Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pitman11k View Post

At least we have a good hockey team at Minot State
    Any recent talks of them moving up to NCAA D1 hockey??

Comment

Originally posted by Twincitiesmav View Post

Not in the last couple years. Now that they are under Minot State Athletics, maybe it will gain some steam again. They were talking needing an endowment of about 50 million to go NCAA d1

Comment

Originally posted by Pitman11k View Post

Not in the last couple years. Now that they are under Minot State Athletics, maybe it will gain some steam again. They were talking needing an endowment of about 50 million to go NCAA d1
        Thanks for the update!

Comment

Originally posted by Twincitiesmav View Post

All sports would have to move to D1, unless they were D1 before 2011, like UMD, MSU, Bemidji, Ferris, etc. Minot is a club team now, how man they be under athletics?

Comment

Originally posted by Umdfan35 View Post

All sports would have to move to D1, unless they were D1 before 2011, like UMD, MSU, Bemidji, Ferris, etc. Minot is a club team now, how man they be under athletics?

Comment

That is a fact.

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post

That is a fact.
                I wish nothing but the best of luck for Augustana's hockey as aspirations. Sustaining a D1 hockey program these days is really hard for the majority of schools in D1.

Comment

After I watch the Delta State University vs. Jackson State stream, I'll be heading to the Minot vs. MSU-Mankato game. I went to the Minot vs. Sioux Falls game and Minot looked very bad. I don't see it getting any better against Mankato. I'm excited to see what Mankato has to offer, though.
                  RESPECT THE STATESMEN, FEAR THE OKRA!
                  Delta State University, GSC

Comment

I could also be wrong, but I thought that changed a few years ago. They grandfathered in everyone, but weren't allowing new teams - or so I was told, anyway. Not sure.

I hope I'm wrong. Hockey should be exempt since it's not a sport every school has a realistic chance of sustaining.

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

I could also be wrong, but I thought that changed a few years ago. They grandfathered in everyone, but weren't allowing new teams - or so I was told, anyway. Not sure.

I hope I'm wrong. Hockey should be exempt since it's not a sport every school has a realistic chance of sustaining.
                      No, hockey is an exception. Since the NCAA does not sponsor a D-II hockey championship, a school at the D-II level can play up for the D-I Championship. They cannot play down for the D-III championship. All they have to do is "declare" that they are playing for the D-I Championship and then make sure their schedule meets the requirements to qualify for the D-I championship. But from a competitive standpoint, it makes sense to just jump your hockey program to full fledged D-I so that you have the option to offer the full 18 scholarships. I believe D-II hockey is capped at around 12 (I could be wrong).

There are a lot more ins and out to all of this, but this is a basic "Cliff's Notes" version.

There is a small group of schools that play "D-II" hockey out east, but do not declare for the D-I tournament. Since the NCAA does not sponsor a championship, they basically just play out their season and call it good.
                      Millsy

Comment

Originally posted by Millsy View Post
                        There is a small group of schools that play "D-II" hockey out east, but do not declare for the D-I tournament. Since the NCAA does not sponsor a championship, they basically just play out their season and call it good.
                        Just seven men's schools in D2 hockey. There are no D2 women's teams anymore- they moved up together to D1.

List of NCAA Division II ice hockey programs - Wikipedia

Comment

I'm seeing the Dragons live this Saturday! I don't live in the FM area so haven't been able to attend a home game in a while, this will be my first time seeing Nemzek since the renovation. I'm hyped to watch receivers catch touchdowns in those red endzones!

Comment

Originally posted by IceBoxDragon View Post
                            I'm seeing the Dragons live this Saturday! I don't live in the FM area so haven't been able to attend a home game in a while, this will be my first time seeing Nemzek since the renovation. I'm hyped to watch receivers catch touchdowns in those red endzones!
                            Enjoy the game. Nothing like college football on a sunny afternoon.

Comment

The story is behind a paywall for me so maybe someone can post the actual story but Augustana University announces groundbreaking for hockey arena.

Comment

Found one.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X