X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

In a nutshell, two things define the WLU style...Constant offensive and defensive pressure and trading 3's for 2's. If I had a dollar for every time a team "broke" WLU's press and scored a layup and WLU quickly inbounded and three quick passes later hit a pull-up 3, then applied pressure, stole the ball and pulled up for another 3, I'd have a nice piece of change in the bank! Can't remember the game but I recall seeing WLU's opponent break the press on three consecutive occasions and get lay-ups...and WLU ran the ball up and drained three consecutive 3's. It was like a 30 second span that saw WLU surge from a tie to a 3 point lead. WLU's opponent called a TO and they were GASSED but WLU's players were fresh and went on to extend the lead and coast to a 20 point W.
    What I've observed over the years is you simply cannot under any circumstances fall in to that WL pace. The teams that beat them slow the game way down. Why the Glenville State's of the world continually want to get in to a sprint with them is beyond mind boggling.

Far too many MEC teams tried to 'roster up' like West Liberty. That doesn't work. You aren't going to beat them playing their pace. I always thought Sancomb's teams were built more like upper-level PSAC teams as opposed to MEC teams.

You've seen Mercyhurst, Ship and IUP control the tempo of the game against them - and give the defense right back. You get in a track meet and goodnight. Break the press and hold the ball. Taking those easy layups is what they want you to do. Slow it to a PSAC pace and you can see if frustrates WL players. Add in a dominant big and that's the recipe. Granted, you need strong guards to pull this off. A typical PSAC team -- Clarion, Edinboro, etc., -- cannot.

It seems Charleston is going in that direction roster-wise.

But, it is funny year after year to watch several of those MEC teams want to outscore WL -- and lose by 45.

I'm interested to see what kind of roster Konig builds at Fairmont.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied
    In a nutshell, two things define the WLU style...Constant offensive and defensive pressure and trading 3's for 2's. If I had a dollar for every time a team "broke" WLU's press and scored a layup and WLU quickly inbounded and three quick passes later hit a pull-up 3, then applied pressure, stole the ball and pulled up for another 3, I'd have a nice piece of change in the bank! Can't remember the game but I recall seeing WLU's opponent break the press on three consecutive occasions and get lay-ups...and WLU ran the ball up and drained three consecutive 3's. It was like a 30 second span that saw WLU surge from a tie to a 3 point lead. WLU's opponent called a TO and they were GASSED but WLU's players were fresh and went on to extend the lead and coast to a 20 point W.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied

Beg to disagree a little. I know I'm preaching to the choir but WLU's style is not just running and chucking up 3's. Defensively it's about full court pressure to force turnovers and then getting the ball into the offensive end as quickly as possible. While some of the passes are lightning fast, there are typically 3-4 passes in the offensive end before a shot is taken...Those passes make take place in a 5 second period, but they are there. This "offensive pressure" contributes almost as much as the 'defensive pressure."

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied
    Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
    Glenville has tried to implement some wl concepts, with limited success. This has led to wl scoring 120+ and 150+ points in the last two games at the hilltop.
    Now i see that almost the whole roster from last year is gone. Would not seem to be the ideal way to teach a new system. Anyone know the details? Have they given up on Wl concepts?
    Beg to disagree a little. I know I'm preaching to the choir but WLU's style is not just running and chucking up 3's. Defensively it's about full court pressure to force turnovers and then getting the ball into the offensive end as quickly as possible. While some of the passes are lightning fast, there are typically 3-4 passes in the offensive end before a shot is taken...Those passes make take place in a 5 second period, but they are there. This "offensive pressure" contributes almost as much as the 'defensive pressure."

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Glenville has tried to implement some wl concepts, with limited success. This has led to wl scoring 120+ and 150+ points in the last two games at the hilltop.
    Now i see that almost the whole roster from last year is gone. Would not seem to be the ideal way to teach a new system. Anyone know the details? Have they given up on Wl concepts?
    Give up 150 in a game and even the President of the university should be fired. LOL.

That's beyond pathetic. It's hard to comprehend.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

Yep. Few would have guessed that Marlon was #1 on team with 21-41 for 51.2%. Will was 2nd with 63-125 for 50.4%. Marlon uses very good judgment when choosing to shoot the three. Also near perfect arc and rotation.
    As a team, when the Toppers shoot north of 40% from 3, they are hard to beat!

