Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes, I do really appreciate what we have for a stadium. The decision to build a D1 soccer stadium for use as a D2 football stadium was pretty genius. It would be nice if we could upgrade a couple things and give some parts a spit shine after 13 years, but overall I really can't complain. The partnership between the city/college/high school to get these facilities up has been amazing.

I'm rooting for you guys to get something better in Mankato. I think the team has earned it more than anything. Though I do love the field and views from the Blake, I think it's time to move on... especially after what Northern built.

I know it sounds like I'm putting my own team down - it's not that, I just have to be realistic. My *hope* is that this roster reset gives us a fresh start and the team uses this year to gain experience and mesh together. The expectation for next year will be a lot stronger. We'll see what happens.

Comment

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

I thought it was the other way around, but I checked and that is correct - Bouman started the season, then Nava played in two games, gets hurt, then Herrera plays against USF, then Bouman comes back.
      We beat Wayne if Boyer and Nava don't get hurt. Changes the season maybe, who knows. Regardless, this is the first year in since about 2002 we haven't had a stud qb throwing the ball.

Haidet actually can run well and is very big and fast. Watch the Sherwood TD last against CSP, Haidet follows him down the field and actually gains on him. Impressive speed for a kid that size.

Comment

I get it, but if someone was expecting this team to go 4-7 this year and then gets upset when they don't - their emotions are on them. The writing was on the wall before camp even opened. That's just reality sometimes. NSU honestly should have blown us out by 25+, but didn't for some odd reason. Not a whole lot different than being upset because the basketball team was 3-8 during the winter.

That aside, yes - I do agree with those records and they are rational expectations the team and coaching staff should be held too. 6-5 every year would be a dream for this program. Maybe even beating Mankato for once in our lives... I'll go back to being disappointed/upset once we get an actual DII roster again.
        The first 5 games were all WINNABLE. There was a real chance to start 5-0.... or at least 3-2. Moorhead and Northern were tossups. Mary and Upper Iowa we were / are slight favorites. CSP probably a toss up too. Regardless starting 0-3 the way we did was a problem. The was a chance to really get off to a good start and move the program forward.

There is still that chaCE IF WE REALLY, but a winning season certainly was possible.

Comment

• Agree. Our stadium is amazing.

Our locker room are hideous. worst in the league. We need to upgrade those for recruiting and competitve balance. Also our budget and scholarship is still not on par, but IS better than before so we can at least compete.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrMustang View Post

The first 5 games were all WINNABLE. There was a real chance to start 5-0.... or at least 3-2. Moorhead and Northern were tossups. Mary and Upper Iowa we were / are slight favorites. CSP probably a toss up too. Regardless starting 0-3 the way we did was a problem. The was a chance to really get off to a good start and move the program forward.

There is still that chaCE IF WE REALLY, but a winning season certainly was possible.
            Not saying 5-0 was given, but 3-2 or 4-1 was certainly attainable. That puts a whole new perspcetive on things vs 0-3. Now, if we can win this weekend and get to 2-3, that is progress.

Comment

Agree. Our stadium is amazing.

Our locker room are hideous. worst in the league. We need to upgrade those for recruiting and competitve balance. Also our budget and scholarship is still not on par, but IS better than before so we can at least compete.
              Agreed. The locker facilities are abysmal.

Would also like the following:

-Enclosed suite staircases
              -Heated concourse
              -Visitor seating
              -New/Bigger videoboard

I also imagine the turf is going to need to be replaced in the next few years. A better entrance area would be nice too, but that's neither here nor there.

Comment

IMO - there are two ways to look at it. Yes, I'll agree with you in hindsight that those games were winnable, and in that regard it is a disappointment. However, I set my expectation heading into the season at either a 1-10, or 2-9 finish - which is about roughly where the preseason polls have us ranked, apparently.

If they meet/exceed my expectations, I really have nothing to complain about. It might be a pessimistic approach to being a fan of my favorite college football team, but I also don't like the idea of false hope. I watch Vikings and Gophers fans do it every single season. Not interested in that.

I'll put it this way - I had a great seat in week one at the Blake watching NSU drag the #2 Mavs around on their own home field for a few quarters. The fact that they didn't hang a 35+ deficit on us the following week really, truly surprised me.

Comment

• The day will come when the Mustangs will turn the corner. If BSU, MSUM and WSC can put a good product on the field so can SMSU. You have some advantages over those schools, You're less then 3 hours from TC, great stadium, nice city and excellent fan base that would really show up for a winning product. I was really impressed in 2018, at the BB tournament how many loud fans came to Sioux Falls or was it 2017? SMSU has had won in the past.

