X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUP Extra Mile
    replied
    Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

Well, a one point halftime lead turned into a 24 point win. Charleston, historically, has done a good job of slowing the tempo down with WL. They haven't had great success doing it--beat them in the MEC final in 2014(?), but otherwise, WL has beaten them pretty regularly. I do give them credit, they are one of the only MEC teams that at least tries to do something other than run with them. 18-38 3 pointers will help you to a 24 point win. good shooting performance, while Charleston sat in the zone. Monteroso is a beast. Clay looks like a Freshman keeper. Still concerned about Hoehn's inconsistency from 3. Maybe I'm spoiled from Seger.

I got flagged last week for criticizing Arnold, and he responded last week with a touche to me---4-4 vs ND OH, including 3-3 from 3. I'm sure I'll get flak for this one, too, but Dennis needs to finish better at the rim...Gets in to the paint consistently, but misses an inordinate number of his twisting layups. Also, shoots too many 3's for my liking...But he's one of the quickest guards in d2, and love that he's only a sophomore. When he finally graduates, he'll be one of those players, where you say--jesus, seems like he's been playing for them for 7 years...He's special...I just want more consistent finishes at the rim.

Still only one loss...and big one vs Fairmont coming up next saturday...

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

FYI...WLU beat Notre Dame at Notre Dame last night. Never trailed and up by as many as 24 in the first half and 27 in the second. Six players in double digits and 34 points off the bench. Not a great shooting % by some of the starters but the bench play of Arnold (4-4 from the field) and Gauz (5-8) helped keep us above 50%.

Next up is a UC squad that was 9-1 at one point but is now 10-8 after going 1-7 over its last 8 games. I'm sure they would love to reset their season with an upset!

Leave a comment:

• FlyHawk98
    replied

Originally posted by timbertopper View Post
    Don't believe Yoakum verbaled until after the November early-signing period had ended. School/coaches may not be able to comment on recruits until paperwork is in hand. Everything I've heard indicates he is sticking with his commitment.
    Coaches are not allowed to comment until a recruit has signed.

Leave a comment:

• timbertopper
    replied

Originally posted by Sportsnut View Post
    Never found anything on Will Yoakum whose name was mentioned on this forum that is a recruit. Anything formal on him being in the fold or has he moved on?
    Don't believe Yoakum verbaled until after the November early-signing period had ended. School/coaches may not be able to comment on recruits until paperwork is in hand. Everything I've heard indicates he is sticking with his commitment.

Leave a comment:

• DownLow55
    replied

Checking out next years recruits and found the announcement of Marlon Moore 6-5 and Keegan Sabon 6-3 that the sports information department made but never found anything on Will Yoakum whose name was mentioned on this forum that is a recruit. Anything formal on him being in the fold or has he moved on? We lose 3 seniors and hopefully a bench guy may move on so it would be nice to sign at least 4 players. We really need a 6-6/6-7 guy, probably a transfer to replace Gross since it would be hard for a true freshman to come in and make a significate contribution. Sounds like Moore plays bigger than his 6-5 height.
    Correct he does.

Leave a comment:

• Sportsnut
    replied

Checking out next years recruits and found the announcement of Marlon Moore 6-5 and Keegan Sabon 6-3 that the sports information department made but never found anything on Will Yoakum whose name was mentioned on this forum that is a recruit. Anything formal on him being in the fold or has he moved on? We lose 3 seniors and hopefully a bench guy may move on so it would be nice to sign at least 4 players. We really need a 6-6/6-7 guy, probably a transfer to replace Gross since it would be hard for a true freshman to come in and make a significate contribution. Sounds like Moore plays bigger than his 6-5 height.

