Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• boatcapt
    replied
    Guess 129 points wasn't enough for WLU. WLU smoked Shaw 132 to 85!!

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied
    Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

Yeah it's beyond me how WLU WBB could lose to a team that's been to the last 5 NCAA tournaments with a record of 137-27 over that time including 5-2 vs the TOPPERS !! Probably just dumb luck or officiating.
    They are not mutually exclusive. Yes Cal has been to the last five NCAA tourneys...Yes they have a 5-2 record over the Toppers...Yes the Toppers did blow a 10 point lead with 2:26 to play to lose by 1 point.

Leave a comment:

• CALUPA69
    replied
    Originally posted by Layton View Post
    Well easy 50 point win for the men. The women absolutely blew one against Cal.
    Yeah it's beyond me how WLU WBB could lose to a team that's been to the last 5 NCAA tournaments with a record of 137-27 over that time including 5-2 vs the TOPPERS !! Probably just dumb luck or officiating.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied
    Good way to start!!

Leave a comment:

• Layton
    replied
    Well easy 50 point win for the men. The women absolutely blew one against Cal.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Daemen may have been getting too much hype. NWMS destroyed them over the weekend. The margin was 20 but it didn't even feel that close.

I didn't expect Daemen to win but after tune-ups against Syracuse and Buffalo, I thought they'd be much more competitive.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied
    Cant wait! Ben said he want's to ratchet up the press and he said he has the guards to do it. THAT will be interesting to watch!

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied
    http://media.wvmetronews.com/media/1...ober292019.mp3

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied
    Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post

I found Coach K's comments after the game. He comments don't appear to align with your views. Very informative press conference. One advantage he mentioned is that their bigs are not used to playing far away from basket against 5-out offsense. NWMSU seems to have players like WL - everyone can handle the ball, shoot, pass, unselfish, etc.

"they are not used to playing 5-out. we don not see it in Power 5.... more common in D2"
    "NWMS is very unselfish...".
    "Thought Duke played very good defense in forcing 21 turnovers. Offense was bad."
    "NWSU very very good and can play with anyone... and beat most of them"
    "I wanted to win"
    https://www.wralsportsfan.com/duke-m...ener/18724979/
    Hahaha!!! As a Maryland fan, I'm quite familiar with Coach K's post game pressers! They can beat the #1 ranked team in the nation by 20 points and you'd SWEAR that the lost by 15!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied
    Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
    I go back to what I've been saying, quite a bit of difference between an exebition game than a "real" game on so many levels. The result would probably be quite a bit different at Cameron if NWMSU was playing Duke "for realz!"

Does Coach K want to lose to NWMSU in an exebition game? No, not really. But is he willing to pull out all the stops to win? Probably not. A close game vs a DII like this probably gives Coach K a lot MORE than a blow out...Imagine what Duke's practices will be like for the next week! You THOUGHT you were the #6 team in the NATION? You BARELY beat a DII team...Now get out there and show me somthing in practice!!!
    My experience is that great athletes or others driven to success are ultra-competitive - they don't want to lose at ANYTHING. How many great athletes don't want to win a pick-up game and stay on the court? I would agree that at the beginning of a game, they might not take a team seriously. But then the drive to win takes over, especially if the other team proves to be competitive. Coach K alluded to this in his press conference.

I found Coach K's comments after the game. . Very informative press conference. Many of the things he said about NWMSU, one could apply to WLU. One advantage he mentioned is that the Duke bigs are not used to playing far away from basket against 5-out offsense. NWMSU seems to have players like WL - everyone can handle the ball, shoot, pass, unselfish, etc.

"they are not used to playing 5-out. we do not see it in Power 5.... more common in D2"
    "NWMS is very unselfish...".
    "Thought Duke played very good defense in forcing 21 turnovers. Offense was bad."
    "NWSU very very good and can play with anyone... and beat most of them"
    "I wanted to win" - he was not holding back.
    https://www.wralsportsfan.com/duke-m...ener/18724979/

Maybe someone can find a replay and see if in their opinion Duke was holding back or playing to win.Coach K. says they were definitely trying to win. I got the impression the reporters were incredulous that D2 could hang with Duke and were looking for a rationalization.
    Last edited by Columbuseer; 10-27-2019, 06:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied
    I go back to what I've been saying, quite a bit of difference between an exebition game than a "real" game on so many levels. The result would probably be quite a bit different at Cameron if NWMSU was playing Duke "for realz!"

