• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• boatcapt
    replied
    Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
    I agree. On a positive note, many guys developed into complete players. For example, When Seger arrived he was primarily a 3 pt shooter . By his junior year he had a post game with his back to the basket and improved in other areas too. Now in 3rd year of European ball and doing well.
    As u said, it is whether you want to put in the work until u earn your way to more playing time.
    I agree that players often grow into more playing time by putting in the work. Buuuuuttttttt...Those are primarily HS recruits that have 4 to 5 years to "grow." When a JUCO like Watson comes in, you're looking at a much compressed period of "growing" that should be necessary. Just the nature of the beast...With a JUCO most teams are looking for a turn key player because they don't have much college eligibility left. I would say by the middle of this season he needs to be almost fully on board with the WLU system and style or he will run the risk of being shown the door at the end of the year. Much rather expend minutes on a Freshman or Sophomore that will have more time being successful after they get it than a JUCO who will be gone after next season.

Watson is a gifted basketball player so what WLU is expecting from him should not be foreign concepts. He's been through camp so he should be in good enough shape...the defensive press concepts WLU runs are not unique in basketball so he should have some sort of foundation in them...in the offensive end, don't take the shot unless you are completely open...maintain your spacing...ALWAYS be prepared to receive a pass AND always be prepared to pass the ball...NEVER take "heat check" shots...and NEVER, NEVER, NEVER stop to admire your shot (i.e. Get back on defense ALL the time!!)!!
    Last edited by boatcapt; 11-21-2018, 11:55 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
    Once you have the basic skill set, WLU's "style" is not that complex or difficult. Unfortunately, a lot of players just don't want to play the high intensity, constant pressure, unselfish game that is necessary at WLU...getting into condition is hard...playing defense is hard and unrewarding (at least if you live measure your worth by the point line like MANY players now days do)...being unselfish and passing is unrewarding (and again, doesn't add to the players personal stat sheet). Watson has all the necessary basketball skills to succeed at WLU...the rest is weather he wants to succeed at WLU. Over the years, WLU has had a number of highly skilled players that just didn't want to do what it took to be successful at WLU.
    I agree. On a positive note, many guys developed into complete players. For example, When Seger arrived he was primarily a 3 pt shooter . By his junior year he had a post game with his back to the basket and improved in other areas too. Now in 3rd year of European ball and doing well.
    As u said, it is whether you want to put in the work until u earn your way to more playing time.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied

Originally posted by Dirtybird View Post
    With Dyer, Hill, and Boswell on board next year, I look for Conley to be redshirted. That way he can learn system, mature and put on a little weight and strength. You will also have Saben at guard as well.
    I think hazelbaker will also likely redshirt.
    Look out for Alessandro next year after a redshirt year. Much like yoakum. Understands the game.

Leave a comment:

• Dirtybird
    replied

With Dyer, Hill, and Boswell on board next year, I look for Conley to be redshirted. That way he can learn system, mature and put on a little weight and strength. You will also have Saben at guard as well.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

I am a big fan of Watson and want him to succeed.
    It is very rare for a first year player to fit into the WL system.
    I agree that he has the quickness and strength to improve on the rest of his game and become a complete player. Improving in these areas has to become an obsession with him.
    The good news for him is that he has the gift that is very hard to teach - to be able to create and make your own shot when needed. Folks either have it or they don't.
    I think of Earl the Pearl Monroe or George Ice Man Gervin (of course at a another level of skill)

In comparison, the other stuff to learn is relatively easy in my opinion. Once he improves and adapts to WL stye of intense defense and unselfish play, Europe will coming knocking at his door after his senior year.
    Once you have the basic skill set, WLU's "style" is not that complex or difficult. Unfortunately, a lot of players just don't want to play the high intensity, constant pressure, unselfish game that is necessary at WLU...getting into condition is hard...playing defense is hard and unrewarding (at least if you live measure your worth by the point line like MANY players now days do)...being unselfish and passing is unrewarding (and again, doesn't add to the players personal stat sheet). Watson has all the necessary basketball skills to succeed at WLU...the rest is weather he wants to succeed at WLU. Over the years, WLU has had a number of highly skilled players that just didn't want to do what it took to be successful at WLU.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied

Originally posted by Layton View Post
    I have seen Hazelbaker and Conley play. In a central Ohio all star game in March, I thought Hazelbaker was the most complete big man on the floor, better than some D1 recruits. Very high motor, very strong physically and runs well. Not afraid to mix it up inside. Not a frail, skinny guy; built kind of like a tight end. He was unselfish and actually tried to play team ball. 4.3 GPA as a Jr and high SAT score. Very, very intelligent defender who watches a lot of film on opponent's plays.

Evan Conley is a true point guard - great 3 pt stroke; Totally unselfish and high basketball IQ. does not make many turnovers. Will need to get stronger, somewhat like Yoakum did last year. Was not intimidated in all star game against central Ohio's best.

