X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Columbuseer
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

Wow... now some sense being spoken. I wonder why a team like IUP didn't opt in with only being able to get cup cakes on the schedule? hmmm

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrub View Post

When you're sitting on 3 losses in a small-field tourney year, you're worried about every opponent. Notre Dame was about 2 minutes away from making hosting duties in the Regional very uncomfortable for a disappointed collection of ball boys and stat runners.
    Wow... now some sense being spoken. I wonder why a team like IUP didn't opt in with only being able to get cup cakes on the schedule? hmmm

Leave a comment:

• Scrub
    replied
    Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post

So true. Another concern is balance of GMAC. Hillsdale and Findlay have had close games. Cedarville has beaten them both. Risk is hillsdale and findlay lose inTourney and gmac gets 3 teams.
    Walsh and Kentucky Wesleyan are also tough outs. MEC fans just have to hope that Hillsdale takes care of business.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied

When you're sitting on 3 losses in a small-field tourney year, you're worried about every opponent. Notre Dame was about 2 minutes away from making hosting duties in the Regional very uncomfortable for a disappointed collection of ball boys and stat runners.
    So true. Another concern is balance of GMAC. Hillsdale and Findlay have had close games. Cedarville has beaten them both. Risk is hillsdale and findlay lose inTourney and gmac gets 3 teams.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied

My mistake. Powell is the kid from D&E who started the year with a very high scoring average. Looks like he got off to a very hot start but may have regularized lately. We haven't seen him yet.
    Speaking of powell, can't wait to see Luke powell next year. He is injured this year at wlu. Scored 2374 points. He and Zach Rasile were 2 of 8 finalists for mr. ohio basketball.

Leave a comment:

• Scrub
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

You're worried about Frostburg? That's like playing against a low class high school team.

Leave a comment:

• Scrub
    replied

Don't see a powell on fsu roster. Imho best player is #4 edwards averages 19 and 39% from 3 and good dribble drive. I know we beat them by 62 earlier. But against wvsu they were playing wlu ball on offense and were carving up wvsu. Frostburg definitely lost the pre game warmup against wvsu. Announcers said it was the unselfish offense they had been waiting to see.

Wvsu definitely took them lightly. Unselfish, team ball can be a great equalizer.

I know coach Howlett will make changes if he does not see great Effort.
    My mistake. Powell is the kid from D&E who started the year with a very high scoring average. Looks like he got off to a very hot start but may have regularized lately. We haven't seen him yet. I just remember him making some headlines after a hot start. But we've had to wait so long to see him--we many not see that version of him.
    Last edited by Scrub; 02-17-2021, 02:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied

The Powell kid averages some obscene number of points (like, maybe 27 per game or something like that). If someone around him has a career game, they're already halfway to an upset. I agree that they will need to take care of business against Frostburg.
    Don't see a powell on fsu roster. Imho best player is #4 edwards averages 19 and 39% from 3 and good dribble drive. I know we beat them by 62 earlier. But against wvsu they were playing wlu ball on offense and were carving up wvsu. Frostburg definitely lost the pre game warmup against wvsu. Announcers said it was the unselfish offense they had been waiting to see.

Wvsu definitely took them lightly. Unselfish, team ball can be a great equalizer.

I know coach Howlett will make changes if he does not see great Effort.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    Wlu cannot overlook frostburg. When we played them earlier, their star player had the green light to jack up bad shots. Before their wvsu victory, somebody gave them the wlu version of the vulcan mind meld. They were rapidly passing the ball and giving up good shots for great shots. Went up 20 in 1st half.
    You're worried about Frostburg? That's like playing against a low class high school team.

Leave a comment:

• Scrub
    replied
    Wlu cannot overlook frostburg. When we played them earlier, their star player had the green light to jack up bad shots. Before their wvsu victory, somebody gave them the wlu version of the vulcan mind meld. They were rapidly passing the ball and giving up good shots for great shots. Went up 20 in 1st half.
    The Powell kid averages some obscene number of points (like, maybe 27 per game or something like that). If someone around him has a career game, they're already halfway to an upset. I agree that they will need to take care of business against Frostburg.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied
    WLU has been in win or stay home since the final horn in Charleston on Jan 30. One more loss and they are probably out of the Top 6 and their only route to the tourney is through the MECs automatic bid. EVERY game for them is must win.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied
    FYI WLU National D2 stat ranking (through midnight Feb 14)
    NCAA ranks the 312 D2 schools in 31 national statistics, of which only 26 are relevant to the WLU style (see note below).

WLU ranks in the:
    • top 50 in 24 of the relevant 26 categories
    • top 20 in 19 categories
    • top 10 in 12 categories
    • top 5 in 9 categories

Note: The WL style is incongruous with some statistics, such as fewest fouls, personal fouls per game, fewest turnovers, turnovers per game, scoring defense, etc., which leaves only 26 relevant stats for WLU.
    Date Stat Rank Value
    2/14/2021 Scoring Offense 1 104.8
    2/14/2021 Assists per game 2 20.8
    2/14/2021 Total Rebounds per game 2 45.58
    2/14/2021 Scoring margin 3 24
    2/14/2021 Turnover margin 3 6.3
    2/14/2021 Steals per Game 4 10.6
    2/14/2021 Turnovers forced per game 4 19.25
    2/14/2021 Defensive Rebounds per game 5 29.5
    2/14/2021 Rebound Margin 5 9
    2/14/2021 Offensive rebounds per game 6 16.08
    2/14/2021 Assist to turnover ratio 7 1.61
    2/14/2021 Total steals 9 127
    2/14/2021 Blocked shots per game 12 4.3
    2/14/2021 Total Assists 15 249
    2/14/2021 Three Point FG Defense 16 30.20%
    2/14/2021 Free Throw Made 19 240
    2/14/2021 Free Throw Percentage 20 77.67%
    2/14/2021 Three-point FG per game 20 10.6
    2/14/2021 Total Blocks 20 52
    2/14/2021 Free Throw Attempts 30 309
    2/14/2021 FG percentage 32 48.26%
    2/14/2021 Total Rebounds 34 547
    2/14/2021 3-point FG attempts 38 358
    2/14/2021 Total three-point FG Made 40 127

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied
    Do note that Findlay had a terrible week this week and now shows 4 losses on their record. But, they have that signature win against Hillsdale on their record from back in December. Can't take that away from them. I wouldn't count the Oilers out of anything just yet. Especially with the mess the MEC has become this year. Charleston likely has the easiest path to a "secure" spot. After that, it's a dog fight between WLU, WVSU, FSU, & Glenville. The upcoming WLU/FSU game might just become a sort of de facto "play in game." Both teams gotta have it.
    Thanks scrub. Was not aware of findlays losses. Hope ndc or others can pull some upsets in the last week and wlu can win out.

Leave a comment:

• Scrub
    replied
    Do note that Findlay had a terrible week this week and now shows 4 losses on their record. But, they have that signature win against Hillsdale on their record from back in December. Can't take that away from them. I wouldn't count the Oilers out of anything just yet. Especially with the mess the MEC has become this year. Charleston likely has the easiest path to a "secure" spot. After that, it's a dog fight between WLU, WVSU, FSU, & Glenville. The upcoming WLU/FSU game might just become a sort of de facto "play in game." Both teams gotta have it.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X