Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Columbuseer
    replied
    Which newcomers will make biggest offensive impact? I have 3 candidates in mind but I am struggling to narrow it down based on highlights: Boswell, Robinson and Butler.

Boswell has a way of drawing fouls and is fearless.
    Robinson has some killer left hand moves. I love how he wriggles his way in traffic to get an open look.
    Butler has an understanding of game beyond his years and has a 3 pt stroke as well as great footwork around the basket.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrub View Post

Dennis was still here when Justice left. He might have understood how the starting PG job was going to be filled in the coming years (if Crutch/Dennis had stayed of course)

Leave a comment:

• Scrub
    replied
    Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post

Actually justice left year before crutch left. His brother played at Valdosta and had become assistant coach. I really liked his game - very complete. Became all American his junior year.
    Dennis was still here when Justice left. He might have understood how the starting PG job was going to be filled in the coming years (if Crutch/Dennis had stayed of course)

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP Extra Mile View Post

Clay was the forgotten man of the exodus when Crutch left...I forgot about him...He had big time minutes as a freshman and was really good...Lost David Dennis, Beau Justice, and Clay Guillozet...

WL can certainly evaluate good guards (esp from OHIO). They don't have too many recruiting "misses". Try and think of a couple players who never lived up to hype or never panned out over 4 years...Not too many...they either leave in 1-2 years or they stay 4 and end up contributing big time. Think about it..Most of their senior day kids are big contributors..You typically don't get to your senior year at WL if you're not contributing...Now that may be the coaches recommending they leave or what...but they make their mark most of the time.
    Actually justice left year before crutch left. His brother played at Valdosta and had become assistant coach. I really liked his game - very complete. Became all American his junior year.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied
    Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't Dennis and Guillozet sort of a "package deal?" Friends who quit WLU together and were allegedly looking to transfer to the same team together. Always found it odd that he didn't end up going to Nova with Dennis. Crutch doesn't miss on many players but I think he did with Guillozet, at least at Nova. Could probably have had him for an offer but apparently decided not to.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP Extra Mile View Post

Clay was the forgotten man of the exodus when Crutch left...I forgot about him...He had big time minutes as a freshman and was really good...Lost David Dennis, Beau Justice, and Clay Guillozet...

WL can certainly evaluate good guards (esp from OHIO). They don't have too many recruiting "misses". Try and think of a couple players who never lived up to hype or never panned out over 4 years...Not too many...they either leave in 1-2 years or they stay 4 and end up contributing big time. Think about it..Most of their senior day kids are big contributors..You typically don't get to your senior year at WL if you're not contributing...Now that may be the coaches recommending they leave or what...but they make their mark most of the time.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't Dennis and Guillozet sort of a "package deal?" Friends who quit WLU together and were allegedly looking to transfer to the same team together. Always found it odd that he didn't end up going to Nova with Dennis. Crutch doesn't miss on many players but I think he did with Guillozet, at least at Nova. Could probably have had him for an offer but apparently decided not to.

Leave a comment:

• IUP Extra Mile
    replied
    FYI - former wlu player who arrived with dalton bolon was 6-4 clay guillozet. Now a senior at Valdosta state, he scored 27 points with 6 rebounds in 93-81 loss to Georgia bulldogs in exhibition. Georgia has a lottery pick in Anthony Edwards. Georgia committed 25 turnovers against Valdosta. Congrats clay

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied
    FYI - former wlu player who arrived with dalton bolon was 6-4 clay guillozet. Now a senior at Valdosta state, he scored 27 points with 6 rebounds in 93-81 loss to Georgia bulldogs in exhibition. Georgia has a lottery pick in Anthony Edwards. Georgia committed 25 turnovers against Valdosta. Congrats clay

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied
    replacing skills of seniors - Brady Arnold

I am going to miss Brady Arnold and his ability to run down a player to tap ball away from behind after opponent had broken the press. I was amazed that opponents did not know he was coming from watching film and would know to keep their head in a swivel in the open court. He generated many 4 point swings with his effort by turning a potential layup into a turnover and a fast break for West Liberty!

who might step up this year to partially fill the gap?

From watching highlights I would guess Malik and/or Patrick. They both seem to have that burst of acceleration that Brady had.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied
    Fyi - read where head coach of Shaw resigned this week due to family issues. Wlu plays them on nov 10.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied
    led his team to first conference title. He could approach 2000 points before he graduates. Wow!

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied
    Thanks for info!
    4.1 gpa 28 ACT 30 ppg and 15 rpg. Impressive. High motor, smart player who can slash to basket in traffic or hit the deep 3. Seems like wlu is a great fit for him!

Leave a comment:

• Layton
    replied
    https://twitter.com/luketpowell_33/s...125446145?s=21

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/8844792...df2b0cacb5dae6

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

Interesting question.
    devin - needs more experience as game day coach
    Brett- non wlu grad who only coached one year in system. Probably has sights set on d1 job.

Jordan has experience but only 2 years coaching with crutchfield. Good recruiter I would assume.
    mike only has 1 year coaching with Ben but would also be a great choice in a couple of years

Huffman would be a great choice if he were interested in a head coaching position.

Outside of Huffman, I think Fee is the most "game ready" to be a HC and implement the WLU Style. He played two years under Crutch and then spent one year as a grad assistant at WLU. This coming season will be is fourth under Crutch (one as a GA at WLU and three at Nova).

I think Lamberti and Hoehn will need a few more years under Crutch and Ben's tutelage before they are ready to take the WLU Style to another program

Ervin is sort of a wild card. Only one year under Ben but maybe he learned enough to realize that the WLU Style is a road map to success. Because of his career success outside of the year he spent at WLU, he might be the first to get a HC gig and that gig might possibly be at a D1 IF it is at a D1 and IF he implements the full WLU Style, it could be our first opportunity to see if it works at the D1 level.

Another WLU alumni in the college coaching ranks - Brandon Smith (Class of 17) - Assistant at Glenville after one year as an assistant at Fairmont.
    Last edited by boatcapt; 10-14-2019, 11:43 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied
    Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

Very good observations Scrub and Columbus. Love the Moneyball comparison about market inefficiency. Just as with analitics in baseball, the "experts" were hyper critical of how WLU played. But I note that Crutch's success in turning Nova into a winner coupled with Ben's ability to keep WLU chugging along have sort of silenced these experts a little. They still aren't willing to admit that the system is just as good as the "traditional" styles they think are the "right" ways to play, but they at least don't seem to be calling it a "gadget" system anymore.
    Good observation about critics going silent. With the population in Florida and the campus location, st. Crutch just might create a d2 monster! Great athletes there and nova seems to have a pipeline to Europe too.

Ben is also upgrading the recruiting each year too. I can dream about them meeting in the finals and the country would finally learn about the style!

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X