Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NSU vs Kato Spring Game

What a great setup for a practice. Nice way to get some live work in and see a different person across from u. Wonder what Witt thought??

Originally posted by Barndog View Post
    What a great setup for a practice. Nice way to get some live work in and see a different person across from u. Wonder what Witt thought??
    He had a number of pictures that he posted on Twitter. I'm waiting for his in-depth analysis since this was in his back yard.

Comment

Quick thoughts from the game..keeping in mind this was a regular football game..not a scrimmage with special rules. Mavs win 23-6.

Pics here on my twitter thread..
      https://x.com/WittD2Football/status/1781855731995623751

First half..
      Mankato takes the ball and goes on what felt like a 20 play drive for a touchdown..converts on 4th and 2 at midfield, etc. Mostly ground attack with no QB runs on the day (play it safe)..#24 Sam Backer (the dude in-waiting for the Mavs at RB) took most of the carries. Shen Butler Lawson played much more than I was expecting..I'm guessing he and Backer both had around 10 or more carries during the first three quarters of the contest. Backer did some nice things and isn't afraid to run behind his pads, while having a smaller 5'11 190 frame. He reminds me a bit of Max Mickey back in the day for USF. Lawson got loose for about a 30 yard carry after half..but otherwise yards were hard to come by for him. I'm guessing each had around 60-70 yards....keeping in mind I didn't see any official stats being kept where media was involved.

I thought the Mavs OL did ok..but not great..as NSU played them harder than I was expecting..honestly. I went in expecting a somewhat one-sided game..and that's not what we got at all. The wolves moved the ball in the first half....got picked on a late throw (Vespo at QB for most of the game, Max Thompson late)..but NSU ran the ball pretty well with Hank Kraft (#21) and then Wyatt Block as well. The two smaller backs are both put-together and Kraft seems like he could be a 800 yard kinda guy for them..just my quick take..he impressed me with how he hit the spot quickly and was physical. The passing game for NSU....was kinda lacking. They threw a bunch of fly routes on the edges but connected on like one of them..otherwise a lot of wasted plays there. The OL Coach was calling the offense (from my understanding)..and their commitment to the run was evident. #10 was a nice quick slot..he's in my pics..but unsure who he is now....as he's not 10 on the roster page. (edit that...Ty Wiley, at the bottom of the NSU page....xfer from ODU) He impressed me at times and think he could be a matchup problem for teams. I think Vespo throws a decent ball....over-shot guys on the fades..but I think NSU might look in the portal to see if they can find someone to try and help replace the void of Ingram and Larson.

Since this post is a ramble....lets continue....Mavs up 7-6 early...Northern marches twice..comes up with a tud..then xp blocked badly. We are then 7-6 until the last play of the first half..Mavs kick a FG there. Then a OT session was played..for situational work, I'm guessing..and both teams scored there..but that was a practice element apparently and didn't impact the game score. In the 2nd half..the Mavs came out with their 1's on offense (minus #6 Tre Watson, WR, kept out as he's battled injuries in the recent past)..but I was kinda expecting the 2nd half would be more for the 2's..but I feel the Mavs weren't happy about their offensive execution in the first half and finding themselves in a dogfight. Ekern played more than half of this contest but the Mavs passing game didn't show all that much..and didn't really hit on any explosives downfield..but didn't attempt many either..mostly underneath. They ran the jet sweep to #1 about 3 to 4x with more success than losses. NSU looked like they had their 2's playing after half for the most part.

The second half saw the Wolves continue to be eh in the passing game..and the running game wasn't working quite the same in the back half of the contest. The Mavs marched a few times for FG's and then in the 4th scored a touchdown when #26 got loose around the edge for about a 20 yard score.

After the game my initial feelings were the Mavs couldn't have been pleased at half..up 10-6..in a game I assume they figured would've been more like 21-6 at the break. The Mavs offense struggled at Augie in their final game of 2023 and surely wanted to show improvement in this game..but I'm not sure they found that..certainly something to learn from for improvement.

As for the Wolves..they'll need to get better in the passing game..but I think most NSU fans already knew of this concern. On the defensive side I thought Coach Schmidt has his club playing very well and they were physical with the Mavs and holding the Kato 1's to just 10 points in the first half was a good number.

Jordan Hein will be calling the offense from here. I'm assuming he's going to keep what they did well (and already know) from the scrimmage..and put his stamp on the passing game and try and find ways to uplift that aspect of the offense.

Sorry for the novel here.

Comment

Thanks for the update Witt. I feel like what you are saying is in line with the most optimistic expectations from Wolves fans for the upcoming season. If this team is going to be successful in 2024 it may not be the most aesthetically pleasing brand of football. The defense is going to have to be dominant, the running game will need to be solid, and the passing game will need to get lucky. The Wolves will need to win rock fights. In looking at the schedule I honestly don't know how NSU gets to 4 wins next season...and that won't be good enough.

Comment

Here are some photos I had posted at different points of the day....both teams..

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9557.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	824959

Comment

Coach Schmidt, Tukes (Vox), Coach Glasgo
            Attached Files

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9542.jpg Views:	0 Size:	58.2 KB ID:	824963

Witt and my guy Tom from NSIC Weekly..

Comment

Sam Backer, RB
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post
                  Sam Backer, RB
                  A RB named Sam Backer is so confusing.

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post

Agreed....to the point where I've caught myself as I typed it out. He's from small town MN and rushed for over 7,000 yards in HS....geez.
                    https://msumavericks.com/sports/foot...m-backer/12757

He should be a name we are talking about for a long while here in Mavs circles. I'd fully expect to see him help shoulder the load and keep Shen Butler Lawson fresh and not overcooked.

Comment

Hopefully his brothers are Will and Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post

Hopefully his brothers are Will and Mike
                        A WR and a TE.

Comment

A WR and a TE.
                          Mike is the WILL and Will is the MIKE.