Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Jamestown be accepted into the NSIC?

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SW_Mustang
    replied
    Originally posted by UMary1 View Post

Agreed and need to plug UMary Alum and current San Jose State Head Coach Tim Miles who got his start at Mayville State. You bring the right builder in any program regardless of location anything can happen.
    Hey, I like that guy.

Leave a comment:

• vikingfaithful
    replied
    There is some correlation between Augustana's attempt to join the summit league in 2018 and Jamestown's desire to become a member of the NSIC, although there are major differences as well,

AU goal was one conference only as is UJs
    Both are small faith based schools for their ambitions.

AU wasn't going to get the boot from NSIC. UJ got booted from GPAC
    AU was and is a highly successful D2 program. UJ not so much so in NAIA.
    AU had the benefit of a large progressive city. UJ not so much so.
    AU shrugged off the no vote and started the states 1st D1 hockey program
    UJ If they get a no vote their situation goes down hill from the GPAC

If UJ is admitted into NSIC, I will be disappointed, although It won't make a huge difference.
    BIG12 and BIG10 recruited the universities they wanted. Why is NSIC not doing that?

Leave a comment:

• debergfan
    replied
    I'm interested in hearing the recruiting pitch for incoming athletes at Jamestown. Hypothetical conversation...

Recruit: Who are we going to play next year?
    Jamestown: We're exploring every opportunity, we might join the North Star but the North Star might merge with the Frontier. We'll travel to Montana
    Recruit: I thought Jamestown left the North Star?
    Jamestown: Yes, we wanted to play the GPAC schools.
    Recruit: Will we be able to compete for nationals next year?
    Jamestown: Yes, we'll be in the NAIA and the following year, hope to join NCAA/NSIC the following year?
    Recruit: When will we be able to compete for national championship?
    Jamestown: I think 2026-27
    Recruit: Will I even be a student? What happens to Men's Soccer and Volleyball
    Jamestown: We're exploring every opportunity
    Recruit: Has men's soccer or volleyball applied to any conference yet?
    Jamestown: Well, we're exploring every opportunity....Men's soccer can play teams in Wisconsin, Iowa, Montana, Minnesota. We'll be fine. Men's Volleyball will play teams from Missouri, Illinois, and maybe even California.
    Recruit: You're telling me? USC and Stanford will travel to Jamestown for games?
    Jamestown: Well....
    Recruit: I can't wait to commit, I can't wait for paint bucket game every year!
    Jamestown: Did you know our school enrollment is more than 50% student-athletes!
    Recruit: Will we still have scholarships?
    Jamestown: Absolutely but unfortunately we're going to lose NAIA 50% and 100% exemptions, now they will be countable
    Last edited by debergfan; 10-13-2023, 10:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

• UMary1
    replied
    Originally posted by Mandan View Post

I actually disagree with putting Mayville in that category of "basement in everything", they've always had good basketball teams and have been in the national tournament often. The men have won two of the last three regular season conference championships, and the women have been second in the conference the last two years. They are usually decent in baseball too.
    Agreed and need to plug UMary Alum and current San Jose State Head Coach Tim Miles who got his start at Mayville State. You bring the right builder in any program regardless of location anything can happen.

Leave a comment:

• Mandan
    replied
    Originally posted by CheapSkate View Post

I don't think so in Division II. There are in the NAIA (paging Mayville State) but I think most D2's have at least a rotation of schools at the bottom, and not one single school that reigns in the basement in everything.

Morris kind of was, but they made their move, found a home - even built a new stadium - and have found success. They will never be a D3 contender nationally, but that's not what they are. They can compete for UMAC titles in almost everything and can do it with mostly local kids.

Another problem for Crookston, that make them a little more unique is a total lack of University identity. At least Morris is the public Liberal Arts College. Crookston has no identity. It used to be Ag, but it hasnt been that for a decade. programs are gone and the Dakota schools do it better anyway
    I actually disagree with putting Mayville in that category of "basement in everything", they've always had good basketball teams and have been in the national tournament often. The men have won two of the last three regular season conference championships, and the women have been second in the conference the last two years. They are usually decent in baseball too.

