Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Super Region 4 Ranking 11/5

Originally posted by Runnin' Cat View Post
    Past history of RMAC teams and the playoffs would have no bearing on CSUP chances of winning a playoff game. Pretty simple. One thing that increases CSUP's chances of winning a playoff game is actually making the playoffs. So, beating Western, as you point out, is a good start. Your remaining points on defense (soul crushing?) is definitely a plus, as is the groud the ground philosophy. I think if your QB has to win the game, CSUP is in trouble.
    Really? It's common knowledge that experience in the playoffs is a big plus. Our third string QB beat a much improved Adams State team. Our D could have won either of our last two games with one (1) safety. Hey, I'm not making road trip plans for McKinney just yet but CSUP has as good a chance as any to make it.
    Sprinkles are for winners!

Comment

[QUOTE=togthorn;2306896]
      Originally posted by MinnequaFats View Post
      I think Eeyore is limiting his comments to the RMAC. Besides Pueblo, Mines won a playoff game last year and Chadron I think has won one before and maybe Kearney did when they were in the conference, but other than that it's been slim pickings for RMAC.[/QUOTE

It really doesn't make much difference, but it was 2 years ago that Mines won their first round game.
      Originally posted by MinnequaFats View Post
      So I went and looked at the record book. Below are the NCAA playoff wins by RMAC school.

Colorado Mesa: 2000
      Colorado Mines: 2004, 2016
      Chadron State: 2006, 2007, 2008
      Nebraska Kearney: 2009
      CSU Pueblo: 2012, 2014(4 wins, National Champs), 2015(2 wins)
      Past history of RMAC teams and the playoffs would have no bearing on CSUP chances of winning a playoff game. Pretty simple. One thing that increases CSUP's chances of winning a playoff game is actually making the playoffs. So, beating Western, as you point out, is a good start. Your remaining points on defense (soul crushing?) is definitely a plus, as is the groud the ground philosophy. I think if your QB has to win the game, CSUP is in trouble.
      Sounds like a prospectus. Past performance is no guarantee of future returns.

Comment

[QUOTE=MinnequaFats;2306935]
        Originally posted by togthorn View Post

Sounds like a prospectus. Past performance is no guarantee of future returns.
        Sounds like my ex on our wedding night! :wink:

Comment

Originally posted by GWolf View Post
          Really? It's common knowledge that experience in the playoffs is a big plus. Our third string QB beat a much improved Adams State team. Our D could have won either of our last two games with one (1) safety. Hey, I'm not making road trip plans for McKinney just yet but CSUP has as good a chance as any to make it.
          Pueblo is yet again last in the conference passing the ball. While a great ground game and very talented defense will get them in, it isn't going to beat quality teams. Playoff experience will help. As will a solid backfield and great defense. Pueblo had all of those things last year. Edwards has struggled to consistently hit his receivers this season, that much is very obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbonium View Post
            Pueblo is yet again last in the conference passing the ball. While a great ground game and very talented defense will get them in, it isn't going to beat quality teams. Playoff experience will help. As will a solid backfield and great defense. Pueblo had all of those things last year. Edwards has struggled to consistently hit his receivers this season, that much is very obvious.
            To me the question is, "Last because they're not any good at it or last because they don't have to, due to the running game's success?" The same QB's from last year are still here, with another year's experience. Teams could stack the box last year and make them throw it but it's not so easy with the new plan, spreading it out with sweeps and such. No guarantees but I suspect it might get real interesting against a team with good defense. If all else fails we got some hot young-uns waiting in the wings. Saw some Bonner like flashes from Jace Christian in the Adams State game.
            Last edited by GWolf; 11-06-2018, 11:17 PM.

Comment

To me the question is, "Last because they're not any good at it or last because they don't have to, due to the running game's success?" The same QB's from last year are still here, with another year's experience. Teams could stack the box last year and make them throw it but it's not so easy with the new plan, spreading it out with sweeps and such. No guarantees but I suspect it might get real interesting against a team with good defense. If all else fails we got some hot young-uns waiting in the wings. Saw some Bonner like flashes from Jace Christian in the Adams State game.
              Bonner like flashes might be a bit much haha, the Adam's defense is pretty awful so I'll hold off on that comparison. Gunnar is the QB for the next 3 years though, no question about it.

