Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NSIC Staff Changes

Minot DC is let go. This makes 3 of the 4 paid assistant coaching positions that have left the staff over the last 11 months; only the OC remains. Two assistants left for other coaching opportunities and this one being let go. With all that turnover, in the paid staff and the lack of noticeable improvement in the on field results,THE SEAT must be getting a little warmer in Minot?

I mentioned in another thread; that it would be interesting to see who is selected for the openings at Southwest & Winona but that we should keep an eye out on any staff changes/movement that would take place in the bottom tier of the conference as this might suggest some dissatisfaction with the performance and results of this past season---specifically, I was thinking Concordia, Minot, and Southwest. I think Upper Iowa has a new staff and still has the first season pass.

All I know about SMSU is the job is open and they are collecting applications. I believe there are many applications meaning 50 +. Lots of interest. I guess we will see who is all in the running

Comment

Originally posted by FB Player Coach & Fan View Post
      Minot DC is let go. This makes 3 of the 4 paid assistant coaching positions that have left the staff over the last 11 months; only the OC remains. Two assistants left for other coaching opportunities and this one being let go. With all that turnover, in the paid staff and the lack of noticeable improvement in the on field results,THE SEAT must be getting a little warmer in Minot?

I mentioned in another thread; that it would be interesting to see who is selected for the openings at Southwest & Winona but that we should keep an eye out on any staff changes/movement that would take place in the bottom tier of the conference as this might suggest some dissatisfaction with the performance and results of this past season---specifically, I was thinking Concordia, Minot, and Southwest. I think Upper Iowa has a new staff and still has the first season pass.
      Where did you see Scheper was let go? I haven't seen anything out of Minot on the DC, and he still has all the Minot links on his social media.

Comment

Minot State coaches contracts run through the end of December; that is why there was much fuss when former OL coach left for Bemidji last December/January--revolving around contracts being signed and dated. I do not know if Schep will be finishing out his contractual obligation through the end of the month. I did not see it. I was told by someone in the program. Supposed HC could always change his mind?

Comment

Minot State coaches contracts run through the end of December; that is why there was much fuss when former OL coach left for Bemidji last December/January--revolving around contracts being signed and dated. I do not know if Schep will be finishing out his contractual obligation through the end of the month. I did not see it. I was told by someone in the program. Supposed HC could always change his mind?
          You were spot on, the team was notified yesterday that Scheper was being replaced.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Imagine if you're in a family making $40k anywhere but Mississippi (where I'm from)! If $40k keeps you somewhere long enough, do you have the right employee? By the way, I looked up the salary for one of the assistants - was half of that. https://openpayrolls.com/ these salaries must include benefits or not.

I can't believe the salaries of St Cloud St - I'm missing something? St Cloud that expensive or the coaches on an pay band?

In perspective, no income tax but one of the best d2 programs in the country has constant turnover because of the salaries or a better job, some stay because the wife does alright and their kids are in school. I'm not sure how salaries are determine but the UWF coaches are severely underpaid compared to NSIC, same with VSU. Some of the best line coaches are in the 50s. St Cloud is only 7% cheaper than Valdosta, these GSC coaches need to move up to the frozen tundra.
                Last edited by debergfan; 12-04-2021, 07:47 AM.

Comment

[QUOTE=debergfan;n636449]

I can't believe the salaries of St Cloud St - I'm missing something? St Cloud that expensive or the coaches on an pay band?

Since ST. Cloud State dropped their football program a couple years ago (after the 2019 season) maybe some of your information is outdated and/or wrong?

If you were talking about the Coaching GA positions-then yes, there would be and is constant turnover. But the paid positions do not turnover as much as you suggest. And no, mid $40K is not going to put you in the Jeff & Elon list; but in the NSIC you rarely see 3/4 of your paid staff turnover in an 11 month period. And I have been watching & following the NSIC football conference for decades now.

Comment

Originally posted by WhyNotMinot View Post

You were spot on, the team was notified yesterday that Scheper was being replaced.
                    I could hazard a guess on this open DC position or at least where he will be coming from. Always sad to see a coach let go, especially after only one season, 2 if you count the non Covid season

Comment

latest word from my sources....listed down below....most of these names have been thrown out here already on other threads..but a few new ones as well..

Winona..(interviewing this week)..heard up to 10/15 candidates
                      -The assistants on staff currently
                      -Zac Barton (former DC, now at Kent State) - seems to be a favorite
                      -Jerry Partridge (former Missouri Western HC)
                      -possibly some SDSU assistants
                      -Clint Brown (former SDSU and Abilene DC)
                      -Scott Underwood (former St. Cloud HC)
                      ....and most of those already discussed on our forum.

SMSU..(interviewing in coming weeks)
                      -Shay McClure..current interim and DC..(former HC at Dixie)
                      -possibly former SMSU coaches like Brian Frana, Shane Ladage
                      -James Schrenk (Augie OC)
                      ...and most of those already discussed on our forum.

I'm sure there are more names....as not that many D2 jobs have popped open just yet, so there should be a lot of interest.

Keep in mind, there's also the possibility that a few of the names could use an offer for the job as leverage at their existing place, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post
                        SMSU..(interviewing in coming weeks)
                        -Shay McClure..current interim and DC..(former HC at Dixie)
                        -possibly former SMSU coaches like Brian Frana, Shane Ladage
                        -James Schrenk (Augie OC)
                        ...and most of those already discussed on our forum.

I'm sure there are more names....as not that many D2 jobs have popped open just yet, so there should be a lot of interest.

Keep in mind, there's also the possibility that a few of the names could use an offer for the job as leverage at their existing place, etc.
                        Of the outside candidates, I think I'd still like Underwood the most. Schrenk seems promising and I like that he's younger with experience on both sides of the ball, but there's always a bit of uncertainty with first time head coaches. Partridge would be underwhelming.

I think I'm leaning lately though to staying with McClure. I like the work he's done with the defense, and I like that he has familiarity with our program while also coming in with head coaching experience. From the numbers I've seen, his salary at Dixie was roughly similar to what Sauter had been making here, so not sure how that translates.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

Of the outside candidates, I think I'd still like Underwood the most. Schrenk seems promising and I like that he's younger with experience on both sides of the ball, but there's always a bit of uncertainty with first time head coaches. Partridge would be underwhelming.

I think I'm leaning lately though to staying with McClure. I like the work he's done with the defense, and I like that he has familiarity with our program while also coming in with head coaching experience. From the numbers I've seen, his salary at Dixie was roughly similar to what Sauter had been making here, so not sure how that translates.

Comment

Fair counter. And it's not even necessarily important for the school itself, but more so my personal preferences.

He has a good resume. But he's older, so it wouldn't be a super long term hire. Without local or even conference ties, I just question the fit. I did notice he was a finalist at Minot when Aldrich was hired.
                            Last edited by Stanger86; 12-07-2021, 02:32 PM.

Comment

AU James Schrenk is a high energy guy who has reeled in some great recruits over the years. He has a young family and hangs his hat on his Christian faith much like his head coach does. Schrenk's offenses speak for themselves, although he has the luxury of very good players. I've thought Augustana would lose him through a promotion eventually.

Scott Underwood did very well at SCSU with limited resources and under the constant threat of losing the football program. Augustana tried to hire him away from SCSU after letting Mike Aldrich go an offer, he did not accept. Underwood recruited the twin cities very well.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X