits. Really hard to microwave success at SW. I think you'd see mild interest from some of the better coordinators in the league. The quick look from any of those candidates is "can I win there" versus their interest to be a head coach and run their own deal. If there's going to be turnover in Winona is does make ya wonder if a few of those coaches wouldn't eyeball this opening. Boyer Bouman came to mind also, but I just don't think he's moved into high profile enough roles to be considered..although I think he's looked at favorably there locally.

It'd be wild if Sauter ended up at Winona in some form of fashion (Head Coach, OC, etc). He's still well-respected..all the more near Gopher land. Sauter did win 8 and 7 games at SMSU.

Some of the same names that are in for Winona might very well be looking at SW....possibly Coach Glo, James Schrenk (Augie OC), or maybe they just stay with Coach McClure and give him a shot since he had that gig at Dixie.

I would love to see Coach Sauter resurface in some way in the NSIC..super accommodating guy and few guys just like to talk football during my calls than Cory.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post
            As others have said....fantastic guy who's put in a tough place to win. Lower scholarship count and a remote small town setting and a program that doesn't have winning look in the eyes of recruits. Really hard to microwave success at SW. I think you'd see mild interest from some of the better coordinators in the league. The quick look from any of those candidates is "can I win there" versus their interest to be a head coach and run their own deal. If there's going to be turnover in Winona is does make ya wonder if a few of those coaches wouldn't eyeball this opening. Boyer Bouman came to mind also, but I just don't think he's moved into high profile enough roles to be considered..although I think he's looked at favorably there locally.

It'd be wild if Sauter ended up at Winona in some form of fashion (Head Coach, OC, etc). He's still well-respected..all the more near Gopher land. Sauter did win 8 and 7 games at SMSU.

Some of the same names that are in for Winona might very well be looking at SW....possibly Coach Glo, James Schrenk (Augie OC), or maybe they just stay with Coach McClure and give him a shot since he had that gig at Dixie.

I would love to see Coach Sauter resurface in some way in the NSIC..super accommodating guy and few guys just like to talk football during my calls than Cory.
            I tend to agree. Not sure the interest level we'll see from candidates who are current NSIC assistants.

One name I've wondered about.....is Marshall an easier or harder place to win than Minot? Would say Mike Aldrich view a return to Marshall as a step up? Another thought that just came to mind....though he's never been a head coach, someone with a ton of NSIC experience and a decent amount of success is Brian Frana.

Could there be some FCS coaches try to make a jump to be a first time coach?

Comment

• Frana is apart of the coaching group that was just handed the reins down in Decorah. Makes me wonder if he's maybe not a potential candidate down there already. Probably a less attractive option than Marshall though, and definitely just speculation on my part.

Comment

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
                Frana is apart of the coaching group that was just handed the reins down in Decorah. Makes me wonder if he's maybe not a potential candidate down there already. Probably a less attractive option than Marshall though, and definitely just speculation on my part.
                Yes, I saw that. On one hand, it's his backyard having grown up in that area. On the other hand, it's a D3 program that hasn't won more than 1 game since 2017. As down as the Mustangs have been, we're not that down by comparison.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

I tend to agree. Not sure the interest level we'll see from candidates who are current NSIC assistants.

One name I've wondered about.....is Marshall an easier or harder place to win than Minot? Would say Mike Aldrich view a return to Marshall as a step up? Another thought that just came to mind....though he's never been a head coach, someone with a ton of NSIC experience and a decent amount of success is Brian Frana.

Could there be some FCS coaches try to make a jump to be a first time coach?

Comment

• A couple other names with SMSU ties who have had some D2 success outside the NSIC as coordinators are Anthony Kerr (last at BHSU in 2019) and Dom Mirocke (Henderson State).

Comment

• There will be good candidates and some surpise candidates. There always are.

I think you might get some MAIA guys who have head success and head coaches. Whether that can translate is always a question, but there will be interest from them. D2 and the NSIC is a nice step up.

There will also be guys with SMSU ties interested. Whcih ones, no idea, but they are out there.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrMustang View Post
                        There will be good candidates and some surpise candidates. There always are.

I think you might get some MAIA guys who have head success and head coaches. Whether that can translate is always a question, but there will be interest from them. D2 and the NSIC is a nice step up.

There will also be guys with SMSU ties interested. Whcih ones, no idea, but they are out there.
                        I've been looking around NAIA and D3 ranks as well. Repeat what Northern recently did with their hire.

Comment

• Any powerhouse Minnesota HS coaches who could possibly make the leap? See Jeff Traylor at Texas-San Antonio.

Comment

• Originally posted by UMary1 View Post
                            Any powerhouse Minnesota HS coaches who could possibly make the leap? See Jeff Traylor at Texas-San Antonio.
                            Maybe Bahlmann wants a challenge and would be willing to go double duty running both the Tigers and the Mustangs?

Seriously though, I don't follow HS but he seems like an impressive coach. MHS is fortunate to have him.

Comment

• Honestly, keeping it in the family scares me on this one. Hopefully we bring in an outsider, preferably someone with some bigger school experience (be that D2 or FCS) who is a winner in whatever role they are currently in. I know, that's easy for me to say, but it's just my opinion on the matter.

My biggest fear is that we will create an echo chamber. I've seen it happen in other areas of the university. We can't "win", but we also can't change - so we just expect the problem to resolve itself. Then we wonder why our enrollment drops. That's one example. Kinda tired of it, honestly.

Comment

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
                                Honestly, keeping it in the family scares me on this one. Hopefully we bring in an outsider, preferably someone with some bigger school experience (be that D2 or FCS) who is a winner in whatever role they are currently in. I know, that's easy for me to say, but it's just my opinion on the matter.

My biggest fear is that we will create an echo chamber. I've seen it happen in other areas of the university. We can't "win", but we also can't change - so we just expect the problem to resolve itself. Then we wonder why our enrollment drops. That's one example. Kinda tired of it, honestly.
                                Certainly the University will interview a number of people after they are vetted. They have to get this one right. Better to hire a rising star who is building their resume and may only stay for 5-7 years IMO. Wayne State appears to have got their man, so can SMSU as you have a beautiful stadium and a larger town close to a metro area of 3.5m.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X