Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

Football is not hazardous? That seems to belie all the CTE information you have posted. Seems like every NFL week we see a player carted off the field of play with some sort of serious injury. Also, have you ever seen a retired NFL player who is 50+? Many can hardly walk and it seems like most have had at least one joint replaced. Anacdotal but I worked with at least three former D1 football players and all were in good shape mentally and physically. Granted it is a small sample size but based on this limited observation, seems like playing pro football is very hazardous.
    Lol good one. I should have been clearer. Many jobs have age limit rules for safety reasons, like joining army, power woodworking equipment etc. All rational reasons. Only ncaa football uses irrelevant considerations like GPA and SAT. That was distinction i was trying to make, not that football was not hazardous.
    "there is no relationship between academics and whether you can make a tackler miss in the open field."

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

If higher ed weren't dependent on indirect federal money (student aid) they wouldn't be subject to this. That's the only qualifier. Its not anti-trust because the schools willingly belong to the NCAA. There are NCAA alternatives. The SEC could jump to the NAIA (although they have similar rules). They could form their own league. The NCAA makes very little money on FBS football. These legal arguments are only possible due to the federal funds involved. Athletes are not employees so they're not subject to employment law.
      I can find nothing in scus syllabus to support your statement about fed money. Ncaa is a cartel with voluntary members, which scus shot down as irrelevant. If u find a reference in opinion below let me know.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...4ldE2sSYm9v27O

The scope of the ruling only applies to educational benefits that cannot be mandated. The concern is that the addition of educational benefits will make them employees. Lawsuits are just starting.

National law review on what is next:

https://www.natlawreview.com/article...at-s-next-ncaa

Comment

I dabbled in university fundraising but did annual gifts rather than "major" gifts. I guess the university needs to know what to do with your money when they don't have someone that meets the criteria.
        Contained in the agreement was language that delt with what the college would do with the funds if the specific intended purpose was not available. Language said that in the case of the specific intended purpose of the donation not being available, the school would take steps to align the distribution as nearly as possible with the original purpose. As explained to me, if the school was unable to determine a qualified recipient of the scholarship, they could reallocate that scholarship to a similar scholarship program. My fathers scholarship was to be in the field of Electrical Engineering...If no one applied OR if no applicant qualified OR if the school ever did away with the Electrical Engineering program, the school could realign the scholly to say, the Mechanical Engineering program.

Comment

• Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
          This donation issue is quite interesting, complete with scandals and intrigue. Mega donors give to a college foundation which is a separate from college and is private, which protects it from FOI requests. Mega donors get to have strings attached to their gift. In the case of george mason univ., koch foundation had input into faculty hiring!

very interesting.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theconv...-secret-129309
          I would point out that this probably happens all the time and across the spectrum of political leanings.

Seem to be talking about the Univ of MD a lot lately but I recall a number of years ago the head football coach, Ralph Friedgen, was fired amid pressure by MD's unicorn donor Kevin Plank the CEO of Under Armor. Plank, a graduate and former player for UofM, had UA sponsor the UofM and wanted a more photogenic coach to run in the "We Must Protect This House" commercials.

Comment

• Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post

Lol good one. I should have been clearer. Many jobs have age limit rules for safety reasons, like joining army, power woodworking equipment etc. All rational reasons. Only ncaa football uses irrelevant considerations like GPA and SAT. That was distinction i was trying to make, not that football was not hazardous.
            "there is no relationship between academics and whether you can make a tackler miss in the open field."
            Well...I think most schools still use HS GPA and SAT scores for academic admissions consideration. Colleges and Employeers use test results all the times to make admission and hiring decisions...Try getting into law school with a bad LSAT...Take the MCAT and score porly and see how that works out for you getting into Medical School. Heck...Score low on the ASVAB and see what military jobs are open to you.

Comment

• Texas-Permian Basin lost 6 players today. Y-I-K-E-S

Comment

Texas-Permian Basin lost 6 players today. Y-I-K-E-S
                Make that 7. WTF is happening in Odessa?

Comment

Make that 7. WTF is happening in Odessa?

Ever been to Odessa?

It may not have happened all in the same day. It could just be when work leaked out.

Some schools (we'll use Edinboro and Slippery Rock) almost never show up on VC despite obvious player movement (inbound and outbound).

I remember in the KR era they'd still be in full JUCO recruiting mode well in to mid-August.

Speaking of Edinboro ... last year Cleary signed that high school forward from Ohio that the Boro crowd was pretty excited about. I see he left already. What's the story there? Where did he go?

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Ever been to Odessa?

It may not have happened all in the same day. It could just be when work leaked out.

Some schools (we'll use Edinboro and Slippery Rock) almost never show up on VC despite obvious player movement (inbound and outbound).

I remember in the KR era they'd still be in full JUCO recruiting mode well in to mid-August.

Speaking of Edinboro ... last year Cleary signed that high school forward from Ohio that the Boro crowd was pretty excited about. I see he left already. What's the story there? Where did he go?
                    Ohio kid was big with a lot of potential. He ended up at D3 Wooster. Tanner Kurt from Cambridge Springs (similar description) also ended up there. I had heard Kurt was upset at his lack of development but if true I don't understand how going D3 solves that.

I'm excited to see Dom Keyes play again. There's word of a D1 transfer via JUCO that could be good.

Comment

Ohio kid was big with a lot of potential. He ended up at D3 Wooster. Tanner Kurt from Cambridge Springs (similar description) also ended up there. I had heard Kurt was upset at his lack of development but if true I don't understand how going D3 solves that.

I'm excited to see Dom Keyes play again. There's word of a D1 transfer via JUCO that could be good.

Lot of upside for Wooster this year. Cleary hasn't been famous for post players.

We're all excited to see Keyes play (finally). I bet he hasn't played in an actual game in 5-6 years. He has to be 25 or 26 years old by now. I will still never understand why Joe sat him out his first year here. He then spent his second year here suspended and then was gone.

Comment

Lot of upside for Wooster this year. Cleary hasn't been famous for post players.

We're all excited to see Keyes play (finally). I bet he hasn't played in an actual game in 5-6 years. He has to be 25 or 26 years old by now. I will still never understand why Joe sat him out his first year here. He then spent his second year here suspended and then was gone.
                        I believe he had to sit because of transfer eligibility. Do you know why he was suspended? You know who to ask.

Comment

I believe he had to sit because of transfer eligibility. Do you know why he was suspended? You know who to ask.
                          It wasn't because of his transfer. Recall he started (and played) at UPJ as a true freshman. He then went to a JUCO in MD (and was teammates with Micah Till). The next year they both came to the PSAC. Till played right way. Joe sat (redshirted) Keyes. It backfired tremendously that year because they had a slew of injuries under the basket. But, he never 'activated' him from the redshirt.

I know why he was suspended. Hit me up on the private messages.

Comment

It wasn't because of his transfer. Recall he started (and played) at UPJ as a true freshman. He then went to a JUCO in MD (and was teammates with Micah Till). The next year they both came to the PSAC. Till played right way. Joe sat (redshirted) Keyes. It backfired tremendously that year because they had a slew of injuries under the basket. But, he never 'activated' him from the redshirt.

I know why he was suspended. Hit me up on the private messages.
                            Interesting. I always assumed it was some sort of eligibility thing although it could have been academic.

Oh I know why Keyes was suspended by Joe - and who wasn't.

Comment

Interesting. I always assumed it was some sort of eligibility thing although it could have been academic.

Oh I know why Keyes was suspended by Joe - and who wasn't.

Yeah.

Comment

• It's Turner Kurt and he would never develop under Cleary because he is a horrible coach!!!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X