Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PSAC hoops at the Gate

Originally posted by IUP24 View Post
    And in all honesty, that's likely to help pay the officials. That's how that works at a lot of those places. I can remember it being like that when my little cousin played.
    Actually, it wasn't. It was a day long tourney at a local high school. The refs were one of the coaches or fathers of the opposing team (he did a great job--very fair man) and a girls player from the school. Not sure what the $1 went for but I was happy to pay it. I was always happy to pay a FAIR price to get into an IUP game. I recall years ago at the Field House sometimes I would arrive early before the ticket window was open and before any ticket takers were there. I would go into the gym and watch the teams do their shoot around. I would ALWAYS exit the gym a short time later to be sure that I did buy a ticket. I suppose I could have skirted the cost of it just by staying in there but I wanted to buy one and help out the university with the reasonable price that they asked.

People are happy to pay----they just want to pay a fair price!

-

Comment

Originally posted by IUP24 View Post
      Why just because you live in Indiana do you have to support IUP? Just a general question for Nation to go along with the last couple posts...
      Because it's the biggest employer in the county?

What would be in Centre County if Penn State didn't exist.

Probably not much.......

The locals need to have a better attitude towards the University.

The Coal jobs aren't coming back no matter how many times Cheeto claims they are coming back......

Comment

Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
        But they're NOT going out to be entertained at all. They are busy choosing between paying for housing, utilities, food, and medical care or paying their property taxes.

-
        That's everyone. My rent is $1910 a month. Even with a good job with a nice salary...people have to make choices down here too.

I can't eat out every night and go to games and movies all the time. Everyone has that same deal...

But paying 14 bucks for a basketball ticket doesn't seem outlandish to me.......

Comment

If you're going solo, then, no, it's not.

If you're trying to convince your wife to go and bring both kids (who really don't want to go anyway), now you're at $56 before you get to your seats. If anybody can take their kids there and not buy anything else ... let me know your trick. That family gets to $100 real quick. That's the problem.

As IUP24 said, outside of this board and the contingent of senior citizens in town ... locals don't care about IUP athletics. Specifically, not for $100 a game.

Comment

Okay, I have to fully agree with you on the first point. How in the world the electorate of Indiana County could possibly re-elect a complete azz like Rodney Ruddock in the midst of a messy tax reassessment is beyond me. That represents a real problem and unfortunately a lot of people had to suffer for it.

I'm not positive on the exact numbers but you get the idea of how bad the reassessment was and how hard it hit folks of the county. The company that the Indiana County Commissioners hired to do it was completely inept and botched the job at every possible turn of the road.

Your problem Nation is that you keep constantly comparing Indiana County to where you live in Philly. Those are two different worlds. If you would only realize that it would be a good starting point for these debates. The next time you are in town take a drive outside of the built up part of Indiana in any direction and tell me what you see. Indiana County is very different from the modern parts of town and campus. You have to understand what you are dealing with here.

-
            I know what it looks like on 422......and it didn't look great again in the year after I saw all the Trump signs on the front lawns.

Rural PA is in the predicament it is in because they didn't want to keep up with changes.

One has to credit the City of Pittsburgh for slowly evolving into what it is today. The city could have totally collapsed after the steel mills closed down...but it found a new purpose economically.

Many rural areas in PA didn't change. They want the past back.

It's not coming back.

They need to create a new future.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
              I have to say I took a walk last night and did have to laugh. I walked past one of the concession stands and saw chicken fingers for $9.75 at one of the stands. They'd go great with a $4 coke. I thought of this board.

Lower bowl price at the gate is $14 per. Online it comes out to $21 per.
              Did they come with french fries?

5 piece Chicken Strip (or whatever mystery meat they are made with) at Sheetz is a few bucks cheaper.

Movie theater concession prices are usually the worst.

Comment

If you're going solo, then, no, it's not.

If you're trying to convince your wife to go and bring both kids (who really don't want to go anyway), now you're at $56 before you get to your seats. If anybody can take their kids there and not buy anything else ... let me know your trick. That family gets to $100 real quick. That's the problem.

As IUP24 said, outside of this board and the contingent of senior citizens in town ... locals don't care about IUP athletics. Specifically, not for $100 a game.
                ...but how many are going to pay $15 bucks a ticket to see the WWE next month which is lame and not even a real sport?

I'm sure they'll buy concessions too.

I'd rather watch college kids play basketball.

Comment

Tickets range from $15 to $100 (ringside).

It sold out last year.

They actually draw a nice regional crowd for this event.

It still goes back to that 'value' proposition.

