Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
    Mel Tjeerdsma of NWMSU fame was a small-town kid from Springfield SD who was a high school coach before getting a job at NAIA Austin college in TX where he went 59-39. His 1st year in Maryville he went 0-11, over time he built a powerhouse in a farming town with a population under 12.000 and still is. Maryville is about the same distant from KC as Marshall is to the TC. and frankly Marshall a more prosperous community than Maryville. NW was not scary program before Mel as was their BB team until recently. If the Mustangs can find a Tjeerdsma kind of coach funding will get better and more attendance. There is absolutely nothing wrong with SMSU location.
    I'd view Mel and NW as more of an exception than realistic expectation for most. But everything you said is correct about him and how he developed NWMSU..yup.

When you look at the fact NW is among the most supported programs in D2 (feels like a good FCS program when you are around them)....that's really where SW will need to step up. Right now the expectation of bringing in a difference making coach with half the resources (or a bit more) compared to the top squads in the South....that's a very big ask for the coach. I think the expectation needs to be gradual steps....almost like what's been seen at Moorhead or Concordia (until this collapse of a season for the Bears).

Comment

Unless we get scholarships up to the max we will always be in a tough spot. Hopefully the administration is serious about that

Comment

I think we will get a great set of finalists. A combination od D2 assistants and NAIAA coaches looking to move up. There certainly is some selling points to being D2 coach in the NSIC as compared to a NAIA coach. Almost all think of that as a step up.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMustang View Post
          I think we will get a great set of finalists. A combination od D2 assistants and NAIAA coaches looking to move up. There certainly is some selling points to being D2 coach in the NSIC as compared to a NAIA coach. Almost all think of that as a step up.
          One man's opinion, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Clean Liver View Post

I would say the majority. Any coach looking to climb the ladder is most likely in a better position to do so succeeding in D2 opposed to NAIA.

Comment

Originally posted by D2FootballFan1992 View Post

I would say the majority. Any coach looking to climb the ladder is most likely in a better position to do so succeeding in D2 opposed to NAIA.
              Two men's opinions. I don't think there's much difference in the strength of D-II and NAIA teams. Jmo.

Comment

Originally posted by D2FootballFan1992 View Post

FWIW, Kalen DeBoer went from NAIA straight to D1.

I recognize that one data point does not make a trend.

Comment

Two men's opinions. I don't think there's much difference in the strength of D-II and NAIA teams. Jmo.
                  Maybe in just depends on what part of the country you are in. Living in the North Dakota, Minnesota, South Dakota area I can tell you that there are very few players that would choose a local NAIA program in our area over an NSIC school if given the option. However I do agree that the top NAIA schools would be very competitive in D2.

I found this graphic from NFLDraftDiamonds.com that was made at the beginning of the 2020 NFL season.

Comment

I think my point is MOST coaches would consider a job in the NSIC better than the GPAC. Not all, probably, but most. There is reason we consistently see coaches moving from the NAIA to D2.

Not at all a criticism of NAIA or the GPAC at all either. It is also a good level of sports and competition. Most people undervalue NAIA athletics, just like most completely undervalue the level of D2 athletics, particularly those who live in NSIC towns and don't ever go out and sample the product.

Comment

Overall D2 is preferred vs NAIA....and the level of play is better overall also. Sure the top few in the NAIA would do fine/well in the D2 ranks also, but after that it drops off as evidenced by HTH results between the divisions this year. As for coaching, yes also. Why else would Steve Ryan of MSide be going after Missouri Southern, a bad team in the MIAA. Just sayin. Kalen DeBoer and also the Lambuth tree (Hugh Freeze) is the exception due to good/exceptional success in the NAIA.

Word I was getting earlier today was they'd narrowed down Winona to 3 candidates....and then one removed himself....so it's 2 candidates. They were not the existing WSU staff. I will let them make the announcement and names instead of trying to beat them to the punch. Yes, they are very much names we've discussed here.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post
                        Overall D2 is preferred vs NAIA....and the level of play is better overall also. Sure the top few in the NAIA would do fine/well in the D2 ranks also, but after that it drops off as evidenced by HTH results between the divisions this year. As for coaching, yes also. Why else would Steve Ryan of MSide be going after Missouri Southern, a bad team in the MIAA. Just sayin. Kalen DeBoer and also the Lambuth tree (Hugh Freeze) is the exception due to good/exceptional success in the NAIA.

Word I was getting earlier today was they'd narrowed down Winona to 3 candidates....and then one removed himself....so it's 2 candidates. They were not the existing WSU staff. I will let them make the announcement and names instead of trying to beat them to the punch. Yes, they are very much names we've discussed here.
                        Finalist 1: Zac Barton

https://winonastatewarriors.com/news...formation.aspx

Comment

Finalist number 2 identified: Pete Sterbick

Comment

Hadn't thought about it, but SMSU also in midst of a volleyball search right now. Sounds like VB is a little farther ahead in the search than football because of a smaller candidate pool, according to Saugstad on Saturday Morning Mustang.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
                              Hadn't thought about it, but SMSU also in midst of a volleyball search right now. Sounds like VB is a little farther ahead in the search than football because of a smaller candidate pool, according to Saugstad on Saturday Morning Mustang.
                              Whoever they get, it will be tough replacing an absolute legend.

Comment

Originally posted by wsuguy87 View Post

Finalist number 2 identified: Pete Sterbick
                                Interesting....the timing is right tho..with Mines just finishing up over the weekend

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X