As for this year, no they are not very good at it. At all. When Pueblo is in obvious passing downs the struggles really show. There's just not much threat there. They haven't yet needed it but seems they'd work on it a bit more for when they have to play teams like Duluth, Mankato, and Tarleton. Just looks to be the same area of concern for Pueblo in my opinion.

Edwards completed 66% of his passes last year, that's dropped to 55%. He doesn't look as confident dropping back.
              Last edited by Turbonium; 11-07-2018, 06:50 AM.

Comment

I clearly said RMAC. Not sure how to word it but the fundamentals are the stongest at Pueblo verses other RMAC teams why i am optimistic about winning anither national title soon. Maybe this year!

Comment

Bonner like flashes might be a bit much haha, the Adam's defense is pretty awful so I'll hold off on that comparison. Gunnar is the QB for the next 3 years though, no question about it.

As for this year, no they are not very good at it. At all. When Pueblo is in obvious passing downs the struggles really show. There's just not much threat there. They haven't yet needed it but seems they'd work on it a bit more for when they have to play teams like Duluth, Mankato, and Tarleton. Just looks to be the same area of concern for Pueblo in my opinion.

Edwards completed 66% of his passes last year, that's dropped to 55%. He doesn't look as confident dropping back.
                  I'm not an insider, no kin or skin on the field, but I would be very surprised if they aren't "working on it." As for the percentage, I have no statistics but it "seems" like there have been more attempts to stretch the field with long balls this year, with the idea likely being to use the pass to loosen up the box to facilitate the run. Can't blame them for building on what they do well.

As for the next three years, I know nothing about Gunnar Lamphere other than folks saying he's the best thing since sliced bread. My interest and/or knowledge about prep history is limited to the bell game (Yeah, I'm an old Pueblo homey). I thought Jace Christian handled the pressure well for a young-un against Adams State and look forward to some serious competition for the position next year.

But first, gotta get by Western!

Comment

I'm not an insider, no kin or skin on the field, but I would be very surprised if they aren't "working on it." As for the percentage, I have no statistics but it "seems" like there have been more attempts to stretch the field with long balls this year, with the idea likely being to use the pass to loosen up the box to facilitate the run. Can't blame them for building on what they do well.

As for the next three years, I know nothing about Gunnar Lamphere other than folks saying he's the best thing since sliced bread. My interest and/or knowledge about prep history is limited to the bell game (Yeah, I'm an old Pueblo homey). I thought Jace Christian handled the pressure well for a young-un against Adams State and look forward to some serious competition for the position next year.

But first, gotta get by Western!
                    Jace played far beyond what anyone could've hoped. No question about it. Lamphere is simply built for the offense Pueblo is now running. Jace is no threat to run, Lamphere will force defenses to account for him. It's an element Pueblo has really never had from that position.

Comment

West Florida and TAMUC say hello.

You are missing the point.

And did you just say that beating Adams was a big thing?

Comment

And did you just say that beating Adams was a big thing?
                        Yes. I did. With a third string QB and with 10 of our players suspended for the week (9 first string) it is rather a big thing.

Someone is missing the point for sure but it ain't me.

Comment

West Florida and TAMUC say hello.
                          Already dealt with Commerce, or did you notice?

Comment

Already dealt with Commerce, or did you notice?
                            Commerce didn't have playoff experience last year, nor did West Florida. That was the point that experience isn't required to make a deep run.

Comment

Jace played far beyond what anyone could've hoped. No question about it. Lamphere is simply built for the offense Pueblo is now running. Jace is no threat to run, Lamphere will force defenses to account for him. It's an element Pueblo has really never had from that position.
                              Hmm. Seems like a fellow named Bonner wasn't much of a running threat either. Did pretty well for all that!

Comment

Commerce didn't have playoff experience last year, nor did West Florida. That was the point that experience isn't required to make a deep run.
                                Required? I didn't say that. Just that "having been there" helps. Common knowledge in D2, D1 and the pros as well.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X