Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2024 rmac..

I noticed there wasn't much going on here on this forum, so figured I'd inquire with RMAC folks..what do you think 2024 looks like?

-How much does Mines really lose..? Matocha is the huge piece obviously..but heard Max McCloud might be returning (his dad told us he's got another year open to return). How about others..?

-CSUP....potent offense but had a lot of troubles with Mines and Western in blowout losses. Is Fuller gone..?

-Western....the renovated stadium looks nice, what's their outlook..how much they losing? LB, RB, etc.

-others..

Mines is losing a bunch but I don't really worry about them. The reason they are losing a bunch is because they have depth in every class and two senior classes are effectively graduating this year.

Matocha is special and next man up doesn't apply to the best player to ever do it statistically but there will be serviceable players back there. I may be wrong but last year's backup, Foster may have another year left and he got a lot of experience and played well with the second unit throughout the year. The young receiving core is returning a bunch of talent so they'll be fine there. Walker should be back and the young running backs with the second unit last year are high quality with a thunder/lightning approach. On the lines and defensively, they look to lose a bit of leadership there but the reserves played in several games last year and hung with RMAC first teamers.

There is a ton of equity in this program with talent in every year. I expect they'll continue to compete for RMAC and regional championships.

On a different note, their OOC schedule lacks the shine of the last few years. My gut says West Texas starts taking steps in the right direction in year two under Lynn and offers a good week 1 matchup. Replacing Grand Valley with a downward trending Washburn is not sexy and may even hurt Mines by the end of the season.

Comment

Originally posted by GoneBlastin View Post
      Mines is losing a bunch but I don't really worry about them. The reason they are losing a bunch is because they have depth in every class and two senior classes are effectively graduating this year.

Matocha is special and next man up doesn't apply to the best player to ever do it statistically but there will be serviceable players back there. I may be wrong but last year's backup, Foster may have another year left and he got a lot of experience and played well with the second unit throughout the year. The young receiving core is returning a bunch of talent so they'll be fine there. Walker should be back and the young running backs with the second unit last year are high quality with a thunder/lightning approach. On the lines and defensively, they look to lose a bit of leadership there but the reserves played in several games last year and hung with RMAC first teamers.

There is a ton of equity in this program with talent in every year. I expect they'll continue to compete for RMAC and regional championships.

On a different note, their OOC schedule lacks the shine of the last few years. My gut says West Texas starts taking steps in the right direction in year two under Lynn and offers a good week 1 matchup. Replacing Grand Valley with a downward trending Washburn is not sexy and may even hurt Mines by the end of the season.
      Appreciate the feedback and info here.

I think the lighter preseason schedule is best for Mines this year..they get a chance to break-in a new signal caller and plenty of other new parts without facing a top 5-10 kinda squad immediately.

Comment

I noticed that Ben Noland isn't on the SD Mines roster....star WR from a year ago. Then I see this..their QB just entered the portal. Anyone have intel on these events..?
        https://twitter.com/JaydenJohannsen

Comment

For CSUP, Fuller is not returning as a player, I believe he’s an assist offensive coach now.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post
            I noticed that Ben Noland isn't on the SD Mines roster....star WR from a year ago. Then I see this..their QB just entered the portal. Anyone have intel on these events..?
            This is news to me, and not great news at that. I'm not as tied in to the program anymore since I played under the previous regime and sadly don't live in the Hills anymore. I do know the AD who has been at Tech for a decade 'left the university to pursue other professional interests' and that we hired a new OC after Gent left to go back to NWMSU as the assistant head coach. Not sure what their situation is at Northwest, but would they follow him?

Comment

Originally posted by QB11111 View Post
              For CSUP, Fuller is not returning as a player, I believe he’s an assist offensive coach now.
              Fuller didn't have eligibility left I don't believe...

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post
                What are the odds they end up on the CSM roster come fall? Not good enough for FCS/FBS and clearly have the academics to warrant such a move...

Comment

Originally posted by Turbonium View Post

What are the odds they end up on the CSM roster come fall? Not good enough for FCS/FBS and clearly have the academics to warrant such a move...
                  So that would be the worst timeline by far... did the transfer portal and NIL age get rid of the intra-conference transfer ban? Legitimately curious, wasn't sure if that was an unspoken rule among coaches or an RMAC rule

As for the CSM speculation, I'd doubt it. To be clear, I haven't spoken to them or anyone on staff. Noland transferred from Northern State and was only in Rapid for a year after three in Aberdeen. His major was Business Management in Technology which is about as non-STEM as you can get Mines, so he isn't limited by engineering. Probably wouldn't be surprised if he was trying to find an FCS spot somewhere. There's a lot of lower FCS teams in the Southeast where he is originally from.

Jayden is more surprising to me. He said that he's a graduate transfer, so he's done with his ME degree. That makes the timing of entering the portal now make more sense if he's a spring graduate. Curious if he let the staff know ahead of time or not. As for the landing spot, It'd really depend on if he wants to get a master's in engineering or do something more business related. I suppose he could transfer to Colorado Mines and try to win the job there. I wouldn't be surprised if he tried to jump to an NSIC or MIAA team either.

Comment

Originally posted by HardRockin'Nerd View Post

So that would be the worst timeline by far... did the transfer portal and NIL age get rid of the intra-conference transfer ban? Legitimately curious, wasn't sure if that was an unspoken rule among coaches or an RMAC rule

As for the CSM speculation, I'd doubt it. To be clear, I haven't spoken to them or anyone on staff. Noland transferred from Northern State and was only in Rapid for a year after three in Aberdeen. His major was Business Management in Technology which is about as non-STEM as you can get Mines, so he isn't limited by engineering. Probably wouldn't be surprised if he was trying to find an FCS spot somewhere. There's a lot of lower FCS teams in the Southeast where he is originally from.

Jayden is more surprising to me. He said that he's a graduate transfer, so he's done with his ME degree. That makes the timing of entering the portal now make more sense if he's a spring graduate. Curious if he let the staff know ahead of time or not. As for the landing spot, It'd really depend on if he wants to get a master's in engineering or do something more business related. I suppose he could transfer to Colorado Mines and try to win the job there. I wouldn't be surprised if he tried to jump to an NSIC or MIAA team either.

It's not a conference rule I know that, plenty of guys have transferred from RMAC to RMAC. Big losses for SDM though for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by HardRockin'Nerd View Post

I've been told Noland is no longer in school and has moved on to life after football. As for JJ, he seemingly got in the portal a week ago, so that would imply he got in after spring ball..I believe. Not having his top wideout..along with his OC from the last few years....makes ya wonder if that's played into this at all. Anyway, some immediate thoughts for suiters would be NWMSU (OC went back there), Angelo State, Augustana, CO Mines....as they are all playoff level squads and feel like a D2 destination for a guy with his ability..all of them replacing a veteran starting QB..or have a need at the position. I suppose he could also be getting some FCS interest..but unsure those are teams he would find interesting. It kinda has the RMAC QB transfer feeling of Karst Hunter a year ago....FCS drop-back who's got physical skills and size..and has shown well in D2.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X