Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PSAC hoops at the Gate

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Off-topic but are the D-League or G-League games fun to attend? Is it quality basketball or organized street ball? I know those players are on and off the rosters so frequently I question the continuity of play.
    There are plenty of things going on off the court that make it fun for kids. I do not like the quality and style of play, but there are those who do. You have to get the families to help secure a fan base. I never see people with kids at Gannon, but there are plenty at the Bayhawks. And the Otters hockey team as well. Personally, I find the Otters games much more entertaining even thought I'm not a hockey fan. The two pro teams that play at a modern, newly-refurbished arena don't help the GU attendance. (Again -- I am not making excuses ... there are things that GU could do to bolster attendance and atmosphere; it's not a priority with the athletic department).

Comment

Originally posted by Mjtheman View Post
      I wonder how many watch the games online. Other then allowing families of players far away to be able to see them play, what reason does the psac have to have their product free of charge. Does anyone understand the thought behind this decision.
      Good point. This is the first year that the Gannon booster club didn't have a bus trip to a road game. A bunch of people got together at a local restaurant to watch the Seton Hill doubleheader webcast on a big screen. I heard that it was very well-attended.

The fact that the games are on a webcast (and PCN) make not travelling to IUP a much easier decision.

Comment

Originally posted by Golden89 View Post
        There are plenty of things going on off the court that make it fun for kids. I do not like the quality and style of play, but there are those who do. You have to get the families to help secure a fan base. I never see people with kids at Gannon, but there are plenty at the Bayhawks. And the Otters hockey team as well. Personally, I find the Otters games much more entertaining even thought I'm not a hockey fan. The two pro teams that play at a modern, newly-refurbished arena don't help the GU attendance. (Again -- I am not making excuses ... there are things that GU could do to bolster attendance and atmosphere; it's not a priority with the athletic department).
        Do you think having Gannon play a game or two at the Erie insurance arena is a good idea. Maybe a showcase game against iup that could help marketing of the Gannon team. Just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Mjtheman View Post
          I wonder how many watch the games online. Other then allowing families of players far away to be able to see them play, what reason does the psac have to have their product free of charge. Does anyone understand the thought behind this decision.
          Certainly former NFL Comish Pete Rozelle saw the NFL explode in popularity with his TV deal that allowed so much more people to see their product. I don't believe that it is ever a bad thing to get as much exposure as you can get when you have something to sell.

The nature of this thread and the overall decline in ratings of other popular sports is very intriguing indeed. At IUP it was mostly just a case of the KCAC pricing people out of the arena. A lot of folks lost interest in it for that very reason alone. I have heard it said by many people. I've never heard anyone say they didn't like the coaches or players or teams. It's always the same----pure economics!

But what about these other schools? What is the key factor there? Are sports ebbing out in our contemporary society with everyone simply too busy punching the buttons of their apps?

-

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
            There's no reason general admission for any PSAC event should be more than $5 for adults, $3 for teens/students, and FREE for kids 12 and under. Get butts in seats.
            I agree. It's D-II for cryin' out loud. Just be happy that someone wants to actually show up and pay something to see it. I'd actually be willing to go say $8 for a cheap seat up high at the KCAC. But even if they did lower it to that---they would add this charge and this fee and you would still be shelling out $11-$12 for a cheap seat like it is now.

-

Comment

Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
              I agree. It's D-II for cryin' out loud. Just be happy that someone wants to actually show up and pay something to see it. I'd actually be willing to go say $8 for a cheap seat up high at the KCAC. But even if they did lower it to that---they would add this charge and this fee and you would still be shelling out $11-$12 for a cheap seat like it is now.

-
              Bingo. Give him a prize. Locals see it as D2 ... and value it as D2. Inside that building (KCAC), however, half of them think it's Michigan State.

We know our problem. The rest are strange. Consider SRU as an example. The Rock gets like 6,500 per football game ... yet 200 per basketball game?

Mercyhurst lost 50% in a year? Shippensburg is coming off a PSAC title, has arguably the best player in the country and loses 20 percent?

Gannon has been in a consistent decline.

Times change, I suppose. I don't think anybody expects Cameron Indoor ... but it is kind of strange to think the Heritage Conference outdraws half the PSAC.

Personally, the revenue made or lost doesn't effect me at all. I support the program and want them to win. That sixth man, though, sure helps some nights. If it would just show up.

On the topic I do expect IUP to get a big gate tomorrow. The women's game may outdraw the men's game. Hopefully, we don't have to see that movie ICH talks about again ...

Comment

Comment

That Rock game is pretty interesting. So is Gannon at Mercy.

Comment

So...if the ticket prices for IUP games are so unaffordable for Indiana County residents.....what do they spend their entertainment dollars on?

Do they go to the movies? Movies are expensive.

Do they go out to dinner?

We complain that things cost too much but then we complain when we can't spend the money to compete.

They average ticket price for a Villanova game is 91 dollars.

