Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Really great win this weekend. I've been really pleased with the resiliancy and attitude of the team this year. There have been times where mistakes have happened or where they've been down, and they keep fighting hard and not letting it get to them.

This most recent week, they made a costly mistake with the fumble on the kick-off that let Winona State have an easy field to score. From there, the defense clamped down and the offense in the end was able to run out the clock. This is a group that doesn't collapse or fall apart, it picks up, stays focused and executes.

Really good coaching by Laqua, and it's awesome that the team has clinched another winning season for the first time since 2019. I think the year off during the pandemic was a speedbump for the program but the Dragons have regained their footing. Next week will be a huge game. It's going to be a monumental task but how awesome would an upset be.

On another note, absolutely shameful coverage of the game in today's Fargo-Moorhead Forum. The Dragons have a big win at home over a tough opponent to get their first winning season in a couple years. The result? A tiny brief below the fold off to the side on page 2. It didn't even get its own column, it shared space with a brief about the Concordia Cobbers, who also had a good win Saturday.

The Bison, meanwhile? Three stories/columns about the game with basically three pages of coverage. The Dragons game was at home and they couldn't even get a photographer there, they didn't have a picture run in the online MSUM story either. Another page in the Forum? Dedicated to three different stories on the Gophers' win over Michigan State. I'm a Gophers fan, but for the Forum, some of that space could have been used for MSUM and Concordia.

I get NDSU is the big show in town, I really do, but there was definitely room to give the Dragons more coverage with the game in town. I'm not entirely surprised, when the Dragons won over No. 2 Northern State a few years ago in basketball it was only given a brief, too. However, as an alumni and fan, the lack of coverage is upsetting and should be called out.

Comment

• Originally posted by IceBoxDragon View Post
      Really great win this weekend. I've been really pleased with the resiliancy and attitude of the team this year. There have been times where mistakes have happened or where they've been down, and they keep fighting hard and not letting it get to them.

This most recent week, they made a costly mistake with the fumble on the kick-off that let Winona State have an easy field to score. From there, the defense clamped down and the offense in the end was able to run out the clock. This is a group that doesn't collapse or fall apart, it picks up, stays focused and executes.

Really good coaching by Laqua, and it's awesome that the team has clinched another winning season for the first time since 2019. I think the year off during the pandemic was a speedbump for the program but the Dragons have regained their footing. Next week will be a huge game. It's going to be a monumental task but how awesome would an upset be.

On another note, absolutely shameful coverage of the game in today's Fargo-Moorhead Forum. The Dragons have a big win at home over a tough opponent to get their first winning season in a couple years. The result? A tiny brief below the fold off to the side on page 2. It didn't even get its own column, it shared space with a brief about the Concordia Cobbers, who also had a good win Saturday.

The Bison, meanwhile? Three stories/columns about the game with basically three pages of coverage. The Dragons game was at home and they couldn't even get a photographer there, they didn't have a picture run in the online MSUM story either. Another page in the Forum? Dedicated to three different stories on the Gophers' win over Michigan State. I'm a Gophers fan, but for the Forum, some of that space could have been used for MSUM and Concordia.

I get NDSU is the big show in town, I really do, but there was definitely room to give the Dragons more coverage with the game in town. I'm not entirely surprised, when the Dragons won over No. 2 Northern State a few years ago in basketball it was only given a brief, too. However, as an alumni and fan, the lack of coverage is upsetting and should be called out.
      The Sioux Falls Argus Leader gives Augustana and U OF Sioux Falls zero coverage as if the 2 schools don't exist.

Comment

• Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post

The Sioux Falls Argus Leader gives Augustana and U OF Sioux Falls zero coverage as if the 2 schools don't exist.
        What in the world do they cover, if not those two schools in town? USD? SDSU? Weird

Comment

• Originally posted by CollegeFBGuy View Post

What in the world do they cover, if not those two schools in town? USD? SDSU? Weird
          Actually they're not even a local paper anymore. They're now part of USA Today and based out of Des Moines. The old building has been sitting empty on the corner of 10th and Minnesota with a "for lease" sign on it for a couple of years now. Very little local news is published compared to what they used to cover.

Comment

• Originally posted by CollegeFBGuy View Post

They cover high schools sports and USD, SDSU literally nothing else in their sports page.

Comment

• I've seen the Sioux Falls' coverage in the Leader, too. Really sucks for the Cougars and Vikings.

Comment

• Unfortunately, for our Dragons, a great win this past Saturday happened on what is probably the busiest day of the local sports calendar for the F-M media. All the college games plus 16 ND HS State quarterfinal FB games and MN Section FB Semis which the Forum didn't even cover since they sent two reporters to the ND HS state cross country races.

I don't like it either when we only get a tiny mention, but at least the Forum does a feature story once in a while. The lack of effort that they should get called out for though is to not at least grab a photo or two from MSUM like they usually do and add that to the online and print versions. At least it spices it up a bit.

On a somewhat related side note, I've been really enjoying Coach Laqua's weekly Tuesday appearance on Hot Mic with Dom Izzo. Coach really brings out his personality with those segments. Strand was on a recent Friday show as well talking about his big passing #'s.
                https://www.inforum.com/sports/watch...d-this-weekend
                https://www.inforum.com/sports/meet-...o-the-playoffs

Comment

• My hope for this season was getting a winning record and I'm so happy that the team surpassed that goal by being well above .500. This is just the third time the Dragons have earned a season with 7 or more wins since 1999, and all three have been under Laqua.

The four losses are a little frustrating. On the one hand it's great to only have losses to the top teams in the conference and play them close, at the same time, a few plays and an upset or two could have been on the table. Not really complaining, I'm proud of the way the team played, but just makes a person ask 'what if.'

Overall, it was a very good season and sets up 2024 fairly nicely in terms of talent. Next year:
                  • QB Jack Strand, 3,914 yards, 36 TDs, 10 Int, 1 rush TD, Junior in 2024
                  • WR Gage Florence, 996 yards, 9 TDs, RS Junior in 2024
                  • WR Brady Perryman, 644 yards, 8 TDs, Junior in 2024
                  • WR Carter Birrenkott, 593 yards, 6 TDs, RS Junior in 2024
                  • WR Madden Thorson, 676 yards, 4 TDs, RS Sophomore in 2024
                  • DL Denver Sheets, 11 solo tackles, 6.5 TFL, 2.5 sacks, Senior in 2024
                  • LB Jack Bungarden, 45 solo tackles, 9.5 TFL, 1 sack, 1 FF, 3FR, Senior in 2024
                  • LB Mitchell Jezierski, 13 solo tackles, 2 TFL, 3 PD. Junior in 2024
                  • LB Josiah Behm, 53 solo tackles, 7.5 TFL, 3.5 sacks, 1 Int, 1 Def TD, 1 FF, Senior in 2024
                  • DB Tate Gustafson, 41 solo tackles, 5.5 TFL, 2 sacks, 2 Ints, 3 PD, Junior in 2024
                  • DB Adam Kallenbach, 30 solo tackles, 2.5 TFL, 3 Int, 9 PD, 1 FF, Junior in 2024
                  Big picture, with this season, after 12 years, Laqua is now 59-74. In the 12 seasons before he was hired, MSUM went 39-90.. His win total has surpassed Ralph Micheli's which was 57, with 67 losses and 2 ties. Laqua now has five winning seasons. If we go back 25 years, there were just two other winning seasons before Laqua was hired. The program has had 10 consecutive seasons with at least four wins. From 2000-2010, there were four seasons with at least four wins.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X