Put it this way: The WWE is 1-for-1 selling out the KCAC. IUP Basketball is 0-for-life

Comment

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post
                    ...but how many are going to pay $15 bucks a ticket to see the WWE next month which is lame and not even a real sport?

I'm sure they'll buy concessions too.

I'd rather watch college kids play basketball.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post
                      I know what it looks like on 422......and it didn't look great again in the year after I saw all the Trump signs on the front lawns.

Rural PA is in the predicament it is in because they didn't want to keep up with changes.

One has to credit the City of Pittsburgh for slowly evolving into what it is today. The city could have totally collapsed after the steel mills closed down...but it found a new purpose economically.

Many rural areas in PA didn't change. They want the past back.

It's not coming back.

They need to create a new future.
                      Okay, tell you what---when you come back next fall I will personally drive you to at least 100 little dying coal towns around the county and you can personally tell these people what exactly they should be doing to improve upon their economic prosperity.

Nobody has a magic wand like you would like to think. This comment just proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that you really know nothing at all about the plight of rural Indiana County.

You need to get off the beaten path of the town of Indiana, the IUP campus, and the big highway corridors to truly experience what it is like.

-

Comment

Tickets range from $15 to $100 (ringside).

It sold out last year.

They actually draw a nice regional crowd for this event.

It still goes back to that 'value' proposition.

Put it this way: The WWE is 1-for-1 selling out the KCAC. IUP Basketball is 0-for-life
                        Then obviously the locals don't value much....the WWE is lame.

Comment

IUP is an event to me. It's my school. It represents me...and I want it to succeed.

Watching a bunch of steroid and coke/meth addled "wrestlers" put on a staged wrestling match is not worth more than a 5 dollar ticket price.....

Anyone paying a hundred bucks to watch that nonsense shouldn't lecture me about entertainment value....

Comment

He's not lecturing you.

I agree with you. I'd personally go back 7-8 years since I've missed a home football or basketball game.

What we're saying is there aren't very many people around Indiana who 'value' IUP the way some of us do. This will be the 5th straight year basketball attendance has decreased.

The high-water mark of 2,001 avg .... it's about 1,100 with one home game to go.

We aren't telling you it might decline. It HAS declined. Dramatically. Quickly.

Men's game got 1,300 (announced) this past Saturday. Not Wednesday. Saturday night. That's bad.

Keep in mind you pay more in rent than a lot make in a month in Indiana County.

Comment

Okay, tell you what---when you come back next fall I will personally drive you to at least 100 little dying coal towns around the county and you can personally tell these people what exactly they should be doing to improve upon their economic prosperity.

Nobody has a magic wand like you would like to think. This comment just proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that you really know nothing at all about the plight of rural Indiana County.

You need to get off the beaten path of the town of Indiana, the IUP campus, and the big highway corridors to truly experience what it is like.

-
                              I'd tell them they need to move.

Tell me the plight of rural Indiana County.

Tell me that none if it is their fault.

Comment

He's not lecturing you.

I agree with you. I'd personally go back 7-8 years since I've missed a home football or basketball game.

What we're saying is there aren't very many people around Indiana who 'value' IUP the way some of us do. This will be the 5th straight year basketball attendance has decreased.

The high-water mark of 2,001 avg .... it's about 1,100 with one home game to go.

We aren't telling you it might decline. It HAS declined. Dramatically. Quickly.

Men's game got 1,300 (announced) this past Saturday. Not Wednesday. Saturday night. That's bad.

Keep in mind you pay more in rent than a lot make in a month in Indiana County.
                                There are 13000 students. You mean there aren't a few thousand of them that can go to a game and act like fools for a few hours?

Attendance has declined at every school...or so you all are telling me.

So it's not just 15 dollar tickets and 9 dollar chicken fingers keeping people away.

Are they charging 15 dollars a ticket and 9 dollar chicken fingers at the other schools?

Why are they seeing declines...especially at the Catholic Schools where basketball games used to be and still should be a big deal.

I think the prices are more of an issue for those of you actually going to the games.

I suspect anyone living in a trailer on some back road in Indiana County wasn't going to IUP basketball games at any time over the last 30 years.

People are not going to the basketball games for probably the same reasons they are not going to foosball games.

The people who used to care about IUP athletics are very old or dead. The alumni from the 80's, 90's and 2000's weren't going to games as students (trust me I couldn't get anyone to go to foosball games as a student and even I only went to a few basketball games mainly because we stunk at basketball in the 80's)....they surely aren't going to care all of a sudden as alumni.

You all worry too much about attendance. You just need to worry that donors are still giving to the programs.
                                Last edited by IUPNation; 02-19-2018, 02:32 PM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X