Comment

I think it's more a perception of value.

Locals see it as D2 and value it as D2.

I buy season tickets and have for a long time. I enjoy it and see value in it.

But, living here I can 100% agree with what IUP Crimson Hawks says. I hear it myself from people all the time. Families aren't spending $80-$90 to take the kids to an IUP game.

Compare it to whatever else ... people value other things higher than D2 sports.

The only things factual are the numbers and they are dropping like wildfire.

As nice as the KCAC is ... the team gets no advantage of playing in front of an arena 25% full and spread out.

IUP had a much bigger homecourt advantage in the Field House (crowd-wise).

I agree with you often and listen to your opinions ... but comparing a D1 Top 5 program in a big market area to Indiana County .... that's a stretch.

Tickets are worth what people will pay for them. If people pay $91 at Nova ... then that's what they are worth. People aren't paying the KCAC prices. That's undeniable.

It's not just the tickets. The $6 popcorn, $4 hot dogs, $4 cokes, $8 beer ... it adds up quick and people are choosing to spend their money elsewhere.

We're not talking down 50 seats a game. This is 1,000 a game from just a few years ago. Not a coincidence.
                      Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 02-17-2018, 11:10 AM.

Comment

I've long had the idea of making the lower bowl all reserved (minus the student section).

You want those seats .... you're going to pay for them. Heck, charge a premium.

The entire upper bowl becomes first come first serve general admission ... at $5 a ticket.

Best of both worlds. Keep the season people happy. Keep the prices friendly.

Also, they won't sell the whole lower bowl out in season tickets so those extra seats would be available at the gate for a little more than general ... maybe $7 or $8.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                          I've long had the idea of making the lower bowl all reserved (minus the student section).

You want those seats .... you're going to pay for them. Heck, charge a premium.

The entire upper bowl becomes first come first serve general admission ... at $5 a ticket.

Best of both worlds. Keep the season people happy. Keep the prices friendly.

Also, they won't sell the whole lower bowl out in season tickets so those extra seats would be available at the gate for a little more than general ... maybe $7 or $8.
                          Now that would be logical there! If the idiots who run the KCAC actually implemented what you just said then they would without question see a big bump in attendance. It's completely insane the way that it is now. Plus, by making the top tier general admission seat yourself you would eliminate the need to pay all of those ushers to show people to their seats. Boy, if I had a dollar every time that I had to help someone find their seat after the ball had been tipped and after I paid an arm and a leg to get in I would have a decent pile of money. The way this place is run is just plain nuts!

So a family of four decides that it is going to take in an IUP game for the night's entertainment. The father figures it will be a good thing to do and maybe only cost him what, say $20-$30. Not too bad for a college game.

Drive to the game, the wife and kids want to park close to the building=$5 there.

Go inside to the ticket window. Decide the cheap seats would be fine, especially after seeing the prices. four tickets at $12 apiece= $48 there.

Go into the arena and get ready for the game. Everyone decides they need something to eat and drink. Go to the concessions area. three cokes, one beer, four hot dogs, four popcorns, please=$60 there.

Go back to your seats and try and enjoy the game after realizing that you just spent an incredible $113 to take your family of four to a D-II basketball game.

Does anyone see the problem here? Is it any wonder why people are not showing up?

Insane!

-

Comment

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post
                            So...if the ticket prices for IUP games are so unaffordable for Indiana County residents.....what do they spend their entertainment dollars on?

Do they go to the movies? Movies are expensive.

Do they go out to dinner?

We complain that things cost too much but then we complain when we can't spend the money to compete.

They average ticket price for a Villanova game is 91 dollars.
                            It's like I tried many times to explain to you, many area residents DO NOT have a lot of disposable income after having to pay necessities. Throw in the recent tax reassessment that hit the area led by clowns like Rodney Ruddock and Mike Baker and you have major problems with people even being able to keep their head above water. Many folks that I know who own farms in the county were treated very unfairly and if not being ushered into the clean and green agreement there was no way that they could have possibly kept their farms which have been in the family for many generations. None of these folks are exactly in the poor house either, but if you take a $2,000 tax bill and all of a sudden raise it up to $8,000 or $10,000 what do you think happens?

Take a look at all the houses that are up for sale throughout the county. People cannot afford to live here anymore.

BTW---Mike Baker is running for the State House I see. Don't vote for him! He doesn't deserve it!

-

Comment

Comment

Ironic this topic is up again today.

Late 90s and early 2000s ... if you wanted to see IUP vs Cal ... you were getting in the door before the ladies game.

There's some nostalgia for some of us .... Edwards vs Brown on a Saturday night in a slam-packed MFH or Hamer. You had to be there to experience it.

Ironically, so many hate Kevin Reynolds. Gary Edwards' sideline antics were KR on steroids.

So many see SRU as the rival today. IUP never (very rarely) loses to SRU. Those years ... the IUP vs Cal series was near 50/50. Each school would bring a couple hundred.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X