Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2019 Mountain East Tournament

Originally posted by JDonAB92 View Post
    The tweet says "unique circumstances". There is no word "and unforseen". I posed a question as to why he might be leaving. It was a question. I don't know why he is leaving but neither do you.

https://twitter.com/CoachSinawi/stat...15312820207617
    Unique and unforeseen circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
      Did you really expect someone with real knowledge of why he is leaving to post it on this board?
      Maybe he opened up a bad bank account?

Comment

Synonym for "exigency".....dat be crisis.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/exigency
        You're funny. An exigent situation is not necessarily a crisis...same as an emergency is not always a crisis.

Comment

Ok, the Wheeling newspaper recently used the word "financial crisis" in its headline. I guess the editor needs to use better vocabulary terms too.

http://www.theintelligencer.net/news...ancial-crisis/

Nonetheless, WJU has lost a good freshman in Woody at a time when they were turning the corner after what happened during the off-season last year.

Comment

Ok, the Wheeling newspaper recently used the word "financial crisis" in its headline. I guess the editor needs to use better vocabulary terms too.

http://www.theintelligencer.net/news...ancial-crisis/

Nonetheless, WJU has lost a good freshman in Woody at a time when they were turning the corner after what happened during the off-season last year.
            Think we are arguing symantics. A crisis certainly is an exigent situation but an exigent situation is not necessarily a crisis. Like I have to go to the bathroom right now...it is an exigent situation that if I don't act on it immediately, it can become a crisis!!!!!

Yes, they are losing a good one in Woody and as thin as they were last year, his leaving will hurt.

Comment

To correct it is an exigency and not a crisis. While both require rapid action...A broken stop light at a busy intersection is an exigent situation...a dump truck barreling at a family in a minivan sitting in the middle of that same intersection is a crisis!

According to someone who Tweeted on Woody's transfer (and Woody retweeted), Woody leaving was caused by a unique and unforeseen situation. Same Tweet says he has "heard" from several D1 and top DII programs (no it didn't say which...just TOP).
              Good Points. To expand on your analogy, a broken stop light requires immediate action by the traffic department, as it is designed to go into blinking red failsafe mode. However, it does not require a meeting of all departments, the city council and concerned citizens (excluding the media LOL).

One way I have found interesting is to create a 2x2 quadrant for events. The columns are URGENT and LESS URGENT and the two rows are IMPORTANT and LESS IMPORTANT.
              The traffic light would be urgent and less important (assuming the lights were flashing in failsafe mode) and the risk is a massive traffic jam. A financial shortfall might today be less urgent, but extremely important.

THe quadrant is not static. The WJU financial shortfall could move to urgent and very important if no effectve measures are taken in the near term. I suspect that the measures were ineffective a few years ago, when the Wheeling diocese had to buy the institution property and then lease it back to WJU to pay off a smothering debt load of > $20M...
              As I understand it, declaring a financial exigency is the first step to being able to layoff tenured personnel.

They are on horns of a dilemma, and many small schools are, or will soon be facing the same situation; they need to grow enrollment so cost per student decreases to be more competitive, but if they eliminate majors, then fewer kids may want to come. Tenured professors are typically older and farther up the salary curve, but their tenure prevents you from laying them off without a voluntary golden parachute to get lower cost professors.

Some D2 schools use athletics to lure kids to a school as "walk ons" to get their numbers up for enrollment while getting more tuition $. Purportedly, Urbana had used that approach in the past.
              Some unconvential moves may be in order - merge with other private schools, even if they are not Catholic-based? Increase virtual, online approach?

----- now for some levity -----------------
              If the professors are advocates for open borders, I would suggest bringing in PhD professors from India to replace them at 1/4 the rate. They should welcome that idea; else they would be hypocrites (LOL it really depends on whose ox is getting gored, doesnt it? LOL)

I would suspect the use of EDGE to sell admission to wealthy actors so their kids can attend is probably off the table for now LOL

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              | Urgent | Less Urgent
              -----------------|--------------------------------------------------|-------------------------------------
              Very Important | | WJU Financial shortfall
              | |
              ------------------|--------------------------------------------------|-------------------------------------

Less Important | Traffic light in failsafe mode |
              -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Last edited by Columbuseer; 03-21-2019, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
                Good Points. To expand on your analogy, a broken stop light requires immediate action by the traffic department, as it is designed to go into blinking red failsafe mode. However, it does not require a meeting of all departments, the city council and concerned citizens (excluding the media LOL).

One way I have found interesting is to create a 2x2 quadrant for events. The columns are URGENT and LESS URGENT and the two rows are IMPORTANT and LESS IMPORTANT.
                The traffic light would be urgent and less important (assuming the lights were flashing in failsafe mode) and the risk is a massive traffic jam. A financial shortfall might today be less urgent, but extremely important.

