Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, basically hoping for a miracle this week. It's a tough position to be in. A lot of teams hope to be that one to knock off either Mankato or Duluth. With the latter, Wayne State took that role and now the Bulldogs are coming in fired up and with a tremendous desire to bounce back.

Considering how the defense has played, it's going to be incredibly difficult for the Dragons to overcome Duluth. The Dragons basically need to play a perfect game and some luck to go their way. Basically, lightning needs to strike twice.

It's Homecoming week, maybe some magic will be in the air.

Also a side note, both the Dragons and Gophers are 2-2, and they have yet to win on the same day unfortunately.

Comment

There will be footballs in the air Saturday. I'd say at least 70 passes thrown between the two teams.

I'm thinking Dragons will pull an upset this season and become bowl eligible. If only we had more then 1 bowl.

Comment

Originally posted by IceBoxDragon View Post
        So, basically hoping for a miracle this week. It's a tough position to be in. A lot of teams hope to be that one to knock off either Mankato or Duluth. With the latter, Wayne State took that role and now the Bulldogs are coming in fired up and with a tremendous desire to bounce back.

Considering how the defense has played, it's going to be incredibly difficult for the Dragons to overcome Duluth. The Dragons basically need to play a perfect game and some luck to go their way. Basically, lightning needs to strike twice.

It's Homecoming week, maybe some magic will be in the air.

Also a side note, both the Dragons and Gophers are 2-2, and they have yet to win on the same day unfortunately.
        I bet the Dragons could have beaten Bowling Green, unlike the gophers :)

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post

I bet the Dragons could have beaten Bowling Green, unlike the gophers :)
          Yeah as a Gophers fan that was tough to watch.

Comment

Yeah as a Gophers fan that was tough to watch.

Comment

Heartbreaking loss today, but a lot of good on the field. The way the defense clamped down was exceptional and I think if the Dragons play like they did going forward they should have some success during the rest of the season.

Comment

So five games into the season, this is about where I expected the Dragons to be at. Wins against Upper Iowa and SMSU, losses to Winona, Augustana and UMD. I said before it was a tough way to start out the season and it turned out to be right, especially with two of the losses to Top 25 teams.

I am glad that the Dragons performed somewhat well in the three losses. Holding back Winona State and leading into the fourth quarter, pushing back against the Vikings to end the first half and keeping UMD scoreless in the first half. Don't get me wrong, it still sucks that these games ended up being losses, especially the UMD game.

I think the Dragons have shown to be competitive against tough opponents, though, and they deserve credit. They also deserve credit for their win against the Peacocks, fighting back and winning a game that could have slipped away.

Looking ahead, MSUM has six games left and needs four for a winning record. I think with how the Dragons have played so far, that's possible. The first step is getting past Minot State, which then would set up a big showdown with Bemidji for the Axe. If MSUM wins those two, its sets up a really good opportunity at home against Mary for the Paddle and against Northern State. I'm glad to be playing the Wolves at home rather than their great new stadium.

Here are some of the leaders on the team so far.
                Defense
                • DL Jordan Magnuson (SR) - 13 solo tackles, 3 TFL, one fumble recovery
                • DL Darius Woods-Steichen (SR) - 6 solo tackles, 3 TFL, 1.5 Sacks
                • DE Derek Porozins (SR) - 4 solo tackles, 2.5 TFL, 2 sacks.
                • DB Shad Vedaa (SR) - 24 solo tackles.
                • DB Jared Kallenbach (SO) - 20 solo tackles. 2 interceptions. One pass breakup
                • DB Jake Bettcher (SO) - 12 solo tackles, 2.5 TFL, 2 sacks
                • LB Matt Schoh (SR) - 17 solo tackles. 0.5 TFL. One interception

Offense
                • QB Tommy Falk (FR) - 1,607 yards, 13 touchdowns, 7 interceptions
                • WR Grady Bresnahan (SR) - 554 yards, 6 touchdowns.
                • WR Trent Marquart (JU) - 262 yards, 1 touchdown
                • WR Ryan Bieberdorf (SO) - 500 yards, 4 touchdowns.
                • RB Jaydin McNeal (SO) - 38 yards on 22 attempts, one touchdown. Four receptions for four yards
                • RB Luke Imdieke (FR) - 128 yards on 44 attempts. 11 receptions for 114 yards
                • FB Hayden Boll (SO) - 67 yards on 23 attempts, one touchdown. Two receptions for 31 yards
                On defense, I think having the senior leadership has helped to an extent. Holding back Winona State and UMD for as long as they did reflected that. At the same time, I think the team needs to get after the quarterback more, and the youth at defensive back has definitely allowed opposing offenses to get down the field with passing. Moving forward, I think the defensive backfield improving will be really helpful. The running defense already looks good, especially with how the UMD rush attack was held back.

On offense meanwhile, Falk is looking fantastic as a freshman quarterback. I think it's also really helping with two experienced receivers to throw to in Bresnahan and Marquart. Helps for a young QB to have security receivers to get the ball to when they're in trouble. Bieberdorf's work on the field has been praise-worthy, too, and him connecting with Falk will be a good dynamic going forward.

