Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vikingfaithful
    replied
    A win is a win against a young winless UIU team. Final score 31-14. Passing game was awful, 74 yards and 3 interceptions although I was happy 5th year senior Conner Neil got to play QB for a half. Running game was awesome, 302 yards at 7.4 yards a carry. WR Isaiah Huber was pressed into action at RB and responded to with 146 yds, while big David Addo added 101.

Defense flexed their muscles holding the Peacocks to 10 yards rushing, 190 passing. Grayson Diepenbrock had 2 sacks to set the all-time career sack record.

2 freshmen have had their redshirts lifted. Earlier DB TJ Murray from Baltimore MD. and Boys Town Omaha. Saturday I spotted a tall lengthy WR line up and I immediately thought Sean Engel got another year eligibility. It was Will Boyles of Lubbock TX a true frosh lining up. Coaches OJ and Schrenk have always liked 6' 5" receivers. Boyles must be impressive in practice to have his RS pulled mid-season. Next homecoming week things get a lot tougher playing 5-1 Wayne State.

Leave a comment:

• BIGvikingFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post

I don’t know the circumstances of the game, but NO team plays the same 11 guys on D the whole game. I get you’re talking situational, but which group was on the field the drive prior? And the one before that? Which group gave up the 24 points up to that point? Maybe it’s all the backups. Likely not.
    You are correct. Wouldn't have brought it up if it was just obvious normal substitution, especially with the big guys. The revolving door has been happening all season and nearly lost us the BSU game. When the announcers pointed out the pattern this game, I rewound and compared to the 2-deep for 5 plays so see what was really going on. Were the nine starters out because of injuries? Nope, they were in the next series and held 3 and out. Don't have time to do that for the whole game, but likely your hunch is correct and brilliant.

Leave a comment:

• Otis Day
    replied
    Originally posted by Augieholic View Post
    I thought the overall game environment on Saturday was probably only rivaled by the first football game between these two schools. Earlier game date + more lax rules on alcohol + amazing weather + two undefeated teams was a tremendous recipe.

Augie got owned on both lines of scrimmage for most of the game. Riersdorfer is menace. Bauman didn't play well until the fourth quarter as he missed numerous passes and receivers the first three quarters. Any turnover stinks but that muffed punt to start the 3rd was awful after the defense gave them a chance to offset the back to back possessions for the USF offense.
    Good summary. Props to JJs Beer Garden. Was a nice touch, forgot y'all had added that.

Leave a comment:

• Purple Mav Man
    replied
    Originally posted by BIGvikingFan View Post

That's very cool. Not saying there aren't good backups, but when your down 24-10 late in the game you put your best 11 out there, not 2 starters and 9 backups. Even the big pass play right before the break away the streaming announcers commented USF was taking advantage of the backups. Only PurpleMavMan thinks you have to have a coaching resume to think that's bad strategy.
    I don’t know the circumstances of the game, but NO team plays the same 11 guys on D the whole game. I get you’re talking situational, but which group was on the field the drive prior? And the one before that? Which group gave up the 24 points up to that point? Maybe it’s all the backups. Likely not.

Leave a comment:

• USFIllini
    replied
    USF rotates heavy on the D Line and defense in general. Most games they rotate 5-6 D Ends and 4-5 D Tackles with not much drop off in production. I know not everyone has that kind of depth at D Line, USF is fortunate in that department this year

Leave a comment:

• BIGvikingFan
    replied
    Originally posted by tman28 View Post

I mean you say that. But Look at the depth USF has on their defense especially on the line. The leading Sack getter in the NSIC is a backup.
    That's very cool. Not saying there aren't good backups, but when your down 24-10 late in the game you put your best 11 out there, not 2 starters and 9 backups. Even the big pass play right before the break away the streaming announcers commented USF was taking advantage of the backups. Only PurpleMavMan thinks you have to have a coaching resume to think that's bad strategy.

Leave a comment:

• Purple Mav Man
    replied

Reirsdorfer's breakaway (58 of his 136 yards) came later in the game when the defensive coordinator had 2 starters on the field, none on the d-line. Next series he put all the starters back in and they held 3 and out. Then he started the crazy rotation again. He's been doing it all season but this game was the worst. Maybe he gave up on this year's team and is getting back-ups reps for next year. We'll be lucky to have a winning record this season if he keeps it up.
    Send OJ your resume.

