Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Scrub View Post
    Daylin Lee leaving WVWC. He had a real nice year there. (But I hope he doesn't have his eyes on D1--he'll likely end up disappointed)
    Based on cursory glance, d2 to d1 transfers appear to be at least all conference players. Supports your concerns about his d1 chances

Comment

• I don't think it's safe or fair to assume every D2 transfer is doing it just to move up a level.

Some just may want to get the hell out of Buckhannon, WV. Or, play for a much better program. Or, both.

Daylin Lee is a nice player. Good size.

However, if they had a D1 player, I'd lean more toward Ross Young (who is also transferring).

These are two guys that if you put on the right D2 team, they could be stars. There just wasn't enough talent around them. Put Young on a team with other legit bigs and let him do his thing ... he'd be a terror on both ends. I'd love to have him.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
        I don't think it's safe or fair to assume every D2 transfer is doing it just to move up a level.

Some just may want to get the hell out of Buckhannon, WV. Or, play for a much better program. Or, both.

Daylin Lee is a nice player. Good size.

However, if they had a D1 player, I'd lean more toward Ross Young (who is also transferring).

These are two guys that if you put on the right D2 team, they could be stars. There just wasn't enough talent around them. Put Young on a team with other legit bigs and let him do his thing ... he'd be a terror on both ends. I'd love to have him.
        I agree players leave for many reasons. I suspect most revolve around hoops rather than trying to go to a better academic school. So many lack a realistic perspective of their athletic prospects. They cannot comprehend the chasm that separates them from a pro player.
        just Google Brian scalabrine, a 40+ former journeyman nba player. He accepts challenges to play 1 on 1.
        he dominated a former Syracuse grad. Funny stuff.

Here is a hot shot high school kid challenging him

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=31127564

Comment

• Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post

I agree players leave for many reasons. I suspect most revolve around hoops rather than trying to go to a better academic school. So many lack a realistic perspective of their athletic prospects. They cannot comprehend the chasm that separates them from a pro player.
          just Google Brian scalabrine, a 40+ former journeyman nba player. He accepts challenges to play 1 on 1.
          he dominated a former Syracuse grad. Funny stuff.

Here is a hot shot high school kid challenging him

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=31127564

It's funny to think what would happen to D1 basketball if kids actually thought that way ... i.e. picking the best academic school possible and going there for free.

But, that's not going to happen for most. For starters, they'd have to actually be able to get admitted. I say that with a grain of salt, of course, to an extent. Then they'd have to stay eligible (another grain).

But, no doubt, for about 98.5% of college basketball players ... the games over on graduation day.

Comment

It's funny to think what would happen to D1 basketball if kids actually thought that way ... i.e. picking the best academic school possible and going there for free.

But, that's not going to happen for most. For starters, they'd have to actually be able to get admitted. I say that with a grain of salt, of course, to an extent. Then they'd have to stay eligible (another grain).

But, no doubt, for about 98.5% of college basketball players ... the games over on graduation day.
            Many (most?) college players (basketball, football, etc) have an unrealistic assessment of their skills. Quite often, parents and "handlers" feed this inflated assessment. When these kids fail, it typically is explained away as their coach not realizing their greatness, not using them "right," or that the coach is "out to get them." Rarely if ever will you hear a player say, "well, the reason I'm not starting and only playing 3 minutes a game is because I'm slow and can't shoot."

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

Many (most?) college players (basketball, football, etc) have an unrealistic assessment of their skills. Quite often, parents and "handlers" feed this inflated assessment. When these kids fail, it typically is explained away as their coach not realizing their greatness, not using them "right," or that the coach is "out to get them." Rarely if ever will you hear a player say, "well, the reason I'm not starting and only playing 3 minutes a game is because I'm slow and can't shoot."
              It's an interesting item to analyze.

All these transfers ... a year ago many were signed with such high expectations. What happens during that short time period of signing to entering the portal?

I think the main reasons (you mentioned several of them):

* Not the right fit - The number of kids who sign sight-unseen is unbelievable. They don't see the campus. They don't meet the coach (in person). They don't see the town. They don't research the program. Not all skill sets match all systems.

Conversely:

* Not the right fit - The coach/program signs kids sight-unseen. They all look great on HUDL tapes, etc. Or, the kid shows up and is a locker room cancer. Some are just jerks. So, he really is just not a good fit.

* Coaches - Not all coaches are saints. Many sell used cars / dreams. We see this a lot at certain programs in the Atlantic. Come down here to D2 and you'll be the star. Then they arrive and find out the coach told the other (7) cast-offs the same thing. They can't all be stars. So, for a season you have a full rotation of 'get mine' guys and the team stinks.

* Handlers - "What do you mean Big Johnny is going to redshirt at a stinking D2 program? He has Round 1 potential. His uncle told me. Coach is a fool. Get him out of there. Due is 6'8" and dominated the paint in high school."
              -- Problem is: he's not ready to play as a true freshman (few are). He has nowhere near Round 1 potential. His uncle is a fool. They are all 6'8" at this level.

I know at IUP we've had several true freshmen come in here very decorated. Then they get here and realize they are in way over their heads. Some stick it out and put the work in -- and others have bailed. This is even more true in football. IUP and the top D2 football teams ... the jump from high school to the first day of pads is just an incredible eye-opener. There are serious dudes on that field. Big. Fast. Mean. Strong. I prefer to redshirt the whole freshmen class, although I realize not all schools have that luxury. About 95% of freshmen we bring in here for football just aren't physically or mentally ready. The jump is too big. That redshirt year is so important for growth and physical development. But, it's now a risk to redshirt some of these primma-donnas. They'll just leave and you just wasted a year on them.

Comment

• I agree that some coaches mislead recruits.

Probably like other top d2 schools, wlu does not promise players anything in terms of time.
                To get a scholarship, recruits have to meet certain criteria, some of which are:
                • Balanced fundamental skill set
                • Comfortable with positionless play with freedom to make decisions
                • Less than 30 minutes per game offset by more possessions
                • Coaches have to like being around the player off the court
                • No babysitters required to go to class, etc.
                • Must play in open gym to understand demanding pace of play
                Despite this due diligence, some players choose not to wait two or 3 years to start, while they strengthen the weaknesses in their game. They transfer, taking the shortcomings in their game with them, often as a result of bad advice from friends and family.

As the famous philosopher :-) once said, "A man has got to know his limitations."

Comment

• Shocked Dale Bonner and Hazelbaker are still unsigned.

Last rumor I heard was Hazelbaker was being recruited pretty hard by Ashland. Bonner is well over a month now since he entered the portal.

Comment

• Ryan Hawkins leaving NWMS.

Comment

Ryan Hawkins leaving NWMS.
                      That's HUGE. Must be looking for a D1 experience at this point (nowhere better in D2 right now than where he already is).

Comment

• That's a nice off-season for Walsh ... adding Cal's Tim Smith and WL's Owen Hazelbaker. Two immediate impact guys.

Comment

• Mercyhurst forward Melkisedek Moreaux is leaving the program to pursue a professional career overseas. He was a grad student this past season and decided to not stay for his free year of eligibility.

He wasn't a starter but was a key 16 mpg rotation player for the Lakers. He is a loss. The Lakers have had a rough off-season so far.

Comment

• Terrence Moore (SF) is leaving Shippensburg. He signed there last year and they obviously didn't play. Prior to Shippensburg, he was at West Chester.

Comment

• Zach McIntire transfered to Chaminade.

Erie to Hawaii

Comment

Zach McIntire transfered to Chaminade.

Erie to Hawaii
                                Zach McIntire... What sport did he play?
                                Was he actually on a team roster?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X