X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scrub
    replied
    Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post
    West Liberty shot only 36% to Fairmont’s 53%. That a pretty wide margin. Sometimes it’s just the building and once things start slipping away it can totally get away from a team when confidence is lost. The margin of victory is a bit surprising, but I’d just chalk it up to a bad day at the office and that’s going to happen on occasion.
    Yes, that shooting percentage is pretty ugly. And FSU's was over 60% in the second half (including over 60% from behind the arc). It seems like it was one of those perfect storm kinda nights at Retton. Unfortunately, those seem to happen a lot in that building.

I have a feeling Alderson Broaddus won't know what hit them on Wednesday. They are going to run into a motivated WLU team, I suspect.

I was worried about the sloppiness of the Frostburg game creating a kind of hangover in Fairmont today. In fact, I think I told another poster in a PM that I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to drop one today at Retton. I just didn't think it would be a behind-the-woodshed kind of L.

Tough day. Gotta learn from it.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Layton View Post
    Yikes looks like Howlett had his eyes set on the WVU assistant job this week
    Reality is it's a matter of time. He's young and people notice. I'd love to see him at a Duquesne type just to see what happens. I didn't think you'd still have him this year (let alone next year). Although I do have serious doubts if the WL style would work in (major) D1.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    West Liberty shot only 36% to Fairmont’s 53%. That a pretty wide margin. Sometimes it’s just the building and once things start slipping away it can totally get away from a team when confidence is lost. The margin of victory is a bit surprising, but I’d just chalk it up to a bad day at the office and that’s going to happen on occasion.

Leave a comment:

• Scrub
    replied
    Wow.

I was unable to watch this one because I had to attend a program for my kid. When the program ended and I checked the score . . . just wow. WLU hasn't been that uncompetitive since NWMSU.

I'm gonna need someone who watched that game to explain to me how that final score happened. I know WLU never plays well in Retton, and I know FSU doesn't fear WLU one iota. But I can't fathom getting their behinds handed to them like that.

I eagerly await your analysis, Columbuseer.

Hats off to Fairmont. Big win for those guys that should give a nice boost to their regional profile.

(And thank God for my kid's extracurriculars. He might have saved my blood pressure by drawing me away from watching that debacle.)

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Layton View Post
    Odd

Leave a comment:

• Layton
    replied

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

That's not where I was going with that but nice try!
    In the words of Buckaroo Banzai - No mater where you go, there you are!

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

Stats and where you rank in particular categories compared to other DII teams are MUCH more important than your W/L record. Hahahahaha!!!!!
    That's not where I was going with that but nice try!

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

If you knew basketball then you'd understand that most of those stats are meaningless. That's a lot of work for meaningless stats.
    Stats and where you rank in particular categories compared to other DII teams are MUCH more important than your W/L record. Hahahahaha!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Layton
    replied
    Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post

11-17-2018. WLU 158. Glenville 106, WLU had 87 in 1st half.
    Dang I was in school during that time but don’t recall it

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied
    FYI
    Amazing turnaround improvement in 3 pt shooting season avg. for West Lib.
    They have 5 guys shooting an elite 40% or greater.
    Another guy nearing elite level at 39%.
    Another guy rose from under 15% early in season to over 34%.

Two our of best shooters would rank in top 10 nationally at approx 50% , if they had enough attempts.
    However, the ncaa stats require an average of at least approx. 5 attempts a game. Consequently, the stat favors teams with 1 or 2 designated 3pt shooters. I understand the need for a threshold. Unfortunately, the stat does not account for teams where there are balanced 3 pt attempts among multiple players, like at WLU. So there are many elite three point shooters that don't show up in the stat.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied
    Back due to critical acclaim LOL

FYI ncaa stats west liberty as of Jan 11 2023 after Frostburg

Improving in FG %, and 3PT shooting % and 3pt made per game.

Improved offensive Rebounding

1st- 3pt attempts per game 33.1
    1st- Assist to turnover ratio 1.87 Nova SE is 2nd at 1.73

1st- 3pt made per game 12.5

2nd - assists per game 22.7 nova se first at 24.2
    2nd- scoring 101.2 Nova se is first at 107.1

4th -Turnover margin 7.6 Nova se is 1st at 10.7
    4th- Forced turnovers 19.73 Nova se is #1 at 24.73
    5th - Steals per game 10.9 1st is Nova se is 12.9
    5th - Scoring margin 20 Nova se 1st at 30

20th - FG % 49.82
    29th - Offensive rebounds per game 13.13
    57th - 3 pt % 37.60
    93rd - FT % 73.05
    117th - Rebound margin 2
    Last edited by Columbuseer; 01-12-2023, 02:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrub View Post

Risking injury, yes. But I also think Frostburg's coach wanted a "moral victory" (if there is such a thing) of saying they hung triple digits on the #8 team in the land. He can go back to his locker room and build on that as they head into some more winnable games to come. So, yes, he was risking injury, but he was also trying to get some bankable motivation material for a currently struggling group.
    You may be right that he was trying to craft a false, yet plausible narrative. Maybe it was for boosters back home as much as locker room?
    Wlu had 101 points with 11:30 left. Had they kept their foot on the gas even with subs, they had a shot at 150 pts. Starters only played between 17 and 22 minutes.
    Frostburg tried to run with wlu with 7 players, while playing full bore playground. Recipe for disaster. Could have lost by > 50 points. Had the deep bench not acted like they had not played the game before, no way Frostburg hits 100.

Leave a comment:

• Scrub
    replied
    Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post

I was shocked that Frostburg was putting starters back in the game against our young players in last 6 mins and we are up by 40. Why risk injury and jeopardize season? Strange.
    Risking injury, yes. But I also think Frostburg's coach wanted a "moral victory" (if there is such a thing) of saying they hung triple digits on the #8 team in the land. He can go back to his locker room and build on that as they head into some more winnable games to come. So, yes, he was risking injury, but he was also trying to get some bankable motivation material for a currently struggling group.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I always have sympathy for the deep bench guys. It's tough to basically sit around for 2 hours and then at the flip of a switch be told you're going in. The warm-up was a long time ago by then. At least in football you can stay active on the sideline and somewhat stay warm. Basketball they are literally just sitting around.
    I generally agree with your comments. However, WLU is somewhat unique in that at least 10 guys get playing time starting at approx. 17:00 of first half, independent of score. Eight players average at least 16 minutes and 11 average ar least 9 mins. Imho, the wheels came off when Rasile subbed out at the 6 min mark, leaving only new guys on the floor. Due to unusual combo of players, I think a few guys were not in correct position against press. Also this was longest stretch of playing time for some folks and it exposed some areas for improvement.
    I was shocked that Frostburg was putting starters back in the game against our young players in last 6 mins and we are up by 40. Why risk injury and jeopardize season? Strange.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X