Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UMD Info

Interesting article in the Duluth paper that answers a few questions - https://www.duluthnewstribune.com/sp...-debut-for-umd.
    • It sounds like Wiese is optimistic that Olson will be back this week
    • Walljasper has a hamstring injury - surprised he ran so much his first game back with this
    • Doesnt sound too promising that Carmickle will be ready to play this week
    • I get the sense that Wiese isnt too high on Graetz. Will be interesting to see if Olson takes Graetz's reps this week and they play Walljasper or will the shuffle up all three.

I think has to be a sign of concern for UMD this year. Take a look at the last 12-15 years..they've been strong when they had strong QB play..often times guys who were 3-4 year starters. Right now they are still kinda figuring out who's gonna take the job and run with it. Those QB's have all been able to get good yards in the ground game too. Kinda just seems like a part of their success.

Carmickle..he's flat out needed.

Comment

Without Carmickle they dont seem to have a deep threat and I havent heard if he is going to be back this week or not. Also agree 100% they need to figure out the QB situation. It seems it's not even week to week rather its play by play as to who may be behind center. If they cant have something stable at QB I worry its going to be a 3 to 4+ loss season and they have too much talent for that.

Comment

Well, I guess the pre-game write up in the paper answered a few of my questions:

Injury update: Starting quarterback Garrett Olson was expected to be a full practice participant Thursday after having modified practices earlier in the week due to a lower-body injury. If he can’t go, Graetz would once-again get the start while the Bulldogs continue to work in Walljasper in wildcat formations.
        “We’ll see if Garrett is comfortable throwing in the pocket and moving in the pocket and then kind of go from there,” Wiese said. “I thought Kyle played well last week. He was given the opportunity and has continued to develop as a different threat offensively for us.”
        Senior Armani Carmickle, who broke UMD’s single-season record with 1,315 receiving yards last season, reaggravated a lower-body injury in the second quarter and didn’t play the rest of the game.
        “I don’t think we’ll see Armani this week,” Wiese said. “It’s a long season. He probably could have made it through the game at Mankato but was in a position where he was probably hurting us more than he was helping us. He just wasn’t full speed. So we decided to sit him and give other guys opportunities to stretch the field. That was a big part of our game plan, and taking him out of it certainly hurt us.”

Comment

Carmickle is a stud. Losing a player of that caliber completely changes an offense.

Comment

Got a feeling they figure give Carmickle the week off to better heal..as they have a trip to USF next week....while they should be able to get past UIU with the other weapons they have.

The QB concerns is frankly why I had them just missing the playoffs with 3 losses in my preseason column..I feared exactly what we're seeing..them waiting for someone to assert themselves and become the guy.

I think they like the young guy the best..but the others have tenure on him, etc etc. I think they want the QB to be able to take 10 carries a game and in the big 3rd and 3 kinda moments..which plays into the hands of some players more than others here.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
            Working...
            X