• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Columbuseer
    replied
    A Dummy's Observations on WLU at WVSU 2/1/23 WLU 102 – WVSU 97
    WVSU Strategy
    • WVSU has recruited far and wide to find tall, long, fast players, who are great 3 pt shooters and excellent 1 on 1 players. As a result, they can be a very dangerous team.
    • Play man to man defense
    • Minimize Turnovers
    • Be aggressive in attacking the rim on 3 on 2 breaks against the press. Keep spread out to prevent set up of trap on second pass. Try to get behind the defense for long pass against the press.
    • Against the press, focus on intermediate to long passes against the press
    • When players close out on the wing to contest the 3 pt WLU shot, they are to sprint out toward their goal, so that WVSU can throw over the press in transition for the open layup
    • Exploit WLU on switches, where smaller defenders are guarding their taller players
    WVSU had some success in implementing their strategy
    • At the beginning of the game, WVSU was sprinting down the court in transition, getting open looks. They were sagging in the middle to stop Bryc and others, but their length still allowed them to run out to contest the shot from the wing or corner. Few WLU had that critical 6 pt spacing between opponent and shooter that is important for high % shooting.
    • However, after the first 7 to 10 minutes, WLU was intercepting their intermediate passes against the press. For the game, as a free safety, Cannady had 5 steals .
    • For the half, they committed 12 turnovers, of which 8 were steals.
    • As the half wore on, fatigue was causing WVSU to be much slower on the close outs.
    WLU Observations
    • For the game the WLU team shot an effective FG% to 62% to 58% for WVSU (who made many layups).
    • A key factor was hitting 21 of 28 free throws, and 11 of 12 in the last 6 minutes when we could not buy a field goal.
    • Good defense. WLU forced 20 turnovers, while only committing 8.
    • Running the WVSU team by the 1st and 2nd platoons had a cumulative effect of tiring them, leading to unforced turnovers.
    Areas for Improvement
    • A fundamental aspect of defense is to always be able to peripherally see both the ball and your opponent at all times. Some WLU players lose that defensive positional angle, which opened them up for back door cuts.
    • Similarly, at the back of the press, WLU naturally will cheat up toward the half line. However, against WVSU, WLU cannot afford to be even one step behind the opponent, as they are just too fast, and WVSU is willing to throw an accurate long pass unless it is a very tight window.
    • Some players are galloping, but not sprinting back on defense when the press is broken and there is a 3 on 2 situation. You cannot do this against WVSU. They are too fast. Many times, there is time to cover the open opponent before the pass is made for an open shot or layup. if they would sprint back. It is obvious on the film.
    • Some players need work on their running form. Some are leaning forward with their arms pumping too far ahead of their body. If they have the track coach just work on body lean and arm movement, they could probably add 6 ft to their distance covered on a 70 ft sprint in the press. Against WVSU, this could be an important factor.

Leave a comment:

• Scrub
    replied
    Well, that was a forgettable first half. That first half might have been the worst I've seen WLU play. Glad they figured it out in the locker room at halftime and got out of there with a win.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied
    FYI NCAA stats west liberty as of Feb 5 2023 after UC Game

Improving in FT%.
    Improving in turnovers per game, which is amazing given the pace of play and additional possessions.
    Decline in rebound margin as taller, longer teams have focused more on rebounding as part of their strategy.

1st- 3pt attempts per game 33.8 Nova SE is #37 at 25.9
    1st- Assist to turnover ratio 1.92 Nova SE is #4 at 1.73

1st- 3pt made per game 12.9 Nova SE #15 at 10.6

2nd - assists per game 23.0 nova se is #1 at 23.1
    2nd- scoring 99.8 Nova SE is #1 at 106.7

3rd -Turnover margin 7.5 Nova se is #1 at 10.7
    3rd- Forced turnovers 19.5 Nova se is #1 at 24.05
    5th - Steals per game 10.6 Nova se is #1 at 12.7
    5th - Scoring margin 18 Nova se is #1 at 29

22nd - FG % 49.23 Nova SE #2 at 52.49%

33rd - 3 pt % 38.22 Nova SE #5 at 41.07%

34th - Offensive rebounds per game 12.32 Nova SE #3 at 14.81
    53rd – Turnovers per Game 12.2
    117th - FT % 72.58
    165th- Rebound margin 0

