X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Calu wbb 2017-18

Originally posted by Feedoggie View Post
    Major Bummer
    She had her knee drained this week (news via twitter) but no mention of crutches. So most likely she'll give it a try, but I'm not sure how much she can play given the nature of her game. Really at a loss to guess who COACH JESS will be playing with only 1 true freshman on the roster (TAYLIN TYLER is gone). My guess is BAILEY COOPER, EMILY SUCKLING and 1 of the transfers, MIA CUSHON, will team up with SHATARA and SEAIRRA in the starting 5 if ABBEY isn't ready. Playing WLU has become a tradition and they've been a very worthy opponent though they were way off their game last year. Cannot wait to get this started.

Comment

This may well be JESS STROM'S most challenging season since she took over mid-season in 10-11. She was looking at an uphill battle after losing MIKI, LANA and PRECIOUS, but at least she had 3 starters back to go with some experienced bench players and several decent sounding transfers. So against rival WLU, coming off a bad season but always dangerous, her starting lineup is PARSONS-SR, CUSHON-JR/TR, HAHN-SO, CASALS-SO/RS, FLOOD-FRANCIS- JR/TR with only 2 SOPH and 1FR on the bench !!!! 8 players out of 14 on the roster most notably NO SEAIRRA BARRETT or ABBEY SPORIO. We know what the issue is with AS, but have no idea where our single best player and 4 year veteran is ??? Going up against NDC today which I would have said was a given W, but all bets are off until we see how this all shakes out.
      On the plus side, MIA CUSHON, DII JC TOP SCORER last year, seems to be the real deal and a fine addition if the other stuff can be worked out. Time will tell.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
        This may well be JESS STROM'S most challenging season since she took over mid-season in 10-11. She was looking at an uphill battle after losing MIKI, LANA and PRECIOUS, but at least she had 3 starters back to go with some experienced bench players and several decent sounding transfers. So against rival WLU, coming off a bad season but always dangerous, her starting lineup is PARSONS-SR, CUSHON-JR/TR, HAHN-SO, CASALS-SO/RS, FLOOD-FRANCIS- JR/TR with only 2 SOPH and 1FR on the bench !!!! 8 players out of 14 on the roster most notably NO SEAIRRA BARRETT or ABBEY SPORIO. We know what the issue is with AS, but have no idea where our single best player and 4 year veteran is ??? Going up against NDC today which I would have said was a given W, but all bets are off until we see how this all shakes out.
        On the plus side, MIA CUSHON, DII JC TOP SCORER last year, seems to be the real deal and a fine addition if the other stuff can be worked out. Time will tell.

I agree with everything you've said. What looked like a promising upcoming season is now just a big question mark.
        With no Barrette/Persons duo, who together could have hung with ANYONE, poor Jess has to piece together what remains. It DOES sound like Cushon is a quality addition, however. Not knowing if Barrett can return is a real worry for me...as I don't know WHY she is not playing! Not knowing is agonizing!!

Comment

Barrett didn't play the first game of the season last year either.hopefully it's just something minor.

Comment

Originally posted by Mjtheman View Post
            Barrett didn't play the first game of the season last year either.hopefully it's just something minor.
            Last year it was a VB game....not this year. She rarely tweets so even that avenue is closed. Really glad the coming events calendar indicates there will be video at 4 on Sunday. It will help to see who is on the bench.

Comment

Stat oddities from the WLU game...
              Why is DJ HAHN putting up 5-3s and missing them all ? She is NOT a shooter.
              As aggressive as the VULCANS are on D, why do they get 23 FTA to 9 for WLU ?
              Can we please give MIKI G something, anything, to come back and school these players on FT shooting. Actually just CASALS and JASPER whose combined 7 misses made this game closer than it should have been.

Comment

In the interest of keeping fans up to date @CalUofPAWBB just announced via twitter that SHAUNA HARRISON @shbrha is an early commit to play for the VULCANS starting in the fall of 2018. She is 5'11" and has played significant time for the UK U18 team helping them to a 4th place finish out of 23 teams. Video of her play is available at her twitter address.
                Now if we could learn more about SEAIRRA BARRETT, all would be well...
                Last edited by CALUPA69; 11-13-2017, 03:52 PM. Reason: New Info

Comment

Cal and Rock each went 2-0 down in WV. Impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                    Cal and Rock each went 2-0 down in WV. Impressive.
                    SHATARA PARSONS stepped up big time in both games 28 vs WLU and 32 vs NDC. Biggest change in her game is her FT shooting. Career .482 these two games (small sample) .750.
                    Actually bigger news is the play of JC transfer MIA CUSHON. DUB-DUB in both games averaging 16.5 PPG and 13.5 RPG. Not bad moving to a new system, but time will tell how real it all is. Without SEAIRRA BARRETT , VULCAN WBB is not nearly what it could be. As indicated above no one is saying what's going on.

Comment

Sorry. I was talking about the men.

I didn't read the thread title ... thought this was a general Cal board.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                        Sorry. I was talking about the men.

I didn't read the thread title ... thought this was a general Cal board.
                        Just posted that on another thread. For reasons of the disparity of success with these two programs in the past, they generally are not spoken of in the same breath. However that may be changing. We'll see.

Comment

Barrett had shoulder surgery and is expected to miss the beginning of the season. How much of the season depends on recovery.

Comment

Barrett had shoulder surgery and is expected to miss the beginning of the season. How much of the season depends on recovery.
                            Though it's bad news, thanks for the update. At least she has a chance to finish her senior year unlike MIKI who got injured at the worst possible time. I wonder if they're considering redshirting her. If anyone knows the rules regarding medical redshirt, please speak up.

Comment

http://triblive.com/sports/college/d...ight-it-out-in

From the article it seems like she will back soon.

Comment

http://triblive.com/sports/college/d...ight-it-out-in

From the article it seems like she will back soon.
                                It's hard to tell how well a player will get on with an injury. If you remember KAYLA SMITH played most of her career at CALU with a big brace on her knee and seemed unfazed. Others can never effectively get back on the court. Here's hoping both SB and AS are able to contribute to the top of their significant abilities and soon.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X