Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Calu wbb 2017-18

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
    Three games since that game at SHIP, all three Ws, all three not pretty, but at least this close win was against a formidable BORO team. Only bright spots, aside from the win, were SHATARA PARSONS, as expected, and DJ HAHN who is quietly solidifying her position as a starter even when SEAIRRA BARRETT makes her long awaited return. The D is still as aggressive as ever and ultimately what pulls out these close games, but if any team like IUP in a couple weeks ever gets hot, I'm afraid we're looking at a repeat of the embarrassment at ODU. The only other curious note is the apparent emergence of FR BIANCA JASPER as a possible lead guard. COACH JESS has tried at least 3 different players there and seems to be settling with JASPER more or less by default. Unless they are upset in one of the next five games, the VULCANS will be 16-1 heading into the PSAC WEST WBB game of the year versus the CRIMSON HAWKS who could still be undefeated and highly ranked. Should be fun, looking forward to it.
    That one should be at Cal, right? Hope it is on the net. It should be the inside track in regards to who gets to host the PSAC tourney and very possibly the region. But still a bit early for all of that conjecture. I wonder if this Boro team is for real?

-

Comment

The Edinboro women are very good. Foul trouble killed them at Cal. When their star center is out they are a much different team. They will be a tough out every game.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
        The Edinboro women are very good. Foul trouble killed them at Cal. When their star center is out they are a much different team. They will be a tough out every game.
        I assume that Stanley Swank is still the coach of the Boro gals. He is a good coach if he has the players. Shrewd guy who can outsmart his fellow coaches.

Comment

Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
          I assume that Stanley Swank is still the coach of the Boro gals. He is a good coach if he has the players. Shrewd guy who can outsmart his fellow coaches.
          He and JESS STROM have had a great series that she just inched ahead 9-8. When she first took over at CALU, replacing MARK SWASEY in Dec '11, he had her number winning 5 straight by an average of 19 pts. After that she's reversed it and gone 9-3 vs BORO, last three by small single digits. Always a battle and will be again this season.

Comment

He and JESS STROM have had a great series that she just inched ahead 9-8. When she first took over at CALU, replacing MARK SWASEY in Dec '11, he had her number winning 5 straight by an average of 19 pts. After that she's reversed it and gone 9-3 vs BORO, last three by small single digits. Always a battle and will be again this season.
            I still recall a former IUP WBB coach saying that Stanley would outcoach you if he had the horses in his stable. I still recall what he did to the Jeff Dow-coached IUP team in '13. All season I would hang my head with the lack of creativity showed by the IUP gals on the offensive end. Head down the court and run a set play for Sarah Pastorek. Well, Stanley was no fool. IUP couldn't even get a shot off in the second half of that game. He knew exactly what they were doing and took it completely away. That was a long night watching that.

I took a look at the Lady Scots WBB page and saw that former Boro post Maria DiVecchio (sp?) has a little sister on the team. I think the one Fisher girl who played recently does as well. Leave it to Stanley to keep it all in the family.

-

Comment

Seairra Barrett announced on Facebook that she is redshirting and focusing solely on basketball. Will return next season.

Comment

Originally posted by jsellew10 View Post
                Seairra Barrett announced on Facebook that she is redshirting and focusing solely on basketball. Will return next season.
                Figured that may be coming. Expect things will be sorted out as far as her supporting cast when next fall rolls around. COACH JESS and staff are doing an amazing job of keeping things moving in the right direction even with a team that hasn't entirely jelled yet. 5 games until IUP. Need to get everyone on the same page.

Comment

VULCAN WBB over GANNON WBB 71-53. First win as interim HC for KATIE TETZLAW while JESS STROM is on maternity leave. Her daughter JADE ELIZABETH STROM arrived a little over 1 day after Mom coached CALU past BORO. No word on when JS will return to the bench. This game was over in the 1st qtr with the VULCANS running out to a 28-13 lead and basically holding it for 3 more qtrs. They still haven't jelled as a team, but the individual players are good enough to beat most teams. Test will be in 4 weeks vs IUP.

