Preseason Offensive Player of the Year
    QB - Brandon Alt, Bemidji State
    • Harlon Hill Finalist (8th)
    • D2football.com Elite 100 Squad
    • Don Hansen All-America Honorable Mention
    • D2CCA All-Super Region 4 Second Team
    • NSIC Offensive Player of the Year
    • All-NSIC North Division First Team
    • Led the NSIC and ranked third and fourth in passing yards (3,864) and passing touchdowns (38)
    • Eighth in Division II in points responsible for (230) and sixth in passing yards per game (297.2)
    • Led the NSIC and was 12th in DII in passing efficiency (156.6)
    • Threw for over 350 yards in four games and over 250 yards in 11 games

Preseason Defensive Player of the Year
    DL - Ian Marshall, Northern State
    • 2022 NSIC Newcomer and Defensive Player of the Year
    • 2022 NSIC All-Conference first team
    • AFCA, D2CCA, and Don Hansen All-American in 2022
    • Finalist for the 2022 Cliff Harris Award
    • Broke the Northern State single game school record with 4.0 sacks against Minot
    • Racked up 24.5 tackles for a loss and 14.0 sacks, ranking in the top-10 all-time after just one season

Comment

Originally posted by wscsuperfan View Post
      https://northernsun.org/news/2023/8/...ches-poll.aspx

NSIC Preseason Coaches Poll
      1. Bemidji State (4) - 131 pts
      2. Minnesota State-Mankato (5) - 125
      3. Wayne State (2) - 114
      4. Augustana (2) - 112
      5. Minnesota-Duluth - 109
      6. Winona State - 103
      7t. Northern State - 75
      7t. Sioux Falls - 75
      9. Southwest Minnesota State - 50
      10. Minnesota State-Moorhead - 45
      11. Concordia-St. Paul - 35
      12t. Mary - 20
      12t. Minot State - 20
      This one surprises me a bit. When was the last time someone other than Mankato, Duluth or Augustana were picked first?

Comment

https://northernsun.org/news/2023/8/...ches-poll.aspx

NSIC Preseason Coaches Poll
        1. Bemidji State (4) - 131 pts
        2. Minnesota State-Mankato (5) - 125
        3. Wayne State (2) - 114
        4. Augustana (2) - 112
        5. Minnesota-Duluth - 109
        6. Winona State - 103
        7t. Northern State - 75
        7t. Sioux Falls - 75
        9. Southwest Minnesota State - 50
        10. Minnesota State-Moorhead - 45
        11. Concordia-St. Paul - 35
        12t. Mary - 20
        12t. Minot State - 20
        Looks like everyone is pretty certain on who the top 2 teams are and 3-6 is a jump ball. Personally, I agree with 1 & 2 but I'd have Augustana at 6 and slide Wayne, UMD, and Winona ahead of them. I still think we will see 3-4 NSIC teams in the playoffs this year.

Comment

Originally posted by vsukerosene View Post

This one surprises me a bit. When was the last time someone other than Mankato, Duluth or Augustana were picked first?
          A very long time, as best as I can track it was 2007, which was before Mankato, Duluth, and Augustana were in the conference...Bemidji State was the preseason champ then too!

Comment

Preseason Offensive Player of the Year
            QB - Brandon Alt, Bemidji State
            • Harlon Hill Finalist (8th)
            • D2football.com Elite 100 Squad
            • Don Hansen All-America Honorable Mention
            • D2CCA All-Super Region 4 Second Team
            • NSIC Offensive Player of the Year
            • All-NSIC North Division First Team
            • Led the NSIC and ranked third and fourth in passing yards (3,864) and passing touchdowns (38)
            • Eighth in Division II in points responsible for (230) and sixth in passing yards per game (297.2)
            • Led the NSIC and was 12th in DII in passing efficiency (156.6)
            • Threw for over 350 yards in four games and over 250 yards in 11 games

Preseason Defensive Player of the Year
            DL - Ian Marshall, Northern State
            • 2022 NSIC Newcomer and Defensive Player of the Year
            • 2022 NSIC All-Conference first team
            • AFCA, D2CCA, and Don Hansen All-American in 2022
            • Finalist for the 2022 Cliff Harris Award
            • Broke the Northern State single game school record with 4.0 sacks against Minot
            • Racked up 24.5 tackles for a loss and 14.0 sacks, ranking in the top-10 all-time after just one season
            Sixth? That's an outrage (Note, this outrage is purely manufactured). The WSU schedule is a gauntlet. Hoping for 8 wins this year.

Comment

Originally posted by vsukerosene View Post

It was at least prior to 2010

Comment

Originally posted by wsuguy87 View Post

Sixth? That's an outrage (Note, this outrage is purely manufactured). The WSU schedule is a gauntlet. Hoping for 8 wins this year.
                If you look at all teams schedule it's a gauntlet. There is 8 teams capable of beating some highly ranked teams on any given Saturday. #9 SMSU may surprise someone as well. This is the most balanced and strong as the Northern Sun has ever been.

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post

If you look at all teams schedule it's a gauntlet. There is 8 teams capable of beating some highly ranked teams on any given Saturday. #9 SMSU may surprise someone as well. This is the most balanced and strong as the Northern Sun has ever been.
                  Agreed, I think BSU and Kato are a hair better than the rest but 3-9 could beat anyone any Saturday

Comment

I think this could be an exceptionally competitive year in the NSIC. The top seven in the rankings I think will all be able to put up good fights in games. I’m just hoping the Dragons can manage some upsets and finish higher than 10.

Comment

Originally posted by BulldogFan View Post

Looks like everyone is pretty certain on who the top 2 teams are and 3-6 is a jump ball. Personally, I agree with 1 & 2 but I'd have Augustana at 6 and slide Wayne, UMD, and Winona ahead of them. I still think we will see 3-4 NSIC teams in the playoffs this year.
                      Good assessment. I think there is consensus on the top 2 teams.

Then a gap on 3-6.

Then NSU & USF poised to jump or fall depending on some things.

I think Winona is too low. I might have them 3rd. right there with Wayne.

Comment

SMSU at 9 , Moorhead at 10 -- probably a huge game in Marshall, in October between those 2 to finish higher which is a measuring stick for both programs. Whoever can win that one and maybe snag an upset can move up...

If SMSU can beat either USF or Northern too, that would be a good sign and measuring stick

Comment

Originally posted by MrMustang View Post
                          SMSU at 9 , Moorhead at 10 -- probably a huge game in Marshall, in October between those 2 to finish higher which is a measuring stick for both programs. Whoever can win that one and maybe snag an upset can move up...

If SMSU can beat either USF or Northern too, that would be a good sign and measuring stick
                          Seems like SMSU/MSUM matchups are always a good time. Definitely one to watch.

Would love to see us get the MSU or USF monkey off our back this year.

Comment

Originally posted by BulldogFan View Post

One problem with your rearranging is Wayne is already at #3. In my opinion the Dogs should flip with the Warriors and be at #6.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMustang View Post

Good assessment. I think there is consensus on the top 2 teams.

Then a gap on 3-6.

Then NSU & USF poised to jump or fall depending on some things.

I think Winona is too low. I might have them 3rd. right there with Wayne.
                              I saw on your school's athletics website that you have wheelchair basketball programs. Big Kudos to SMSU for that. 👊 I'll be rooting for ya' in all sports!
                              Last edited by crixus; 08-08-2023, 07:55 PM.
                              Western New Mexico Mustangs

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X