Leave a comment:

• zimmy21
    replied
    It appears The NSIC has agreed to do a campus visit at the end of October from an article I just read. I'll add the link as well.

Hieb said the next step in the university’s application process to join the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference is for conference officials to visit the UJ campus, which is scheduled to take place at the end of October. He said the university is hoping a decision on its application to the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference is made by the end of the calendar year.

https://www.jamestownsun.com/sports/...24-school-year

Leave a comment:

• CheapSkate
    replied
    Originally posted by laker View Post

We had a Crookston QB from Buffalo Lake who went to our church back in the 90s when they were a JC. I remember him wearing his football jacket. I think it was a mistake to change to a four year school. Reminds me of UM-Waseca, who started up around 1971 and was an ag school. Between Mankato and Rochester, there really wasn't a need there. Now it is a prison.
    Totally agree. That region is so sparse in population and already has NDSU, UND, Concordia-Moorhead, MSU-Moorhead and Bemidji State. There was never a need for another 4-year school there.

Leave a comment:

• laker
    replied
    Originally posted by CheapSkate View Post

I don't think so in Division II. There are in the NAIA (paging Mayville State) but I think most D2's have at least a rotation of schools at the bottom, and not one single school that reigns in the basement in everything.

Morris kind of was, but they made their move, found a home - even built a new stadium - and have found success. They will never be a D3 contender nationally, but that's not what they are. They can compete for UMAC titles in almost everything and can do it with mostly local kids.

Another problem for Crookston, that make them a little more unique is a total lack of University identity. At least Morris is the public Liberal Arts College. Crookston has no identity. It used to be Ag, but it hasnt been that for a decade. programs are gone and the Dakota schools do it better anyway
    We had a Crookston QB from Buffalo Lake who went to our church back in the 90s when they were a JC. I remember him wearing his football jacket. I think it was a mistake to change to a four year school. Reminds me of UM-Waseca, who started up around 1971 and was an ag school. Between Mankato and Rochester, there really wasn't a need there. Now it is a prison.

Leave a comment:

• CheapSkate
    replied
    Originally posted by UMary1 View Post

A quick question as you know more than me nationally, but in other conferences have there ever been programs with a reputation that Crookston had? Ex. do not belong, horrible facilities, no attempt to improve. Lonestar? GLIAC? Or is Crookston truly one of a kind to the point that when new members attempt to join Crookston memories arise.

Leave a comment:

• Purple Mav Man
    replied
    Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

SMSU has been bussing the wheelchair basketball team across the country for decades, from Pennsylvania to Arizona and many places in between.
    While that’s an awesome program, that is apples to oranges. Once again.

How much does it cost to lease the facilities? Travel is a part of the cost and is involved in every sport. Some are more costly to run than others. Hockey is far more expensive to operate than wheelchair basketball.

Leave a comment:

• zimmy21
    replied
    Originally posted by CollegeFBGuy View Post

Does the wheelchair basketball team get good sponsorship and donation support? I think that’s a cool program and one I could see many supporting
    Also is there federal funding for the program?

Leave a comment:

• CollegeFBGuy
    replied

SMSU has been bussing the wheelchair basketball team across the country for decades, from Pennsylvania to Arizona and many places in between.
    Does the wheelchair basketball team get good sponsorship and donation support? I think that’s a cool program and one I could see many supporting

Leave a comment:

• Stanger86
    replied
    Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post

Hockey ain’t cheap

Leave a comment:

• SW_Mustang
    replied
    Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post

Hockey ain’t cheap
    Definitely not, but most ACHA teams aren't funded by the school and ones that are probably aren't getting much.

I mean, SMSU joined the ACHA and we can't afford much as it is, though that project has been shelved for the time being (not due to money).

Leave a comment:

• Purple Mav Man
    replied

I'd equate it to the wheelchair basketball program here or even eSports. It's technically under the athletics umbrella and not a club sport. But even if athletics is funding it, it ultimately probably doesn't greatly affect the bottom line.
    Hockey ain’t cheap

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X