The rushing game, meanwhile, leaves a lot to be desired. McNeal, Imdieke and Boll have combined for 233 yards and just two touchdowns. Fortunately, it's a young group that can improve in the next few years. If they can get better, it can take some pressure off Falk, which will help. It would also help scoring opportunities in the red zone.

Comment

Rainy. Cold. Sloppy. Ugly. Penalty-filled

That's how I'd describe the Dragons game today. But you know what, those games happen, especially in our neck of the woods in northern, cold weather. So, I'm very happy to come out with a win, on the road, in bad weather, even if it's against a team that isn't the best in the NSIC.

Credit has to go to the defense, especially with the Pick 6 making a difference. They really didn't allow any points until the game was practically out of reach. Offense, meanwhile, had some issues, not able to capitalize on drives. That's happened before, such as the match-up with Winona State where after turnovers the Dragons couldn't turn it into points. With that said, they did what they needed to do to get back to .500.

Now, it's rivalry week. All sights are on the Axe game against Bemidji. Huge game for this season.

Comment

I'm getting hyped for the game in Bemidji. An 86-year rivalry, 72 of those with the Battle Axe on the line. Dragons come into the game 3-3, Beavers are 4-2. Big mid-season match-up. It's not going to be an easy game, but I think the Dragons can pull this off.

One fascinating detail about this rivalry is the home team hasn't won since 2013.
                    • 2014, in Bemidji, Dragons win 27-21.
                    • 2015, in Moohread, Beavers win 42-28.
                    • 2016, in Bemidji, Dragons win 42-41.
                    • 2017, in Moorhead, Beaves win 45-14.
                    • 2018, in Bemidji, Dragons win 31-26.
                    • 2019, in Moorhead, Beavers win 28-24.

Comment

I'm getting hyped for the game in Bemidji. An 86-year rivalry, 72 of those with the Battle Axe on the line. Dragons come into the game 3-3, Beavers are 4-2. Big mid-season match-up. It's not going to be an easy game, but I think the Dragons can pull this off.[/LIST]
                      Really excited for this matchup. Dragons can win this one. Bemidji secondary is weak link on defense. Dragons have the weapons at receiver to take advantage. Will have to stop Alt though.

Comment

So, the Dragons' loss was maybe one of the worst in the Laqua era. Moorhead should have won that game with all the chances they had. They either needed one more score or at the end just a defensive stop.

I sound like a broken record, but it's the same story. Offense unable to capitalize and the defense isn't able to hold up in the end.

Moving forward, the Dragons will probably be favored in just two more games, Mary and Cocordia, so they're going to have to steal one against Northern or Wayne to get a winning record. Hopefully they can finish strong still.

Comment

Laqua gets as much as he can out of his players, I last read years ago that MSUM was on the lower end of scholarships, unless that has improved. I'ts a highly variable year, Northern whipped USF and barely squeaked one out over Minot, so you never know.

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
                            Laqua gets as much as he can out of his players, I last read years ago that MSUM was on the lower end of scholarships, unless that has improved. I'ts a highly variable year, Northern whipped USF and barely squeaked one out over Minot, so you never know.
                            I absolutely agree. Laqua has done phenomenal work, especially considering the circumstances. You're correct, MSUM just in the last few years bumped up its number of available scholarships. MSUM also has to battle with Concordia for scraps of media attention with the Bison basically dominating every ounce of coverage. Seriously, if you look at the Forum after a Bison game, there will be three NDSU stories, usually on the front of the sports section, while Concordia and the Dragons are usually forced to small briefs.

What he's done here is immensely impressive and 9 out of 10 times I want to give him praise. It's just this last game was majorly disappointing. Having a 19-0 lead and not being able to close the deal is tough to watch.

I'm still hopeful for this season. I know a lot of people are picking Mary now in the next game but I think the Dragons still have winnable games ahead, including that one. And if they win some more games I'll be happy.

During my time at MSUM, from 2008-2012, the Dragons finished 2-9. The phrases "winnning season" and "post season" didn't exist, and that went for the basketball program, too. Now the Dragons basketball team regularly makes the NCAA Tourney and the football team is competitive, enough to make a bowl game a few years ago. I'm really happy with MSUM athletics.

It's just that the last game was hard to watch.

Comment

Off topic from football but MSUM has completed upgrades to its weight room!

$58,790 raised for MSUM weight room renovation, smashing $20,000 goal
                              The weight room renovation fundraiser over the last three weeks has raised an astounding $58,790 from 179 supporters to help "Lift up Dragons" for generations. In the final "MAX OUT" week two donors stepped up to add matching funds resulting in $11,715 in donations with an additional $15,000 in matching funds, totaling $26,715 in just one week.

Here's the reveal

Comment

Sweet weight room. These are some of the reasons we are seeing more parity in the NSIC. Sanford has been generous to many schools.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X