Watched some highlights of Butler and was very impressed. Plays on team with a D1 recruit.
    Very complete player.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied

He has the skills...he just has to have the willingness to adapt. Doesn't seem like he "get's it" just yet and that is a shame because he would increase his market value considerably by showing he is coachable and can adapt to various styles while continuing to play at a high level. Got to be more than a one trick pony if you want coaches in Europe to take a second look!!
    I am a big fan of Watson and want him to succeed.
    It is very rare for a first year player to fit into the WL system.
    I agree that he has the quickness and strength to improve on the rest of his game and become a complete player. Improving in these areas has to become an obsession with him.
    The good news for him is that he has the gift that is very hard to teach - to be able to create and make your own shot when needed. Folks either have it or they don't.
    I think of Earl the Pearl Monroe or George Ice Man Gervin (of course at a another level of skill)

In comparison, the other stuff to learn is relatively easy in my opinion. Once he improves and adapts to WL stye of intense defense and unselfish play, Europe will coming knocking at his door after his senior year.

Leave a comment:

• Layton
    replied

Three fall signings

https://twitter.com/mlamberti24/stat...252428288?s=21
    Last edited by Layton; 11-20-2018, 05:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Layton
    replied

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

Hill and yoakum are much more complete players at this time and have earned 1st platoon. Hill has yet to commit a turnover and yoakum is also a great offensive force who is growing in confidence. Both were effective against the zone.
    Imho If Watson wants to play overseas he needs to want to become a complete player he needs to emulate the play of those ahead of him.
    He has the skills...he just has to have the willingness to adapt. Doesn't seem like he "get's it" just yet and that is a shame because he would increase his market value considerably by showing he is coachable and can adapt to various styles while continuing to play at a high level. Got to be more than a one trick pony if you want coaches in Europe to take a second look!!

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied

Hill and yoakum are much more complete players at this time and have earned 1st platoon. Hill has yet to commit a turnover and yoakum is also a great offensive force who is growing in confidence. Both were effective against the zone. I could see yoakum or hill going for 30 in a game in the future.

Imho If Watson wants to play overseas he needs to want to become a complete player he needs to emulate the play of those ahead of him.
    Last edited by Columbuseer; 11-20-2018, 03:49 PM.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

We'll see, but it seems pretty clear that something just isn't clicking about how to play WLU basketball. Ben calling out a player in the post game presser I think shows the level of frustration he has with Watson (yea, I know he didn't actually use his name, but EVERYONE knew who he was talking about!). Then you add the complete game benching of Watson the following game and it seems clearer. Perhaps the last game benching was just because Ben "shortened the bench" but I note that he started and played extensively a true freshman and a redshirt freshman while not playing a transfer junior who was a JUCO All American...seems a little odd.

Joe always says it takes those JUCO guys at least half the season to get used to the structure of D2 basketball. There's probably a lot of truth in it. Most JUCO squads are glorified playground teams ... similar to AAU basketball. The post players typically adapt faster.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

I was there. Wvw has a good zone defense. Some of the guys were having trouble penetrating the zone by getting the ball to the high post so wlu had to go with only their experienced people in addition to 1st platoon. Hence the short bench.

Watson needs to work on all phases of defense and passing. Imho Even basic defensive movement - shocking that no one had taught him that.
    against Glenville He made some good assists but also did a couple of bad heat check shots.
    At one point Denville double teamed him!

Sky is the limit for him. Just give him time. I don't think he is a "teddy buckets" from wvu type of player.
    We'll see, but it seems pretty clear that something just isn't clicking about how to play WLU basketball. Ben calling out a player in the post game presser I think shows the level of frustration he has with Watson (yea, I know he didn't actually use his name, but EVERYONE knew who he was talking about!). Then you add the complete game benching of Watson the following game and it seems clearer. Perhaps the last game benching was just because Ben "shortened the bench" but I note that he started and played extensively a true freshman and a redshirt freshman while not playing a transfer junior who was a JUCO All American...seems a little odd.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied

I know the sports information department were very high on him at first because he was originally one of three potential all star candidates in the media guide but they later had me swap him for Eric which was obviously a smart choice. Bolon and Brady were the other two.

Should never give pub to anyone who is unproven in wlu system. Could affect morale of team too.

would not read too much into him not playing.

I was there at the game.

Wvw has a good zone defense. Some of the guys were having trouble penetrating the zone by getting the ball to the high post so wlu had to go with only their experienced people in addition to 1st platoon. Hence the short bench.

Watson needs to work on all phases of defense and passing. Imho Even basic defensive movement - shocking that no one had taught him that.
    against Glenville He made some good assists but also did a couple of bad heat check shots.
    At one point glenville double teamed him!

Sky is the limit for him. Just give him time. I don't think he is a "teddy buckets" from wvu type of player.
    Last edited by Columbuseer; 11-20-2018, 03:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

I know the sports information department were very high on him at first because he was originally one of three potential all star candidates in the media guide but they later had me swap him for Eric which was obviously a smart choice. Bolon and Brady were the other two.
    Can only assume why they took him off the cover but given his "performance" after sitting out the entire first half and half of the second before getting in and THEN his non-WLU like performance which seems to have been the reason for his subsequent benching in the last game, I think it is a pretty good bet that he's a bit selfish and all about him rather than the team. If he hasn't figured it out by now, I don't think he will and perhaps it's best to ask him to leave the team.
    Last edited by boatcapt; 11-20-2018, 03:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X