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied
    Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
    Frostburg at home 88 -83 over Glenville. Gsu Down 84-83 , gsu fouls on rebound. Gsu coach comes onto floor and does lame bo Jackson impression by breaking clipboard over his knee. Two shot technical plus 2 fts gives Frostburg 88-83 lead with 9 secs left, ceding game to frostburg.. Which gsu team shows up on wed to play wlu?
    Like WVSU, Glenville is another one of those MEC teams that you look at their roster and how they play sometimes, and you scratch your head. When they are on, they can beat anyone...but when they aren't on, they lose to the likes of Frostburg and AB. Another MEC team you wouldn't want to meet in a tourney (MEC or NCAA). My hope is that WVSU and Glenville are on the other side of the MEC tourney bracket!!!

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied
    Frostburg at home 88 -83 over Glenville. Gsu Down 84-83 , gsu fouls on rebound. Gsu coach comes onto floor and does lame bo Jackson impression by breaking clipboard over his knee. Two shot technical plus 2 fts gives Frostburg 88-83 lead with 9 secs left, ceding game to frostburg.. Which gsu team shows up on wed to play wlu?

Leave a comment:

• Scrub
    replied
    final wlu 94 uc 77
    The women pulled the upset as well. WLU was down 18 at one point in the 2nd quarter and beat Charleston in OT. Nice win for the ladies!

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied
    final wlu 94 uc 77

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Wlu 44 uc 24 end of 1st half
    They are just in their head. Charleston shouldn't crap their pants like this every time they see WL. But, they do.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied
    Wlu 44 uc 24 end of 1st half

Leave a comment:

• Scrub
    replied
    Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

As we learned in the first round of the NCAA tourney, WVSU is not a team you want to draw in a one-and-done tourney.
    Nobody wants to see them sitting on that #7 or #8 line in tournament play. If they do get in, they'll be a potential giant-killer sitting with an unassumingly low seed.

Leave a comment:

• Scrub
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Is WVSU healthy? That losing streak is awfully odd.
    Full roster throughout the streak as far as I can tell. Puzzling to be sure.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

This is a team that until 2 weeks ago was 15-1. While any 6 game losing streak is bad, I would note that during the streek they lost to Fairmont in OT, UC by 3 and WLU by 5. I guess any losing team could say this but a couple of bounces either way and they could own three W's over the top three teams in the conference.

As we learned in the first round of the NCAA tourney, WVSU is not a team you want to draw in a one-and-done tourney.
    Is WVSU healthy? That losing streak is awfully odd.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrub View Post

For sure.

But I just don't know what I saw from them on Wednesday. WLU was good enough on Wednesday to get the win, but I wouldn't say WLU clicked on all cylinders Wednesday. And if WVSU can't get themselves focused for 40 minutes when WLU is in the building, when will they decide to focus? When they spazzed out and became a turnover factory in the middle portion of that game, it just wasn't what you normally see from a team of that caliber. Hard to figure. If you're an MEC team and can't get up for WLU's visit, when can you?
    This is a team that until 2 weeks ago was 15-1. While any 6 game losing streak is bad, I would note that during the streek they lost to Fairmont in OT, UC by 3 and WLU by 5. I guess any losing team could say this but a couple of bounces either way and they could own three W's over the top three teams in the conference.

Leave a comment:

• Scrub
    replied

Well, there is always the MEC Tourney. They can play their way in. Not perdicting they will, but they certainly have the skill set to do it.
    For sure.

But I just don't know what I saw from them on Wednesday. WLU was good enough on Wednesday to get the win, but I wouldn't say WLU clicked on all cylinders Wednesday. And if WVSU can't get themselves focused for 40 minutes when WLU is in the building, when will they decide to focus? When they spazzed out and became a turnover factory in the middle portion of that game, it just wasn't what you normally see from a team of that caliber. Hard to figure. If you're an MEC team and can't get up for WLU's visit, when can you?

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

They did that at the KCAC in their Rd 2 loss to Cal last year. They could have put that game away 7 different times but didn't. Cal eventually beat them.

They lose much more and you won't have to worry about seeing them again in the NCAAs.
    Well, there is always the MEC Tourney. They can play their way in. Not perdicting they will, but they certainly have the skill set to do it.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X