Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Columbuseer
    replied
    Intentional foul wlu. Wlu defender playing with back to the ball, instead of being in position to see both defender and ball. Basic individual defensive concept.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied
    Originally posted by Layton View Post
    One final clunker for the ladies to cap a forgettable season. Did not look very well coached tonight
    Broken record... defenders standing upright trying to guard a dribble drive. Middle school coaches teach to crouch in defensive stance. Basic Newtonian physics; lower center of gravity changes direction faster.
    Their shooting skills are offset by poor defensive fundamentals.

Leave a comment:

• Layton
    replied
    One final clunker for the ladies to cap a forgettable season. Did not look very well coached tonight

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied
    For those waiting on 6 pm Friday,
    one can watch St. Crutch in action below. They lead by 10 at half over Florida Tech. They are loaded with talent, share the ball and don't take heat check shots.

https://www.sunshinestateconference....playvid=539173

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied
    Been doing some ciphering on offensive rating, which is points per 100 possessions.
    Nova SE 125.7
    West Liberty 122.3
    Gonzaga (#1 D1) 121.2
    Sacramento Kings (#1 NBA) 118.8
    Boston Celtics 118.0
    Houston Cougars 118.0
    Pitt 111.4
    ​​​​​​WVU. 109.0

Not 100% certain Nova is #1. Maybe a team like nw mo. State might be higher.
    Last edited by Columbuseer; 03-02-2023, 03:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied
    WL always has had scorers at every position. However, the defensive skills of Cannady, Montague, and McKinney enabled WL to win games despite having terrible shooting nights as a team. Imho, anyone from the portal, whether guard or forward, has to be a proven shutdown defender as well as a scorer.

Leave a comment:

• Scrub
    replied
    Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post

Interesting...your thoughts about Turbo Smith?
    imho it is hard to predict if great players also have the motor and high pain tolerance to play the wlu style.
    Many have thought they could, but after open gym game, realized it was not a match.
    I'm not as high on Turbo. But I really admired Freddie's motor when we've seen him. The only knock on Freddie is that he's a bit foul-prone. But that said, he wouldn't have to play 38 minutes in WLU's system, so he might not have time to rack up as many fouls.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied
    Found out that if players with eligibility remaining were not sure about coming back then Coach encouraged them to walk on Senior Day..
    Podcast below has the quote (women's bball coach is 1st portion, followed by men's). Coach Howlett talks about NDC and Wheeling game.
    https://hilltoppersports.com/news/20...n-wrap-up.aspx

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrub View Post

I hear what you're saying. Guys like Jaedon Willis & Sam Rolle are really good at what they do, but what they do isn't what WLU asks its guards to do.

I'll tell you who might actually fit nicely (maybe a little prayer to the Portal gods) is second-team guard Freddie Word. He defends & rebounds very well as well as scoring the ball. I'd like to see what he could do in WLU system.
    Interesting...your thoughts about Turbo Smith?
    imho it is hard to predict if great players also have the motor and high pain tolerance to play the wlu style.
    Many have thought they could, but after open gym game, realized it was not a match.

Leave a comment:

• Scrub
    replied
    Bryce Butler repeats as MEC player of year.
    Montague and McKinney are 2nd team, but I would not trade them or Cannady for any guards on 1st team, due to their complete game of shooting, defense, passing, rebounding, assists and steals. They are perfect fits for the wlu style. However, the chosen 1st team guards are deserving of the honor, for they are also excellent players.

https://hilltoppersports.com/news/20...am-honors.aspx
    I hear what you're saying. Guys like Jaedon Willis & Sam Rolle are really good at what they do, but what they do isn't what WLU asks its guards to do.

I'll tell you who might actually fit nicely (maybe a little prayer to the Portal gods) is second-team guard Freddie Word. He defends & rebounds very well as well as scoring the ball. I'd like to see what he could do in WLU system.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied
    Bryce Butler repeats as MEC player of year.
    Montague and McKinney are 2nd team, but I would not trade them or Cannady for any guards on 1st team, due to their complete game of shooting, defense, passing, rebounding, assists and steals. They are perfect fits for the wlu style. However, the chosen 1st team guards are deserving of the honor, for they are also excellent players.

https://hilltoppersports.com/news/20...am-honors.aspx

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied

FYI

A Dummy's Observations on Wheeling at WLU 2/25/23 WLU 103 - Wheeling 91

Summary:

Despite their record (6-22), Wheeling (WU) is a dangerous team, for twelve of WU’s losses were by 5 points or less. They defeated WLU a month ago. In that game, WLU went away from their platoon system, which enabled WU to delay the onset of fatigue. WU is dangerous against the WLU style because their players are very efficient in an open-court, 1-on-1 game and they have good three-point shooters.

WU was effective in the first half, aided by WLU’s atrocious shooting, having an 8-point lead at 51-43. However, 90 seconds into the second half, WLU had tied the score. WLU got the lead for good at 13:49. However, the lead was only 2 points with 4:54 remaining. IMHO, this is when the cumulative effect of pressure was starting to result in misses and turnovers from cognitive fatigue for WU. The lead stretched to 8 points with 3 minutes left. With 1:30, the lead was 9, which essentially put the game out of reach.

WU had a very good game plan.

It is a testament to WLU’s defense and effort that they were able to miss as many open looks and layups and still win.