Leave a comment:

• Layton
    replied

Something that has been overlooked is Gross fouled out at the beginning of Doubke OT I think or around there and we didn't put in Kirkbride so our tallest guy was 6-4/5ish while they still had two guys 6'7 or taller. Somehow still got rebounds at the end to win it. Very fortunate that didn't kill them

Leave a comment:

• FlyHawk98
    replied

West Liberty switching to the 2-3 zone a few times throughout the game seemed to really mess with WJ as well.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Being I don't worship at the Church of Crutch ... a few observations:

* WL really adjusted well during the course of the game. Early on it appeared WJ was going to do whatever they wanted inside.
    * WL was extremely effective once it started driving the ball. They missed a lot of the layups but once WJ started collapsing they got many easy kickouts for treys.
    * WL dodged a bullet on that technical ... freshman-type mental lapse
    * If either WJ or Dennis could have hit free throws ... game never sees even a first OT
    * I thought Brady actually played a good game. He fouled out but I agree that charge was 'iffy' at best. He hit some big shots last night at clutch moments.
    * WL had WJ on the ropes pretty bad with about 12-13 minutes left but couldn't knock them out
    * WL was the better physically conditioned team -- and deeper.
    * As a 'neutral' observer ... it was hard not to feel bad for WJ at the foul line. Just awful. Hitting 50 percent on 30-some attempts ... didn't deserve to win.
    * Was surprised WJ didn't try to press more (did they at all?)
    * Monteroso and Moseh ... great match-up
    * WJ 7-26 (26%) on threes yet just kept chucking them
    * Round 2 will be a good one. Both could have won last night numerous times -- and both could have lost numerous times.
    * WL announcer butchering Highsmith's name all night ... fantastic.

Leave a comment:

• FlyHawk98
    replied

I thought the charge call on Arnold at the end of regulation was complete BS. Should have been a no call, but the guy was still moving and never got set. I thought it was a great look by Arnold to find an open Monteroso for the lay up, very unfortunate that they called a charge there.

I also think Arnold plays great defense for the most part. He is the type of guy who wears on your nerves throughout a game because he is ALWAYS up on you if you have the ball.

Leave a comment:

• IUP Extra Mile
    replied

Originally posted by DownLow55 View Post
    "Growing wearing" of a kid that gives his all. SMH. Maybe you need to watch the entire game and evaluate the stats a little closer. It's a team game and he's a HUGE part of this team. Love what he brings each and every night.
    I looked at the stats...and they aren't that bad, really. I guess in watching games, he gets GREAT looks (dennis setting him up, lots of defensive att'n on others-hoehn, monteroso), that I expect him to be more consistent..his stats from Field and 3 are inconsistent at best....So growing weary is wrong term, but expect him to make a big shot or shots more consistently, yes... He's a junior and I expect more...that's all...not hating, just saying.

Leave a comment:

• IUP Extra Mile
    replied

Is there money in the budget and a seamstress somewhere in the Wheeling area to fix Dennis's jersey around the shoulders so he won't have to mess with it the entire game?
    I love this! He is FOREVER tucking the tank part in or under his under shirt...not exactly sure what he does...but it's annoying... Nice sarcasm....Laughed out loud.

Leave a comment:

• DownLow55
    replied

Originally posted by IUP Extra Mile View Post
    Watched the last 4 min of regulation and both OT's...even in that short time, there were many ebbs and flows...WJ was 54% from the line...That was horrid...WL was 74%...big difference. Grossenbacher's 3 in 1st ot, was huge to tie it...

Monteroso is a stud...Like what Griffin is giving them. Clay plays with an edge. Hoehn had big hoops...I still want Dennis to finish and get to the rack...but he's great....And I'm growing weary of Brady Arnold...look at his stats...he takes good shots, but shoots a poor percentage. he is almost always shooting under 50, 45 %. Could have won that game last night in regulation..open 3 from corner and then charges... BUt he hustles and contributes in other ways...

Smith only 3 mins? weird...maybe a match up thing..

Hilltoppers beware: Upset alert for tomorrow. (I hope I'm not as accurate as I was in predicting the final score of WJ game!) Seems as though WL never plays their best game at ND OH. Weird gym, fans on top of you, they escaped last year with a lucky win...could be the proverbial trap game...
    "Growing wearing" of a kid that gives his all. SMH. Maybe you need to watch the entire game and evaluate the stats a little closer. It's a team game and he's a HUGE part of this team. Love what he brings each and every night.

Leave a comment:

• Sportsnut
    replied

Is there money in the budget and a seamstress somewhere in the Wheeling area to fix Dennis's jersey around the shoulders so he won't have to mess with it the entire game?

Leave a comment:

• Layton
    replied

Meini didn't play either but was dressed I think smith is still burdened by his injury when he was in he looked really slow defending we are definitely missing depth

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X