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied

50%+ from 3 point land...that's CRAZY!
    Yep. Few would have guessed that Marlon was #1 on team with 21-41 for 51.2%. Will was 2nd with 63-125 for 50.4%. Marlon uses very good judgment when choosing to shoot the three. Also near perfect arc and rotation.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

Will be interesting to see what they tweak.
    From watching highlights I see him as a bigger version of Marlon Moore, and probably playing a similar role. He is 6-7 and 205 so he has the frame to play an up-and-down game.He might not be as good a 3 point shooter as Marlon (over 50%) at this point in his career, but he could be lethal in the open court.
    50%+ from 3 point land...that's CRAZY!

I hope WLU doesn't use him as just a big outside shooter/slasher. He has the size to be so much more than "just" that. Imagine the current team with an inside game to compliment the through the roof outside shooting! Imagine him facing up at the elbow and hitting the jumper, driving down the lane or kicking out to one of WLU's many 3pt snipers!!

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied

I'm interested in Watson but from the prespective of how WLU uses him. He is a bit unique for a WLU player. Do they treat him as just another shooter who plays largly from the outside? Do they put him primarily in the low blocks and focus him on rebounds and put backs? If they do focus him down low, do they run any plays through him? this is kind of like having a commuter car your whole life then getting a truck...do you treat it like a less efficient commuter or do you figure out things to do with it that better meet what it is?
    Will be interesting to see what they tweak.
    From watching highlights I see him as a bigger version of Marlon Moore, and probably playing a similar role. He is 6-7 and 205 so he has the frame to play an up-and-down game.He might not be as good a 3 point shooter as Marlon (over 50%) at this point in his career, but he could be lethal in the open court.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

I am really interested to see how quickly Elijah Watson adapts to the WLU style.
    Watched his highlights. he appears to be the rim protector that WLU has been missing. But he is much more than that. He handles the ball like a shooting guard and can shoot the three as well as slash to the rim. Aggressive rebounder too. He played in the best league in Chicago last year. Great student too.

I could envision him getting some minutes this year.

Has anyone seen him play in open gym? Maybe WLU students can give us some insights.
    I'm interested in Watson but from the prespective of how WLU uses him. He is a bit unique for a WLU player. Do they treat him as just another shooter who plays largly from the outside? Do they put him primarily in the low blocks and focus him on rebounds and put backs? If they do focus him down low, do they run any plays through him? this is kind of like having a commuter car your whole life then getting a truck...do you treat it like a less efficient commuter or do you figure out things to do with it that better meet what it is?

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrub View Post
    Rosters posted today. Looks like everyone who was expected has, in fact, enrolled.

Elijah Watson will wear #4
    Luke Powell will wear #20
    Ben Sarson will wear #24
    Zach Rasile will wear #25
    I am really interested to see how quickly Elijah Watson adapts to the WLU style.
    Watched his highlights. he appears to be the rim protector that WLU has been missing. But he is much more than that. He handles the ball like a shooting guard and can shoot the three as well as slash to the rim. Aggressive rebounder too. He played in the best league in Chicago last year. Great student too.

I could envision him getting some minutes this year.

Has anyone seen him play in open gym? Maybe WLU students can give us some insights.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied
    Looks like earliest games will start will be Jan 1, 2021. I think practice can start 42 days before first game (whenever that is).
    Really excited about the shooting potential of this team.
    Returning are 4 players who shot over 44% from Three, with two of those 4 shooting over 50%. These players could also take the ball to the rim and shoot or dish.
    Add in Zach Rasile (#2 all time in Ohio career scoring with 3,013 points) and Luke Powell (#18 all time in Ohio career scoring) and there are even more weapons. From watching highlights of Zach, it appears that he may have Curry-like range and accuracy, which could really stretch defenses for Patrick, Malik, Will, etc.
    Luke Powell has the hops to elevate over defenders to shoot deep threes.

WLU might make a run as the #1 three point shooting % team in D2!

Leave a comment:

• CALUPA69
    replied
    Anyone know when official practice is going to begin for the Toppers? Also, any info on the 2020-21 schedule?
    Schedule will likely be in pencil.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied
    Anyone know when official practice is going to begin for the Toppers? Also, any info on the 2020-21 schedule?

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X