• Show
Clear All

• IUPalum
    replied
    Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post

He has my vote for poy.
    Every aspiring guard should emulate his play
    • no out of control drives to the rim that pick up charging fouls
    • When he gets inside and is faced with a difficult shot, he kicks out for an open three.
    • Totally unselfish. All he cares about is winning
    • Great defender
    • He keeps his prodigious skills under wraps until needed. displayed them in last 3 minutes when burning clock. Destroyed his opponent 1v1
    • Big factor in 1.23 ppp for nwmsu.
    You can say those things about quite a few players.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

You can't argue with the St. Crutch lovers!
    Having a week to prepare for Nova surely helped. I think those teams are the toughest when you only have a day to prep.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied
    Originally posted by NWHoops View Post

If it weren't for COVID in 2020 it's possible (likely?) he already has 3 straight national championships and is going for his fourth this week.
    He has my vote for poy.
    Every aspiring guard should emulate his play
    • no out of control drives to the rim that pick up charging fouls
    • When he gets inside and is faced with a difficult shot, he kicks out for an open three.
    • Totally unselfish. All he cares about is winning
    • Great defender
    • He keeps his prodigious skills under wraps until needed. displayed them in last 3 minutes when burning clock. Destroyed his opponent 1v1
    • Big factor in 1.23 ppp for nwmsu.

Leave a comment:

• NWHoops
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPHawks24 View Post

That anyone other than Hudgins at NW MO ST would win NPOY is a joke in its own right. He should have a shot for 3 straight national championships on Saturday. Kind of unfathomable when you think about it.
    If it weren't for COVID in 2020 it's possible (likely?) he already has 3 straight national championships and is going for his fourth this week.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    You can't argue with the St. Crutch lovers!

Leave a comment:

• IUPHawks24
    replied

Jeremiah moore of wvsu made Alston disappear, playing 1v1. Had no impact before wvsu ran out of gas.

Have watched multiple games of Nova se. I suspect SIDs judged the whole body of work and it was awarded before this game. Their loss today was a team effort of bad shooting and shot selection. His conference is much better competition than any conference in atlantic region. Respect your opinion, but SIDs don't concur. I think Hudgens might win nabc player of year.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Jeremiah moore of wvsu made Alston disappear, playing 1v1. Had no impact before wvsu ran out of gas.

Have watched multiple games of Nova se. I suspect SIDs judged the whole body of work and it was awarded before this game. Their loss today was a team effort of bad shooting and shot selection. His conference is much better competition than any conference in atlantic region. Respect your opinion, but SIDs don't concur. I think Hudgens might win nabc player of year.

Most years, perhaps. But, not this year. The Atlantic Region was loaded this year.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrub View Post

It's a good point about rebounding. A lot of people think the "Crutch system" (whether it's at Nova or WLU) is built entirely on shooting. Yes, good shooters are key to making the system work. But crashing the glass hard is also a prerequisite for making the system work. I haven't done the deep dive into the stats, but I would guess that being outrebounded (or being "soft on the glass" if that's your preferred way of seeing it) is as much responsible for losses in this system as anything else. It was clear that WVSU owned the glass (again, going by recollection not looking at box scores) in the WLU regional loss. The couple of times WLU managed to win despite a bad shooting performance (Daemen, Charleston & Wheeling in the MEC tourney, etc.) it was because they were more aggressive in the paint. So, you're absolutely right that keeping a team like Nova off the glass is as key to beating them as is defending the 3 point line.
    Black Hills won the glass, 55-35. That's a crushing. No other way to say it.

And, that includes the one possession that Nova got 5 offensive rebounds and missed all the shots.

A physical Atlantic Region team would have pushed them around all day.

Leave a comment:

• Scrub
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Nova 'shot bad' but they were crushed near the glass. They looked very soft.
    It's a good point about rebounding. A lot of people think the "Crutch system" (whether it's at Nova or WLU) is built entirely on shooting. Yes, good shooters are key to making the system work. But crashing the glass hard is also a prerequisite for making the system work. I haven't done the deep dive into the stats, but I would guess that being outrebounded (or being "soft on the glass" if that's your preferred way of seeing it) is as much responsible for losses in this system as anything else. It was clear that WVSU owned the glass (again, going by recollection not looking at box scores) in the WLU regional loss. The couple of times WLU managed to win despite a bad shooting performance (Daemen, Charleston & Wheeling in the MEC tourney, etc.) it was because they were more aggressive in the paint. So, you're absolutely right that keeping a team like Nova off the glass is as key to beating them as is defending the 3 point line.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Nova 'shot bad' but they were crushed near the glass. They looked very soft.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied

Leave a comment:

• IUPHawks24
    replied

I agree. I did not know that he was not crowned POY. In an earlier post, when I said Alston reminded me somewhat of Sylla, a poster responded saying Alston was a much better player than Sylla.
    Good to hear that opinion was not shared by the rest of the PSAC, because I certainly did not see him as better than Sylla.

Leave a comment:

• Layton
    replied
    Robinson to College of Charleston, starting a pipeline

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

I agree. I did not know that he was not crowned POY. In an earlier post, when I said Alston reminded me somewhat of Sylla, a poster responded saying Alston was a much better player than Sylla.
    Good to hear that opinion was not shared by the rest of the PSAC, because I certainly did not see him as better than Sylla.
    Armoni Foster was voted PSAC West POY.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Alston didn't win PSAC West Player of the Year. If you don't do that, you aren't likely winning National POY.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X