Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I disagree. The hardline stance on the number is the problem. I think the games could be played with some accommodations: no fans, game table staff spaced out, benches spaced out, etc. But the PIAA is trying to play as if its any other year. If they had proposed a way to make it happen with accommodations, I imagine he would have decided it. This is what happened with restaurants and breweries. Through their trade associations, they proposed adjusted guidelines and the governor consented.
    I still have no idea why an outdoor stadium can't have 33% occupancy yet indoor restaurants can.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I still have no idea why an outdoor stadium can't have 33% occupancy yet indoor restaurants can.
      I think you oversimplified it. Restaurants can go up to 50% capacity if they have room to keep tables 6 feet apart. I guess a stadium could do the same - but I imagine it would have to be first come first serve and not reserved seats or presale.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I think you oversimplified it. Restaurants can go up to 50% capacity if they have room to keep tables 6 feet apart. I guess a stadium could do the same - but I imagine it would have to be first come first serve and not reserved seats or presale.
        I would think reserved/pre-sale would actually be better. Keep people from lining up at the ticket window and you could also designate entrances close to the seats to keep people from lining up to enter at one place. You can also cut the stadium into sections for concession and bathrooms to avoid potential cross contamination (ex. in a 20,000 seat stadium, limit total people in the stadium to 10,000, cut the stadium into 4 parts each with seprate entrances, concessions and bathrooms. if a person does come in with Covid, the maximum "community spread" would be 2,500 vice 10,000.)

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

I would think reserved/pre-sale would actually be better. Keep people from lining up at the ticket window and you could also designate entrances close to the seats to keep people from lining up to enter at one place. You can also cut the stadium into sections for concession and bathrooms to avoid potential cross contamination (ex. in a 20,000 seat stadium, limit total people in the stadium to 10,000, cut the stadium into 4 parts each with seprate entrances, concessions and bathrooms. if a person does come in with Covid, the maximum "community spread" would be 2,500 vice 10,000.)
          I get your point. Just a clarification regarding maximum community spread. The first level is 2500. They in turn might have contact with 10 people each ( now 25,000 exposed at second level ), who in turn contact 10 people (250,000 At 3rd level), etc. That is the inherent problem with large gatherings. The greater the delay in identifying the initial positive case and then somehow contact tracing and quarantining the 2500 ( non trivial task) the greater the spread.

Comment

• Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post

I get your point. Just a clarification regarding maximum community spread. The first level is 2500. They in turn might have contact with 10 people each ( now 25,000 exposed at second level ), who in turn contact 10 people (250,000 At 3rd level), etc. That is the inherent problem with large gatherings. The greater the delay in identifying the initial positive case and then somehow contact tracing and quarantining the 2500 ( non trivial task) the greater the spread.
            Yea...First level direct contact potential of 2500.

I think a lot of Covid "management" visa vie large events can be learned from security crowd management. Certainly more to it, but "crowd control" focuses on flow control, rapid ingress and exit and identifying and mitigating choke points are primary factors that security looks at for any mass gathering.

Comment

• Late addition for West Chester ... Lapri McCray-Pace.

6'4" SF from Morgan State.

Looks like he mainly was a deep bench guy at MSU ... played in 6 games last year with no starts. Two years' eligibility with WCU.

Comment

Seems like you're assuming the 1st 2500 are all in contact with 1 suspect CV-19er. There's the possibility no-one is infected

Comment

• Originally posted by Sec10-A-14 View Post

Seems like you're assuming the 1st 2500 are all in contact with 1 suspect CV-19er. There's the possibility no-one is infected
                  Yep u are correct. The topic was about maximum community spread. Another challenge is the contact tracing to determine who, if any, of the 2500 are infected. Would also seem to be non-trivial task.

Comment

Yep u are correct. The topic was about maximum community spread. Another challenge is the contact tracing to determine who, if any, of the 2500 are infected. Would also seem to be non-trivial task.
                    The thing that may squash hoops is the indoor capacity limit (currently at 25 in PA).

I tend to doubt they make an exception just for basketball.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

The thing that may squash hoops is the indoor capacity limit (currently at 25 in PA).

I tend to doubt they make an exception just for basketball.
                      I'd be okay with 25% capacity. The facilities can handle it.

Comment

• I may be wrong here but didn't I read some Pa Fed judge declare the Gov's Pa capacity rule illegal?
                        Agree most arena below D1 don't get more than 25% anyhow.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sec10-A-14 View Post

Just playing the numbers, I would say that there is a PROBABILITY that no-one attending a given game is infected. But if there was one person infected, you would have to calculate how many people came within the magic 6 foot ring of that person while both were not wearing masks and then factor in the "transmission rate" to determine how many would leave the event as new carriers of Covid. Point is that even going to a game that has a "COVID carrier" does not mean that your chances of getting infected are very high. Could you be the unlucky person who is seated next to this person? Sure and that would increase your odds but even then, the odds would be pretty low.

Comment

• Mercyhurst freshman F Isaiah Jarzab has entered the portal. He's from Hermitage so there's probably good reason he gets a look by Slippery Rock.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X