16. Virginia State

Women's

9. Edinboro
    10. Virginia Union
    18. IUP
    25. Glenville State

Comment

Re: Preseason Polls - Atlantic Region

It's my fault for missing it in the Pick 'Em but one of the best games in the Region in Week 1 is this Shaw vs East Stroudsburg contest.

Shaw just added Amir Hinton (and others) to a team already returning a lot.

With an actual supporting cast Hinton is going to crazy good this year.

Comment

Ferris State vs Fairmont State

4:15 p.m. today

Comment

Final

Ferris State 78

Fairmont State 76

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
            Final

Ferris State 78

Fairmont State 76
            I forgot about these games. I was to busy going to the IUP/Boro game and then my niece had a subregional soccer game vs. State College. Busy day! Looked like that game was a good one!

Comment

Fairmont lost to Missouri Western today, 80-73.

The dreaded 0-2 start. That's the risk of these marquee weekends.

IUP learned that last year.

Comment

That's good for the rest of the region. You have to figure they could take a couple more losses to WL. Time will tell.

Comment

That's the problem with the "scheduling tough" that people seem soooo enamored with. If you lose these tough games, your season can be almost over before it begins. Fairmont has now given themselves very little margin for error. I surmise that they have about five more 50/50 games on their schedule. To avoid having to win the MEC tourney to make the playoffs, they probably will need to win at least three of those games and hope they don't have a random bad night against a team they should beat.
                  Last edited by boatcapt; 11-05-2018, 08:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
                    That's good for the rest of the region. You have to figure they could take a couple more losses to WL. Time will tell.

I thought the Slippery Rock vs. Fairmont State game this Saturday was really one of the marquee opening weekend games. Then, of course, this SRU bombshell got dropped. It still might be a good game. The players may be pretty jacked up now. They got their wish. However, missing a full week of camp in a holdout and having no scrimmages -- for a roster with 12 new players ... not good odds. Fairmont has two games under their belts against top-level D2 competition.

I could actually see SRU going 0-2 this weekend against ND and SRU. They (may?) will eventually be a strong team once the dust settles a bit. Micah Till will keep them in most games.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                      That's the problem with the "scheduling tough" that people seem soooo enamored with. If you lose these tough games, your season can be almost over before it begins. Fairmont has now given themselves very little margin for error. I surmise that they have about five more 50/50 games on their schedule. To avoid having to win the MEC tourney to make the playoffs, they probably will need to win at least three of those games and hope they don't have a random bad night against a team they should beat.

I agree. Last year it happened to IUP. Many on this board said it didn't matter because it was so early. It sure did.

Most years, and I stress 'most', you can probably have 7-8 losses and be safe. Some years less. But, 8 usually seems to be that magic/bubble number.

Looking at Fairmont's schedule, obviously they get WL twice, Concord twice, host IUP and whomever else emerges in the MEC.

I see them pounding Cal Friday night and I have to think they are favored against Slippery Rock right now. Although, SRU is a wildcard. They have talent.

Comment

I agree. Last year it happened to IUP. Many on this board said it didn't matter because it was so early. It sure did.

Most years, and I stress 'most', you can probably have 7-8 losses and be safe. Some years less. But, 8 usually seems to be that magic/bubble number.

Looking at Fairmont's schedule, obviously they get WL twice, Concord twice, host IUP and whomever else emerges in the MEC.

I see them pounding Cal Friday night and I have to think they are favored against Slippery Rock right now. Although, SRU is a wildcard. They have talent.
                        I think scheduling hard has it's place if a team is the top dog in a weak conference. But neither the PSAC or the MEC are weak conferences. Teams will get plenty of opportunity to play against top tier teams in tough games over the course of the conference schedule. I think rule #1 of OOC scheduling for teams that see themselves as conference front runners is to schedule teams that you have a good chance of beating. For conference front runners in top tier conferences, losing to a really tough team does way more harm than good.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X