Leave a comment:

• tman28
    replied

Reirsdorfer's breakaway (58 of his 136 yards) came later in the game when the defensive coordinator had 2 starters on the field, none on the d-line. Next series he put all the starters back in and they held 3 and out. Then he started the crazy rotation again. He's been doing it all season but this game was the worst. Maybe he gave up on this year's team and is getting back-ups reps for next year. We'll be lucky to have a winning record this season if he keeps it up.
    I mean you say that. But Look at the depth USF has on their defense especially on the line. The leading Sack getter in the NSIC is a backup.

Leave a comment:

• BIGvikingFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Augieholic View Post
    I thought the overall game environment on Saturday was probably only rivaled by the first football game between these two schools. Earlier game date + more lax rules on alcohol + amazing weather + two undefeated teams was a tremendous recipe.

Augie got owned on both lines of scrimmage for most of the game. Riersdorfer is menace. Bauman didn't play well until the fourth quarter as he missed numerous passes and receivers the first three quarters. Any turnover stinks but that muffed punt to start the 3rd was awful after the defense gave them a chance to offset the back to back possessions for the USF offense.

Leave a comment:

• Augieholic
    replied

Leave a comment:

• USFIllini
    replied
    Originally posted by Tundra_Man View Post

It's gotten a little expensive over the last couple years, but Minerva's has the best salad bar in the state. I love steaks as much as the next guy, but I often find myself just getting the salad bar.
    That is an impressive salad bar to say the least

Leave a comment:

• Tundra_Man
    replied
    Originally posted by USFIllini View Post

Had myself and 1o other family members come up for the game, we took my son and his girlfriend to Minervas for a steak dinner. Didn't disappoint. Its downtown and they had a prime rib special going which pleased my father very much. Try it out next time
    It's gotten a little expensive over the last couple years, but Minerva's has the best salad bar in the state. I love steaks as much as the next guy, but I often find myself just getting the salad bar.

Leave a comment:

• USFIllini
    replied
    Originally posted by WPHB View Post
    What an amazing weekend! The game didn't turn out for the good guys like I had hoped, but was pleased with their effort in the 4th quarter. Will be hard to top that trip. My first K-O game day experience was nothing short of amazing. After driving all evening and night, I got to the stadium around 9 am and was immediately beset with other Augie fans and parents who took me in with open arms and treated me like I was part of the group. Met some amazing parents, and some amazing new friends, and had some amazing food (and drink) at tailgate. The crowd was great and other than some rowdies in purple at the end of the game, even the USF fans were amazingly nice and friendly.

One thing I struck out on during the trip was the post-game meal. But I got to spend that time with my kid, so it was well worth it.

Almost 2000 miles in 48 hours, but could not have asked for a better experience. So happy that my kid chose Augie.
    Had myself and 10 other family members come up for the game, we took my son and his girlfriend to Minervas for a steak dinner. Didn't disappoint. Its downtown and they had a prime rib special going which pleased my father very much. Try it out next time
    Last edited by USFIllini; 10-03-2022, 12:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

• SW_Mustang
    replied
    Originally posted by WPHB View Post
    What an amazing weekend! The game didn't turn out for the good guys like I had hoped, but was pleased with their effort in the 4th quarter. Will be hard to top that trip. My first K-O game day experience was nothing short of amazing. After driving all evening and night, I got to the stadium around 9 am and was immediately beset with other Augie fans and parents who took me in with open arms and treated me like I was part of the group. Met some amazing parents, and some amazing new friends, and had some amazing food (and drink) at tailgate. The crowd was great and other than some rowdies in purple at the end of the game, even the USF fans were amazingly nice and friendly.

One thing I struck out on during the trip was the post-game meal. But I got to spend that time with my kid, so it was well worth it.

Almost 2000 miles in 48 hours, but could not have asked for a better experience. So happy that my kid chose Augie.
    Friendliness is the standard in the NSIC - haven't been to an away stadium that treated me poorly overall.

We used to have an NSIC Food Guide - we should bring that back and pin it. Sioux Falls has some amazing options. Feel free to post about it next time you make the trip - you won't have a shortage of suggestions. Home or away.

Leave a comment:

• WPHB
    replied
    Okay, so I am embarrassed to type out the name (and would hate to be derogatory of a local establishment) but if you really want to know, I will private message you. I loved SF food the last time I was there during move-in, and even our limited exposure during our official visit in January. This time, I let the boy decide. He wanted a steak and I told him to pick the place-but with no chain restaurants. It was about 10 minutes outside of Sioux Falls, and I think that Cow may have already been on its last legs before ending up on the plate. Again, I got to spend well over an hour by myself with the kid, so it could have been cowpies (and kinda tasted that way) and it wouldn't have been the end of the world. The funniest thing is that we were both very polite to the waiter and when we walked outside, he said, "that steak was so bad, I will never complain about the Morrison dining hall food again."

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X