3. Central Washington (5-1, 5-1)
    4. Midwestern State (4-1, 5-1)
    5. Angelo State (5-2, 6-2)
    6. Bemidji State (6-2, 6-2)
    7. Wayne State (6-2, 6-2)
    8. Colorado Mesa (5-1, 6-1)
    9. Western Colorado (7-1, 7-1)
    10. Minnesota-Duluth (6-2, 6-2)

Four NSIC teams in the top ten, with seven playoff spots up for grabs. Better than I thought it would be.

Comment

Inkblot's predictions were outstanding. His placement of UMD was about the only miss.

Comment

I can't say that I know much about the other conferences in the region, but from what I do know I am surprised to see Central Washington at #3 in the region. But they did beat Midwestern St. so I suppose it is warranted. These rankings do tell me that if Northern can win out (unlikely given their recent play) they should be a playoff team. The loss to Mary was a killer, but if the Wolves can somehow beat Moorhead, Bemidji, and Duluth they would be in.

Comment

Comment

If any of you wanted to nerd-out, click on the bottom of the page for the link to SR4 here..
            https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/footba...ional-rankings

It shows each teams current strength of schedule. The Performance Indicators on the right of the worksheet is a new thing for football, which rewards via a point value big wins for a squad. The higher the value, the better you are. It's merely an addtl criteria tho..as the D2 winning percentage plus the SOS will land you at a number..and that value is a fast way to arrive at where teams land in the overall 1-10, etc. If that total number is close to another team, the addtl criteria is used to help break a tie etc. (this is my Witt-Cliff-Notes version of calculation)

In this case Augie is being rewarded for playing more games and having beaten ranked teams....as they should be. In a year where neither the RMAC or LSC looks especially strong, Augie might be the frontrunner.

Comment

Does performance indicator reward running up the score on lesser teams? Thankfully no team in the NSIC practices that.

The NCAA is doing the best it can, but since silo scheduling is common in D2 it can be hard to compare from one conference to another.

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
                Does performance indicator reward running up the score on lesser teams? Thankfully no team in the NSIC practices that.

The NCAA is doing the best it can, but since silo scheduling is common in D2 it can be hard to compare from one conference to another.
                No part of the selection criteria takes margin of victory into account at all.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                Working...
                X