Tale of the Tape (Season)

WU WLU

Points 82 101.1

FT % 75% 74%

FG % 46% 49%

3FG% 34% 38%

Turnovers 15 12

Assists 12 23

Assist/TO ratio 0.8 1.9

WU Strategy

· Play tight defense

· Double team Butler in the post

· WLU has a tendency to drop their guards toward the foul line to get offensive rebounds. When the ball started to drop through the WLU net, WU’s guard would sprint (leak out) down the court to receive the inbounds pass for a layup.

· Shadow Rasile to deny him the ball.

· Keep WLU off the offensive glass and win the rebounding battle.

· As in the first game, WU has the scheme and players to be very effective against the WLU trapping defense.

o Get the ball in the middle of the backcourt to their faster players, such as Price or Korte, with a slower player defending them. They must dribble at full speed to distance themselves from the WLU pursuit and prevents the back-tap of the ball by WLU’s triumvirate of very fast guards.

o Place a player in the corner at the offensive end. When the dribbler approaches the top of the key, there is essentially a 2-on-1 break opportunity with the player in the corner. The dribbler drives the lane, drawing the single defender, while the corner player breaks to the basket, receiving a pass for a layup.

o If 2-on-1 break does not materialize, utilize the shot clock to slow the pace of the game, looking for an open three or drive to draw a foul.

o WU has several players who are very good in the open court and driving to the rim in Price, Korte and Johnson. Johnson is a matchup nightmare, a 6-7 sophomore who weighs at least 260 lbs., with point guard handles and an elite (40%) 3-pt shot. Reasbeck off the bench is a good (37%) extended range 3-point shooter when he has an open look, which can happen against the press.

· Shoot the 3 effectively.

· Avoid the WLU blackouts.

WU had good success in implementing their strategy, in part due to horrific WLU shooting

· First half Stats

o WU WLU

o Points 51 43

o FT % 100% 80%

o FG % 50% 37%

o 3FG% 50% 17%

o Turnovers 11 8

o Fast break points 9 7

o Points off turnovers 6 8

· WU outrebounded WLU in the first half.

· WU made Butler give the ball up in the first half, for when he started his post move on the defender, a double team from the forward would rapidly appear.

Keys to the WLU victory

· WLU put incredible pressure on WU. WLU forced 23 WU turnovers and 16 steals for the game, an incredible 70% live ball turnovers.

· Fatigue was having an effect on WU in the second half:

o WLU had 17 points off 12 WU turnovers compared to only 4 points for WU

o WU FT% declined to 61%

o 2nd chance points WLU 15 WU 4

· In the first half, WLU was getting open looks at the rim as well as from the 3-pt. line. They were defeating WU’s defense. To their credit, they stayed the course in the second half. With the shooters they have, it is rare for the shots not to start dropping. Even though WU shot much better than WLU, WLU got more attempts. WLU had a 20-point advantage in the second half.

· WLU continued to share the ball – 20 assists on 35 FGs for 57% and assist to turnover ratio of 1.42. WU had 15 assists on 23 turnovers and assist to turnover ratio of 0.65

· Second half Stats

o WU WLU

o Points 40 60

o FT % 61% 76%

o FG % 43% 42%

o 3FG% 56% 45%

o Turnovers 12 6

o Fast break points 8 10

o Points off turnovers 4 17

o Steals 3 9

· They made adjustments to reduce transition baskets by WU.

· Inexplicably, WU had Johnson, their 260 lb. 6-7 forward, bring the ball up the court. The resulting pressure and fatigue caused him to commit several turnovers handling the ball. WLU was sending a guard to strip the ball from him when he drove from the top of the key.

· They put Sampson, Sarson and West on their hot 3 pt. shooters (Price and Reasbeck)

· At the 5:20 mark of the second half, and the score 82-80, Korte collided with Malik in a scramble for a loose ball in transition, a situation that requires play to continue. WLU hit a three for 85-80 lead, with Korte still on the floor in the backcourt. He had to leave the floor and did not return until the 2:05 mark.

Areas for Improvement

· Some of our bigs have to give the ball up in transition to the guards, as they committed traveling or double dribble violations on a break. They need to know their current limitations and play to their strengths.

· Some of our bigs need to sprint to get in position in front of the man in transition, rather than running beside the opponent to time a shot block, for it typically results in a foul. They also need to break some bad habits and start playing lower in their defensive stance to enable them to change direction faster or jump higher. At this level, no one is intimidated by a tall guy towering above them, as they just drive around them or make contact to draw the foul.

· IMHO, WU was baiting WLU to attempt risky interior passes, then jumping the passing lane to intercept it. WLU has to be aware of this strategy, which other teams have also used with success.

Leave a comment:

• Scrub
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
    I'm pretty sure IUP is going to host.
    And if so, they've certainly earned it. No argument from down here.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    Impeccable, irrefutable logic. However, my understanding is that only in-region losses apply for regional seeding purposes. However, I am not sure about other factors, such as relative weights of bad losses versus strength of schedule.
    I would not complain if IUP still hosted. Great venue.

I know what you're saying BUT IUP would still have 1 less loss than WL and the Wheeling loss looks pretty bad in the metrics vs a possible loss to Call. I'm pretty sure IUP is going to host.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrub View Post

I personally think IUP is hosting regardless. At this point, they can only get one more loss (if that) prior to the tourney. I'd say we're heading to Indiana.
    We've seen some whacky stuff over the years so who knows. Historically, a lot of weight is given to conference tournament winners.

WL winning this week is certainly no lock. I'd assume they'll have to go through WVSU and Fairmont State (on neutral floors). IUP has to not only beat a hot Cal team tomorrow but then play in the East this weekend. If they both win out then yes it's going to be in Indiana for sure.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X