Comment

VULCAN WBB over GANNON WBB 71-53. First win as interim HC for KATIE TETZLAW while JESS STROM is on maternity leave. Her daughter JADE ELIZABETH STROM arrived a little over 1 day after Mom coached CALU past BORO. No word on when JS will return to the bench. This game was over in the 1st qtr with the VULCANS running out to a 28-13 lead and basically holding it for 3 more qtrs. They still haven't jelled as a team, but the individual players are good enough to beat most teams. Test will be in 4 weeks vs IUP.

Comment

Congrats to Coach Strom! Wonderful news!

Comment

I interviewed Tetzlaw after the game, don't be surprised to see Strom at Slippery Rock ... although it may not be on the bench coaching. Woman is a beast. Made it home in time to watch the game on the net ... gave a thumbs up. I'm thinking she'll be back on the bench against IUP, though.
                        Key against Crimson Hawks will be Hahn shooting and Cushon on the boards. Finished with seven offensive rebounds against Gannon, team finished with 16. With Cal, it's all about their defense. Bianca Jasper getting more and more comfortable running the point, has more playing time her freshman year than the great Miki Glenn did.

Comment

Originally posted by jsellew10 View Post
                          I interviewed Tetzlaw after the game, don't be surprised to see Strom at Slippery Rock ... although it may not be on the bench coaching. Woman is a beast. Made it home in time to watch the game on the net ... gave a thumbs up. I'm thinking she'll be back on the bench against IUP, though.
                          Key against Crimson Hawks will be Hahn shooting and Cushon on the boards. Finished with seven offensive rebounds against Gannon, team finished with 16. With Cal, it's all about their defense. Bianca Jasper getting more and more comfortable running the point, has more playing time her freshman year than the great Miki Glenn did.
                          This response is aimed at VULCAN WBB fans and/or stat geeks. Through 13 games BJ actually trails MG 328 minutes to 334 but we'll call that a wash. Also very similar numbers in rebounds (38-44), assists (40-35), turnovers (21-19) and steals (17-20). BIANCA'S scoring is her weak point vs MIKI. PTS (66-120), 3PT (5-26/10-21), FT (24-37/42-52) and PF (31-16). She has a lot of potential, but MG was a much more polished player from the start, which COACH STROM picked up on very quickly as she had MIKI starting after just 2 games off the bench. By comparison, BJ didn't start until game 12 vs BORO but that says a lot considering the significance of that game. Can't recall if BJ always wore her hair in the single braid but she looks a lot like MG when you think about it. Anything close to the same career would be wonderful.

Comment

Another unnecessarily difficult game in the W column..CALU-71 SRU-62. PARSONS 30, JASPER 14, CUSHON 13. DJ HAHN didn't play but I didn't see the game so I can't say why. Stat oddity VULANS were 1-2 free throws in the first half and 22-27 in the second. Besides an excellent FT shooting day, the 2nd half strategy must have been take it to the hoop every time. Next up LHU @ home.

Comment

Another unnecessarily difficult game in the W column..CALU-71 SRU-62. PARSONS 30, JASPER 14, CUSHON 13. DJ HAHN didn't play but I didn't see the game so I can't say why. Stat oddity VULANS were 1-2 free throws in the first half and 22-27 in the second. Besides an excellent FT shooting day, the 2nd half strategy must have been take it to the hoop every time. Next up LHU @ home.

Comment

I do remember that play vs GU and although she seemed to shake it off, erring on the side of caution is paramount in this day. Probably didn't help that she has such closely cropped hair.
                                As I said I didn't see the game but going from a defense with MIKI, PRECIOUS, SEAIRRA and SHATARA to any other group definitely spoiled VULCANS fans. But a 13-1 work in progress does give me hope that the future is bright. Just checked out the 18-9 2013-14 team and the main parts of the NC team were there except SEAIRRA and SHATARA. With the right additions good can become great.
                                Last edited by CALUPA69; 01-06-2018, 08:59 PM. Reason: Delete

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X