• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• boatcapt
    replied
    Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
    Good points. Pride goes before a fall... Rumor in Columbus was people were whispering the siren song of D1 in Dennis' ear, as I heard rumors about transfer in Nov 2016. If so, he got a dose of reality. Beau Justice made all conference and is with his brother who is a grad assistant there at Valdosta. Now a big fish in a little pond, although Beau said in an interview that Valdosta's conference is much tougher than MEC. Not sure I agree. Although I could be wrong, Clay seemed to play more than Bonifant as a freshmantttttt. Some are patient and stay the course. I thought Clay had potential to be the next All American as a Junior (after Monterosa leaves), although he is somewhat of a tweener at his position. I wish him well and hope his academic decision works out.
    I've never understood "advisors" or "friends" that fill players heads with D1 nonsense. Guess they don't have the chops to play D1 for themselves so the next best thing is to be able to say their "best friend" plays D1. Sure, there are a number of examples of players that were overlooked by D1's for a scholly, walked on at a D1 and became stars but there are FAR more that walked away from a D2 to persue their D1 dream because their friend/advisor/family convinced them they were better than they were and ended up out of college athletics within 12 months of leaving or turning down DII. Absent athletics to keep them in school, many end up dropping out of college all together and struggling to find a job. Media is GREAT at hyping the few stories of the unrecruted player that stuck to his dream and ended up staring at a big name D1 inspite of what the "experts" said but never report on the players who persued their D1 dream and ended up out of college and broke in two years.

As far as Justice saying the GAC is "tougher" than the MEC...Are you surprised? I seriously doubt a player who transferred to a school in a different conference is going to say - "The MEC is a much tougher conference than the GAC." Also doubtful he would say "West Liberty is a much better program than Valdosta." In his mind he needs to validate his transfer and the easy way to do that is to proclaim that he "stepped-up" to a "tougher" conference.
    Last edited by boatcapt; 07-07-2017, 10:48 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
    Probably for the first time in his basketball career, Guillozet was not a starter last year at WLU even though he garnered starter minutes. I'm sure that left a sour taste in his mouth. Add in a team mate who did start as a TF, is considering transfering and is your best friend whispering in your ear how you "deserve" to start and about how it was an "insult" to you that you weren't a starter, and it's not surprising at all.

Some players have a self image of themselves that REQUIRES they be the STARTER...and no amount of "starter minutes" or "starter level production" will ever be enough. Now fellow Valdosta teammate and WLU transfer Beau Justice was the same way...played a key role, garnered 15+ minutes per game and was a good scorer as a TF...but for the first time in his career, not a starter and that drove him to transfer to a school were his greatness would be better appreciated.
    Good points. Pride goes before a fall... Rumor in Columbus was people were whispering the siren song of D1 in Dennis' ear, as I heard rumors about transfer in Nov 2016. If so, he got a dose of reality. Beau Justice made all conference and is with his brother who is a grad assistant there at Valdosta. Now a big fish in a little pond, although Beau said in an interview that Valdosta's conference is much tougher than MEC. Not sure I agree. Although I could be wrong, Clay seemed to play more than Bonifant as a freshman. Some are patient and stay the course. I thought Clay had potential to be the next All American as a Junior (after Monterosa leaves), although he is somewhat of a tweener at his position. I wish him well and hope his academic decision works out.

Leave a comment:

• Sportsnut
    replied

So maybe they can go to Valdosta and split their minutes between the two. 7 1/2 a game for each!

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

I am surprised about Guillozet. From my research (USNewsCollege rankings), Valdosta is a step below both West Liberty and Nova Southeastern and Lincoln Memorial . Maybe they have a good reputation in a his major.
    But if he made the decision primarlily on basketball prospects, he must still be living the dream... Personally, I would have redshirted at Nova and gotten a year of Grad School for free.
    In today's market, an M.S. is now the B.S. of the 1980s, as a minimum standard for a job in today's market.
    Probably for the first time in his basketball career, Guillozet was not a starter last year at WLU even though he garnered starter minutes. I'm sure that left a sour taste in his mouth. Add in a team mate who did start as a TF, is considering transfering and is your best friend whispering in your ear how you "deserve" to start and about how it was an "insult" to you that you weren't a starter, and it's not surprising at all.

Some players have a self image of themselves that REQUIRES they be the STARTER...and no amount of "starter minutes" or "starter level production" will ever be enough. Now fellow Valdosta teammate and WLU transfer Beau Justice was the same way...played a key role, garnered 15+ minutes per game and was a good scorer as a TF...but for the first time in his career, not a starter and that drove him to transfer to a school were his greatness would be better appreciated.
    Last edited by boatcapt; 07-07-2017, 07:29 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied

I am surprised about Guillozet. From my research (USNewsCollege rankings), Valdosta is a step below both West Liberty and Nova Southeastern and Lincoln Memorial . Maybe they have a good reputation in a his major.
    But if he made the decision primarlily on basketball prospects, he must still be living the dream... Personally, I would have redshirted at Nova and gotten a year of Grad School for free.
    In today's market, an M.S. is now the B.S. of the 1980s, as a minimum standard for a job in today's market.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

Clay guillozet announced he is going to Valdosta state.
    Jeez...Talk about a team that "builds" though transfers!!! They have ONE player on their roster who came to them from HS and he's a walk-on RS Soph who played in 6 games last season and scored 6 points!!! Didn't bring in ANY HS players last year and apparently have brought in no HS players this season!! In fact, Verbal Commits indicates Guizolet is the only player that Valdosta has brought in thus far off a team that lost 8 seniors.

I hear Chucky Humphrees is available and I think Marco Columbo has a couple of years of eligibility left...Bring them in and along with Guilozet and Justice and Valdosta would truly be WLU South!!!
    Last edited by boatcapt; 07-05-2017, 07:52 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied

Clay guillozet announced he is going to Valdosta state.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Youngstown State announced its non-conference schedule today.

I was kind of expecting to see either an MEC or PSAC team on there. Instead ... D3 Westminster (Pa.). Wow.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied

Arnold looks stronger. Bolon looks about 6 ft 5. Looks like Meininger has slimmed down and muscled up.

could be good signs.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

That's a big loss for them. Tham is a pretty nice player and should continue to develop. I saw they signed a couple big boys to apparently replace him.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

Originally posted by Layton View Post
    I know Bolon monteroso and Arnold won the 3v3 GDP classic, not really sure what it is though
    Don't forget Meinenger who was also on the championship team!!

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Did Tham transfer as was mentioned on here?

WL opens with Cheyney and Seton Hill.

WJ opens against Gannon (at Shepherd).
    Reported on VaPrep Jun 18:

Former Wakefield All-State performer Dominique​ Tham will be transferring to Mount Olive (D-2 in NC).

Note that the linked twitter page is Tham's.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Did Tham transfer as was mentioned on here?

WL opens with Cheyney and Seton Hill.

WJ opens against Gannon (at Shepherd).

Leave a comment:

• Layton
    replied

I know Bolon monteroso and Arnold won the 3v3 GDP classic, not really sure what it is though

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied

No WVU- West Lib exhibition this year - WVU is playing Wheeling Jesuit! WVU just released schedule.
    Anyone know the inside story? I had heard last year that West Lib would play them. WJU should be loaded this year.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X