Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
    If UIU were to leave kick Crookston out of league for not being competitive in any sport.
    true

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

Chadron, Mines and Kearney have more in common with schools in the Dakotas and Nebraska or with schools in New Mexico?
      Could be. I just wanted a reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post

Not to non-sensationalize this, but there is one NM school in NM in the RMAC. Not plural. The rest of the conference is all Colorado (outside of South Dakota)
        And New Mexico doesn't apply in Kearney's case. Oklahoma is our far trip now.

Comment

I always thought Michigan Tech (previous NIC member) and Northern Michigan would be good fits for the NSIC. Tedh's closest away game is at Ferris and that is 450 miles, most other are around 550 miles.

Comment

Maybe with the Tommies gone, the Johnnies would consider stepping up? I mean, they are irrelevant without UST - might as well step up a division and try their luck.

It won't happen, but it's interesting to think about.

Comment

Originally posted by Umdfan35 View Post
              I always thought Michigan Tech (previous NIC member) and Northern Michigan would be good fits for the NSIC. Tedh's closest away game is at Ferris and that is 450 miles, most other are around 550 miles.
              Looking just at football here, as I don't know anything about the scheduling for the other sports, this is the distances and travel times to all the current NSIC football schools for Michigan Tech and NMU. I think you would have to redo the divisions completely to make those 2 schools work, go East/West, which would make the travel more equitable between the divisions, but may alienate schools like Wayne State who end up with a much worse travel situation than they have now. Most teams in the North would see their travel situation improve, and most teams in the South would see it get worse.
              Michigan Tech Northern Michigan
              Current Division Miles Hours Miles Hours
              Duluth North 223 4 255 4.75
              CSP North 362 6 383 6.25
              Bemidji North 365 6.5 399 7.25
              Moorhead North 453 8.25 488 8.75
              Northern State North 573 10.5 608 11
              Mary North 656 11 690 11.5
              Minot North 689 11.75 725 12.25
              Winona South 347 6 370 6.3
              Mankato South 443 7 466 7.5
              SW MN State South 515 8.3 537 8.5
              Augustana South 602 9.5 623 10
              Sioux Falls South 601 9.5 622 10
              Wayne State South 682 11 724 11.25
              Upper Iowa South 416 7.3 466 7.4

Click image for larger version

Name:	NSIC2.png
Views:	546
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	717391
              Attached Files

Comment

There's not even a hint of Dickinson State wanting to move up. (I say that a DSU alumnus with an uncle who is a huge athletic booster) We would like to be able to win some NAIA playoff games and get spots in the basketball national tournaments right now, not move up to D2 and struggle worse than when we were in the Frontier Conference. As it is, we are perfectly happy in the NAIA. Jamestown seems to have a bigger vision, and no idea on Dakota St if they do or if people are projecting ideas on them because they are building a new stadium, but the real question should be what is the best for the schools still in the NAIA. I always viewed moving up as something you do when you are so far ahead of the other schools that you are winning national championships regularly in at least one sport, like Sioux Falls was. If you are at best in the top half of the conference and maybe some years making a national tournament appearance in a sport, is that worth moving up for?

Comment

Originally posted by Mandan View Post
                  I always viewed moving up as something you do when you are so far ahead of the other schools that you are winning national championships regularly in at least one sport, like Sioux Falls was. If you are at best in the top half of the conference and maybe some years making a national tournament appearance in a sport, is that worth moving up for?
                  Well said. I think that's why Morningside is mentioned most often, especially considering the former NCC ties. One that surprises me to almost never be mentioned is Northwestern (IA). They're a nice fit within the footprint, have a winning tradition and solid facilities.

Comment

Well said. I think that's why Morningside is mentioned most often, especially considering the former NCC ties. One that surprises me to almost never be mentioned is Northwestern (IA). They're a nice fit within the footprint, have a winning tradition and solid facilities.
                    Back when USF was NAIA, Northwestern was our big rival. We used to have t-shirts that said, "How does a Red Raider football player count to 10? 0-1, 0-2, 0-3, ..."

:D

Comment

Too bad that with Dordt only 12 miles away, and both schools only having 1500 each, that there wasn't just one school. Morningside got some help when Westmar of LeMars closed and some of the students went there.

Comment

I always viewed moving up as something you do when you are so far ahead of the other schools that you are winning national championships regularly in at least one sport, like Sioux Falls was. If you are at best in the top half of the conference and maybe some years making a national tournament appearance in a sport, is that worth moving up for?
                        I agree in principle, but in reality, it has less to do with athletic performance than it does just being a money grab.

Many people think D1 is this magical land where everyone is an NFL prospect and everyone regards the basketball program with the same reverence as Duke, but that's just not the case. Reality will hit Mankato hard if/when they move up and still can't fill the stands to see something called a Western Illinois in basketball.

Comment

There's not even a hint of Dickinson State wanting to move up. (I say that a DSU alumnus with an uncle who is a huge athletic booster) We would like to be able to win some NAIA playoff games and get spots in the basketball national tournaments right now, not move up to D2 and struggle worse than when we were in the Frontier Conference. As it is, we are perfectly happy in the NAIA. Jamestown seems to have a bigger vision, and no idea on Dakota St if they do or if people are projecting ideas on them because they are building a new stadium, but the real question should be what is the best for the schools still in the NAIA. I always viewed moving up as something you do when you are so far ahead of the other schools that you are winning national championships regularly in at least one sport, like Sioux Falls was. If you are at best in the top half of the conference and maybe some years making a national tournament appearance in a sport, is that worth moving up for?
                          We like to think that but more often than not the move up has to do with status, exposure, enrollment and the seeking of more funds. Schools are a business whether we like it or not. However they can maximize their revenue stream, they're in.
                          Last edited by NSU4LIFE; 11-17-2022, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

I agree in principle, but in reality, it has less to do with athletic performance than it does just being a money grab.

Many people think D1 is this magical land where everyone is an NFL prospect and everyone regards the basketball program with the same reverence as Duke, but that's just not the case. Reality will hit Mankato hard if/when they move up and still can't fill the stands to see something called a Western Illinois in basketball.
                            Western Illinois is the Crookston of Summit

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

I didn’t realize Mankato was exploring the move?

Comment

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post

We like to think that but more often than not the move up has to do with status, exposure, enrollment and the seeking of more funds. Schools are a business whether we like it or not. However they can maximize their revenue stream, their in
                                100%. Anyone who thinks universities aren’t businesses are fooling themselves.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X