Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PSAC WEST

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    What a call at end of Gannon Rock game ... overturned out of bounce call. Reynolds about lost his mind.
    I remember a similar call going against Rock in that double overtime playoff game at Gannon a couple of years ago. No matter how many times I saw the replay, I'm still convinced the refs got the call wrong.
    Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mjtheman View Post
      It was the right call SRU had chances at the end but didn't execute multiple times. Stranger ending in the women's game. SRU up 3 with about 10 seconds left. They call a timeout with none remaining and get a two shot technical. Lead at 1. One ref says SRU ball but is overridden by another. Gannon is fouled and makes 2 free throws to win by one. Was that the correct call? I thought they changed the rule to 2 free throws but the ball stays with the team that called the improper timeout.
      Per Rule 10, Section 2, Article 7:

The ball shall be put back in play at the point of interruption to the offended team. Two free throws awarded to the offended team.

Judging by your description of the play, it appears to be the correct call to give Gannon the ball.

Comment

I saw the GU/SRU score was close so I put the feed on the final four minutes after the IUP game.

From how high up the GU feed shoots you couldn't really get a good view from TV. The initial call came in quick to keep possesion to SRU but the other two overturned it.

With no replay I had no idea. That was a huge call, though. Gannon has a little magic to it this season with these close games. Fortunately it won't last forever.

I don't want to jinx it but if IUP wins up there Saturday that all but clinches the West -- pending some epic slew of upsets. A win would give IUP a 3-game lead with 6-7 games left.

I wish the Gannon feed would let you hear the crowd noise more. It's kind of just the screen and no audio but the announcer. Strange, almost. But, still better than the NO feed provided by IUP.

Imagine how much better SRU's record could be if it could just make free throws. At least a 3-4 game swing.

Comment

I was at the Hammermill ... I didn't have a great view of the out of bounds call, but those that did said that the ball was clearly off the SRU player. Any crucial late call that causes Reynolds to go ballistic is perfectly fine with me -- I love adding the entertainment value to the game. It was your usual Gannon - Slippery Rock slugfest.

Huge game on Saturday. Agree that IUP all but wraps up the West with a win. Gannon is going to lead a little more than their late game magic to win it.

The women's game had a crazy finish. Slippery Rock was ahead 63-60 with 21 seconds left and had the ball. An SRU player dribbled past half court and called time out right after Gannon forced a tie-up. Trouble is, SRU was out of time outs. I think she thought she heard her bench ask for a time out. GU drained the two free throws and Maggie Mitchell made two free throws with four seconds left on the ensuing possession after SRU fouled to evade a wide open lay-up. Gannon won 64-63. Never saw a player call or an extra time out with the lead. Gannon needed a miracle and got it. The bad news is that the Lady Knights move to only 5-15.

Comment

Originally posted by Mjtheman View Post
            It was the right call SRU had chances at the end but didn't execute multiple times. Stranger ending in the women's game. SRU up 3 with about 10 seconds left. They call a timeout with none remaining and get a two shot technical. Lead at 1. One ref says SRU ball but is overridden by another. Gannon is fouled and makes 2 free throws to win by one. Was that the correct call? I thought they changed the rule to 2 free throws but the ball stays with the team that called the improper timeout.
            I heard that the one official called a tie-up and Gannon had the arrow, which changed possession. The time out was already called, so it was essentially a double-mistake by SRU.

The SRU men certainly had their chances. Eight stressful wins in a row!! Nothing is easy. You can't keep living like this, but it certainly fun watching this team pull out close win after close win.

One other question ... I saw in the game program that SRU's leading scorer (#12 ... Naquil Jones or something like that) did not play in the game. Injury? Suspension? Doghouse?

Comment

Kevin Reynolds is worth the price of admission. He's quite the entertainer.

I think he's done very well there for the little they give him to work with on a yearly basis. He has very little money, crappy facilities, no fan support and a football-crazed athletic department.

I'd be interested to see what he could do at a fully-funded program. I liked him for the Cal job but apparently he showed no interest in it and didn't apply. He is a good basketball coach. He's rarely had the talent to keep up with the wealthy of the west but has kept a highly competitive team on the floor year after year. If you want to compare the West to MLB, ... IUP and Gannon are the Yankees and the Red Sox ... he's running the Brewers.

Few (if any) coaches can get the KCAC wound up like Reynolds does. I saw at Gannon last night he is still setting up his timeouts with those wood-leg benches out in the middle of the court.

The way that game ended last night those refs showed a lot of restraint not giving him a technical.

All of that said, his sideline antics are, well, interesting.

Comment

Edinboro is down to just 7 guys. They're playing much better but just outmanned at this point.

Comment

What happened to Anderson? That's a huge loss for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                    Edinboro is down to just 7 guys. They're playing much better but just outmanned at this point.
                    What happened to their roster??? I heard they only dressed 7. What has happened there?

Comment

Took a look at that Rock vs SH boxscore from yesterday ...

SH shot 20% from the field and got out-rebounded 48 to 19.

Being held to 32 points for a whole game ... hard to beleive.

Lock Haven also knocked off ESU last night.

Ship losing likely blew the best chance of the Regional being in PA.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                        Took a look at that Rock vs SH boxscore from yesterday ...

SH shot 20% from the field and got out-rebounded 48 to 19.

Being held to 32 points for a whole game ... hard to beleive.

Lock Haven also knocked off ESU last night.

Ship losing likely blew the best chance of the Regional being in PA.
                        This is probably accurate unless both Fairmont and West Liberty lose a few games between now and the conference tournaments.

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post
                          This is probably accurate unless both Fairmont and West Liberty lose a few games between now and the conference tournaments.
                          Fairmont hosts WJU and travels to West Liberty this week. If Falcons win both and stay healthy, can't imagine the regional going anywhere else.

Comment

Fairmont loses both it just puts West Liberty in the driver's seat to host at that time. The Ship loss does hurt for the regional to end up in the PSAC.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
                              What happened to their roster??? I heard they only dressed 7. What has happened there?
                              Injuries. Then more injuries. Then some more injuries. They were already projected to have a tough year and this makes Pat Cleary's job even more difficult. As I told him previously - at least he knows its not him!

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                                Injuries. Then more injuries. Then some more injuries. They were already projected to have a tough year and this makes Pat Cleary's job even more difficult. As I told him previously - at least he knows its not him!
                                Projected to have a tough year??? I recall they were suppose to be towards the top of the PSAC West. Even before the injuries, that roster was failing. No reason that team shouldn't be in better shape.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X