• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Golden89
    replied
    Re: PSAC WEST

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    What's the theory as to why? Awkwardness of the place?
    I've been to nearly all of those 29 games at the MAC. And I've been to Edinboro almost every year and other road games here and there. But there's no place like the MAC. The place is configured very oddly. The bleachers are right on top of the court across from the benches and way back behind the benches on a place that serves as a stage. The background on one side is the athletic offices. The ceiling is more like an airplane hangar than a basketball gymnasium. A few Gannon fans swear that the MAC court is smaller than a regulation court. I've never measured it, but I'll take the officials at their word that the court is regulation size. I think that the way the MAC is configured makes the court feel smaller, making offenses uncomfortable and giving the game zero flow.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Originally posted by Golden89 View Post
    Crazy stat about the MAC ... Gannon and Mercyhurst have been playing a true home-and-home since 1989-90. In those 29 seasons, the game at the MAC was lower scoring 26 times to just 2 times that the Hammermill game was higher scoring (and one tie).

Even Reilly's predecessor, the much more offense-minded Jerry Slocum, had two games at the MAC in which the winner did not reach 50.

I bet that this stat isn't just limited to Gannon. Games in the MAC always seem to be ugly affairs. It's just magnified when you have two defense-first coaches like Reilly and Manchel going at it.
    What's the theory as to why? Awkwardness of the place?

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

I gave it a shot ... watched first 5-6 minutes ... then couldn't take it anymore. Lol.

I flipped over to SRU/UPJ.

Leave a comment:

• Golden89
    replied

Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
    Oh it was 50-47 with 57 seconds left. Hurst botched a dunk then the foul game came into play to make it look higher scoring than it really was. Terrible game to watch... I appreciate good defense but there was a lot of horrific offense in this game too (wide open missed lay ups, air balls, flat jumpers, etc). YUCK
    Crazy stat about the MAC ... Gannon and Mercyhurst have been playing a true home-and-home since 1989-90. In those 29 seasons, the game at the MAC was lower scoring 26 times to just 2 times that the Hammermill game was higher scoring (and one tie).

Even Reilly's predecessor, the much more offense-minded Jerry Slocum, had two games at the MAC in which the winner did not reach 50.

I bet that this stat isn't just limited to Gannon. Games in the MAC always seem to be ugly affairs. It's just magnified when you have two defense-first coaches like Reilly and Manchel going at it.
    Last edited by Golden89; 02-18-2018, 07:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Golden89
    replied

If you want defense at the NBA All Star game, have Reilly and Manchel coach the teams and play the game at the MAC. The final score would be 59-55.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Big week in the West ...

Rock at Gannon

Boro at IUP

IUP win Wednesday clinches outright West title
    Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 02-18-2018, 10:16 AM.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post
    58-50 is high scoring for that rivalry...
    Oh it was 50-47 with 57 seconds left. Hurst botched a dunk then the foul game came into play to make it look higher scoring than it really was. Terrible game to watch... I appreciate good defense but there was a lot of horrific offense in this game too (wide open missed lay ups, air balls, flat jumpers, etc). YUCK

Leave a comment:

• ctrabs74
    replied

Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
    Gannon knocked off Hurst in a barn burner 58-50. Watching paint dry would've been more exciting.
    58-50 is high scoring for that rivalry...

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

Gannon knocked off Hurst in a barn burner 58-50. Watching paint dry would've been more exciting.

Leave a comment:

• IUPTrackMan
    replied

SRU up 70-52 with 9:57 to play. UPJ had cut the lead to one very early in the second half but SRU is playing inspired now. SRU guard, Anderson, agrivated his injury, hopped off court on one leg and has not returned.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

I'll be at the Gannon/Hurst game. The side bet is Gannon at -3.5. I'll take Hurst getting those points. I'm still not sold that Gannon is good. All the ducks aligned on Monday for them.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Here's the picks, boys and girls. Short version. You gambling degenerates can still call your bookies.

UPJ at SRU
    -- REAL big game in West race ... Rock is tough in Morrow and UPJ is due for a cool-off game. That said, UPJ is too disciplined. SRU tends to implode under pressure. The Mountain Cats can play fast and score in bunches. UPJ -3

Cal at IUP
    -- Upset Alert. Heard it here first. Cal pulled a shocking upset here in 2014. It can do it again tonight. The Vulcans are playing better as of late and can score in many ways. IUP is still very limited in what it can do. The past two meetings IUP has blown huge, second half leads against the Vulcans. IUP does just enough to win tonight. Crimson Hawks -5

Mercyhurst at Gannon
    -- The MAC is the house of horrors. GU is rolling. Tough call. Gannon -2

Boro at Clarion
    -- Boro huge. Scots -24

Bonus

Women
    Cal at IUP
    -- To be the man ... you gotta (finally) beat the man. Tom is overdue. May not matter. Cal knows how to shut down Megan Smith. The rest follows. Vulcans -4

Leave a comment:

• IUPTrackMan
    replied

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    They sure were.

Not going back too far, Ron Righter had some really strong teams there -- highlighted by that 2001 PSAC Title.

I'd be pretty surprised if Coach Williams survives this off-season. He's having a pretty rough run. You'd think they'd want a little buzz heading in to their big renovation project.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

UPDATED STANDINGS - PSAC WEST MEN'S BASKETBALL

IUP (15-4, 19-7) W1

Gannon (13-6, 17-8) W3

Slippery Rock (13-7, 19-7) L1

Edinboro (12-7, 15-8) W1

Pitt-Johnstown (12-8, 14-10) W4

Mercyhurst (9-10, 12-11) L1

California (6-13, 10-15) W1