Comment

• Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
                    The day will come when the Mustangs will turn the corner. If BSU, MSUM and WSC can put a good product on the field so can SMSU. You have some advantages over those schools, You're less then 3 hours from TC, great stadium, nice city and excellent fan base that would really show up for a winning product. I was really impressed in 2018, at the BB tournament how many loud fans came to Sioux Falls or was it 2017? SMSU has had won in the past.
                    I think so too. We are truly fortunate to have the facilities and fanbase that we do. I still need to make it down to Augustana for a football game one of these years... basketball too. Would love to see the two teams matchup in both sports. I just wish we could play football in the earlier part of the season, for obvious reasons!

My hope for the team this year isn't about wins and losses. It's about building something. I've only been able to go to one game this year, but I thought the talent was there. What's lacking is the experience and cohesion as a unit. If this team progresses on a weekly basis, works hard, and doesn't give up on themselves - I'll be happy. I'll be even happier if the coaches work on getting the team to buy into some kind of vision for the future. That being said, if those two things happen - I will be expecting some wins next season.

Maybe I'm just talking out of my rear end too - who knows.

Comment

Agreed. The locker facilities are abysmal.

Would also like the following:

-Enclosed suite staircases
                      -Heated concourse
                      -Visitor seating
                      -New/Bigger videoboard

I also imagine the turf is going to need to be replaced in the next few years. A better entrance area would be nice too, but that's neither here nor there.
                      enclosed suite staircases is a waste of $$$ - there is an elevator for people who want that

heated concourse is probably awesome but an extra given that only 2 games a year really that cold. Would curious as to the cost though. would be quite an amenity.

to me the visitor seating should be built into the hill on that side. would look good.

New scoreboard would be good but likely down the road.

I believe the turf is set to be replaced this next summer.

Comment

IMO - there are two ways to look at it. Yes, I'll agree with you in hindsight that those games were winnable, and in that regard it is a disappointment. However, I set my expectation heading into the season at either a 1-10, or 2-9 finish - which is about roughly where the preseason polls have us ranked, apparently.

If they meet/exceed my expectations, I really have nothing to complain about. It might be a pessimistic approach to being a fan of my favorite college football team, but I also don't like the idea of false hope. I watch Vikings and Gophers fans do it every single season. Not interested in that.

I'll put it this way - I had a great seat in week one at the Blake watching NSU drag the #2 Mavs around on their own home field for a few quarters. The fact that they didn't hang a 35+ deficit on us the following week really, truly surprised me.
                        my expectations were a winning season. certainly not as low as yours

Comment

enclosed suite staircases is a waste of $$$ - there is an elevator for people who want that

heated concourse is probably awesome but an extra given that only 2 games a year really that cold. Would curious as to the cost though. would be quite an amenity.

to me the visitor seating should be built into the hill on that side. would look good.

New scoreboard would be good but likely down the road.

I believe the turf is set to be replaced this next summer.
                          The staircases is mostly for looks. Having them exposed is kinda tacky. I'd also have to wonder if it's not a hazard during inclement weather, but like you said we have the elevator and it hasn't been a problem so far. I just don't like the way it looks.

I've spent far too much time in the bathroom trying to stay warm in between possessions to not want a heated concourse. It would also be nice for HS playoffs. I can't imagine it would be crazy expensive.

I've often wondered if better visitor seating would increase visitor attendance by any noticeable amount. Probably not, but who knows.

The videoboard is outdated and it might not even be supported by the manufacturer anymore, meaning replacement parts when needed (and not "if") are going to be expensive and hard to find. Definitely a project for down the road, though I am thankful we have something since a lot of schools don't. Could probably charge more for advertising too.

I just hope they put the new logo on the turf. I can't stand the old one. It would make the field pop more.

Comment

my expectations were a winning season. certainly not as low as yours
                            I'm not going to hope for something that's not a realistic possibility. This is not a 6 win team this year. I'll adjust my expectations accordingly next year.

That being said, I think we laid out our reasoning on this - not much more to say about it.

Comment

• No idea what to expect on Saturday. We have been playing better but it appears USF has figured things out too. We have never beaten USF since they have joined the NSIC.

Comment

• The Mustangs have actually had a middle of the road defense this year, both against the run and the pass. It's just too bad that along with it has come such a horrid passing attack.

I believe someone mentioned somewhere on these parts that Justus McComb is the future at QB. At what point do we just say screw the redshirt year and throw him in there? I don't feel like anything is being gained by the current QB situation.....both figuratively and literally.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X