THe quadrant is not static. The WJU financial shortfall could move to urgent and very important if no effectve measures are taken in the near term. I suspect that the measures were ineffective a few years ago, when the Wheeling diocese had to buy the institution property and then lease it back to WJU to pay off a smothering debt load of > $20M...
                As I understand it, declaring a financial exigency is the first step to being able to layoff tenured personnel.

They are on horns of a dilemma, and many small schools are, or will soon be facing the same situation; they need to grow enrollment so cost per student decreases to be more competitive, but if they eliminate majors, then fewer kids may want to come. Tenured professors are typically older and farther up the salary curve, but their tenure prevents you from laying them off without a voluntary golden parachute to get lower cost professors.

Some D2 schools use athletics to lure kids to a school as "walk ons" to get their numbers up for enrollment while getting more tuition $. Purportedly, Urbana had used that approach in the past.
                Some unconvential moves may be in order - merge with other private schools, even if they are not Catholic-based? Increase virtual, online approach?

If the professors are advocates for open borders, I would suggest bringing in PhD professors from India to replace them at 1/4 the rate. They should welcome that idea; else they would be hypocrites (LOL it really depends on whose ox is getting gored, doesnt it? LOL)

I would suspect the use of EDGE to sell admission to wealthy actors so their kids can attend is probably off the table for now LOL

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                | Urgent | Less Urgent
                -----------------|--------------------------------------------------|-------------------------------------
                | |
                ------------------|--------------------------------------------------|-------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And .... this is what happens when our teams are done for the season. lol.

Comment

| Urgent | Less Urgent
                  | |

Not going to go back and re-read all the news reports, but I recall reading one of the people interviewed mentioning that part of the issue was tuition discounts that had given.

WAY back when I worked in the auto sales industry, we had volume and gross dealerships. Volume dealers made their $ by selling a lot of cars at very low profits while gross dealers made their $ selling fewer cars at higher profit margins. Both could be successful but the absolute last thing you wanted to try to be was a dealership in the middle...people looking for quick bargin would go to the volume dealer and people looking for high quality service and wanting choices would go to the gross dealer.

Comment

• Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                      And .... this is what happens when our teams are done for the season. lol.
                      Lol. Good one and so true!

Comment

Have you heard anything about franklins strategy or plans for Urbana since their purchase?

Comment

Have you heard anything about franklins strategy or plans for Urbana since their purchase?

Comment

Comment

This from the Urbana web site:

Total enrollment 1,800+
                              600+ campus-based undergraduates
                              250+ adult and grad students
                              1000+ dual enrollment HS students
                              360 student-athletes
                              55% of students live on campus

As for weather Urbana University is really Franklin University, as I recall this effectively happened last year (I think) when Franklin installed Christopher Washington as the head of Urbana. His official title is Executive VP, Urbana Campus and he works directly for David Decker who is the President of Franklin University. I note that Franklin lists Urbana as a branch campus.

With that as pack drop, I would say that Franklin already has a DII athletic program and it is housed at Franklin's Urbana Branch Campus.

Here's a news article about Urbana's recovery from May of last year:

https://www.springfieldnewssun.com/n...tFIdQ7BHihFIM/
                              Last edited by boatcapt; 03-22-2019, 07:02 AM.

Comment

This from the Urbana web site:

Total enrollment 1,800+
                                600+ campus-based undergraduates
                                250+ adult and grad students
                                1000+ dual enrollment HS students
                                360 student-athletes
                                55% of students live on campus

As for weather Urbana University is really Franklin University, as I recall this effectively happened last year (I think) when Franklin installed Christopher Washington as the head of Urbana. His official title is Executive VP, Urbana Campus and he works directly for David Decker who is the President of Franklin University. I note that Franklin lists Urbana as a branch campus.

With that as pack drop, I would say that Franklin already has a DII athletic program and it is housed at Franklin's Urbana Branch Campus.
                                For sure, that's what they advertise. Urbana has a dual-enrollment program with the high schools in their county that allows seniors to take a high school class and receive Urbana college credits for it. If you add the high school kids in, it does make their enrollment appear much bigger.

The 365 number is what they reported to the Dept of Education and is for full time undergrads - traditional college students. Of the 365 full time students, 245 are student athletes.

Edit: BTW - it seems like almost all small schools over-advertise their enrollment. Its definitely a thing. They will throw out a number like 1600 - and it might not be lying. They may have that many people who take one class through the school during an academic year. However, many of those may be high school kids sitting in their high school or a grad student taking a single on-line class. The larger number masks that only 365 kids are actually full time at the school. We all see the larger advertised number that seems healthy and then are surprised when a school goes under.
                                Last edited by BlueBlood; 03-22-2019, 07:26 AM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X