Does Coach K want to lose to NWMSU in an exebition game? No, not really. But is he willing to pull out all the stops to win? Probably not. A close game vs a DII like this probably gives Coach K a lot MORE than a blow out...Imagine what Duke's practices will be like for the next week! You THOUGHT you were the #6 team in the NATION? You BARELY beat a DII team...Now get out there and show me somthing in practice or you'll be riding the bench!!!

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied
    Has NWMSU demonstrated that it is not a pipe dream that an elite D2 team that can shoot threes can hang with elite D1 teams ON A GIVEN NIGHT? They lost 69-63 at Duke.

Last year, NWMSU hit over 40% from three (but less than west Lib).

I think it shows that basketball is more complex than the vertical jump, size, and athletic ability of individuals.

On a given night, a top level D2 school can hang with a high major D1 school, if the stars align correctly.
    Duke has elite coaching and elite future NBA players. NWMSU has great coaching and great D2 players.
    To offset the athetic talent, IMHO a D2 school has to accompish the following objectives:
    1. be able to have a good night shooting threes relative to the D1 team.
    NWMSU hit 15-34 or 44%. Duke shot terriblly from three. (2-16) or 12 %
    2. Keep turnovers close. However, Duke caused 21 turnovers to committing 14.
    3. Keep FTs somewhat close, although D2 would likely commit more fouls due to size disadvantage. NWMSU only shot 4 FTs (2-4). Duke hit 13-22 FTs.
    4. D1 team must have a sub-par shooting night overall Duke FT% (59% versus 50% for NWSU) , Duke FG % 4(2% versus 39% for NWMSU) , Duke 3 pt% (12% versus 44% for NWSU)
    5. Catch the D1 team early in the season, espcially if they are young. Helps if the D2 team is experienced.

NWMSU achieved Objectives 1 and 5 above, but Duke helped with sub-par shooting (Objective 4 above).

West Lib definitely has the shooters. The open issue for me regarding the WL style, is whether the press would generate turnovers against a Duke or would it be broken easily for easy points.

BTW, Mercyhurst came the closest to defeating NWMSU last year., at least in NCAA toruney.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrub View Post

I admit that I absolutely HATED Boswell when he was a Cardinal. Just can't stand to see a guy play like that . . . until he's on your team. He will be an absolute tasmanian devil in the WLU system, and I can't imagine any newcomer having a greater impact. Fun guy to cheer against when he's playing with your rival; probably an even more fun guy to cheer FOR when he's wearing your colors.
    I can understand your feelings. I Would prefer if no players gestured to the crowd and stayed in the moment and stayed laser focused until end of game or a timeout.

IMHO In the wl system there is no time for that as one must switch from offense to/from defense instantly.

Several years ago at glenville they had wlu on the ropes. Late in the game # 15 hit a deep 3 from the top of the key. He pumped his fists in the air in celebration for only one or 2 seconds - instead of getting back on defense. Wl grabbed the ball after the score and threw a long pass over his head to grossenbacher who was sprinting down the floor in transition for a layup. Glenville lost in OT.

I love how wlu instantly transitions. Your man just dunked over you? No pouting or slamming ball in frustration. They grab the ball and go on offense. They stay in the moment!

Leave a comment:

• Scrub
    replied
    Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
    Which newcomers will make biggest offensive impact? I have 3 candidates in mind but I am struggling to narrow it down based on highlights: Boswell, Robinson and Butler.

Boswell has a way of drawing fouls and is fearless.
    Robinson has some killer left hand moves. I love how he wriggles his way in traffic to get an open look.
    Butler has an understanding of game beyond his years and has a 3 pt stroke as well as great footwork around the basket.
    I admit that I absolutely HATED Boswell when he was a Cardinal. Just can't stand to see a guy play like that . . . until he's on your team. He will be an absolute tasmanian devil in the WLU system, and I can't imagine any newcomer having a greater impact. Fun guy to cheer against when he's playing with your rival; probably an even more fun guy to cheer FOR when he's wearing your colors.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X