Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Cardona gone cray

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

If Cerro was smart she'd be on the first bus out of town. They'll be even worse next year.
    It’s hard to figure the top 2-3 issues because there are about 10 to pick from. I didn’t mean to imply in my earlier post praising Cerro that the others weren’t trying. I think most are, but there are a few that seem disengaged. I saw on more than one occasion where a player chirped back at Carey, and that’s just not acceptable. It tells me things in the room are a mess, at least for some. The assistant coaches barely move during the game so it makes you wonder what’s going on with that.

You saw none of that with Gannon. In fact, even with the big lead the HC didn’t let up on his players when they missed an assignment. He lit up the one girl early in the second half when she left Baughman open for a three. The kid didn’t hang her head and when she left the court she was fist bumping him on the way off the floor. The women really seem to like playing for him and they looked like a well-oiled machine. I don’t think the right pieces are in Indiana to compete with teams like that and it may be a bit before they get here.

And what’s with IUP passing up open looks and instead driving into traffic? They must have done that 20 times. It was all very odd.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
    There is a reason why Gannon brought Clev back for a second go around to coach after his YSU run.

I said it weeks ago that IUP needs an overall and if it was me, Cerro is the only player that stays.
    If Cerro was smart she'd be on the first bus out of town. They'll be even worse next year.

Leave a comment:

• gman16506
    replied
    There is a reason why Gannon brought Clev back for a second go around to coach after his YSU run.

I said it weeks ago that IUP needs an overall and if it was me, Cerro is the only player that stays.
    No big, but I think Wright went to Miami (Ohio) when he left Gannon.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    They have two players.

That's the story.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied

Hard to argue with that.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    I watched the majority of the women’s game in person and the talent discrepancy between IUP and Gannon is pretty wide. I’m not going to call out any IUP players other than to say Maria plays her heart out, doesn’t complain, and doesn’t quit. There were a lot of concerning things I caught seeing it live that you can’t really see on a web stream. I’ll leave it at that.

I’m probably stating the obvious but this team needs a major overhaul. Gannon is the example. I was very impressed with them from the head coach to the seventh player off the bench. They’re fast, tall, athletic, and well coached.

Leave a comment:

• gman16506
    replied

I watched almost the entire women's game last night.

And, here, the next morning, some things about that game (and their season) still bother me. I'll preface this by saying I'm not a 'follower' of the program. I probably see more of them than most just from arriving early to men's games. But, nonetheless, I enjoy watching the program. I hope they win, but if they don't it doesn't really ruin my night.

After watching last night's latest debacle, I'm no longer sure all this gets pinned on Carey. Is he a great coach as an interim and a rookie? No. We all know that. Was he the best option available in August? Must have been.

But, last night was on the players. There's the famous expression that says you can only take the horse to the water ... you can't make it drink. It applies here.

This team makes the same mistakes game after game. They miss the same free throws game after game. They miss the same wide-open layups and bunnies game after game. They make the same horrendous turnovers game after game. They give up easy rebounds game after game. They are out of position on defense constantly. They get beat to loose balls constantly.

Sooner or later, the players have to get the blame here.

Seton Hill's offense was horrendous last night. Their only offense was the deep shot. Yet, IUP (time after time after time after time) kept giving them WIDE OPEN looks. Some of this was as simple as not hustling. Again, that's on the players.

This starting group has a lot of experience. They sure don't play like it for extended periods of time.

The most frustrating part is this team should have a much better record than it does. On the surface, yes, 14-6 looks pretty good. But all 6 losses are in the PSAC. They cashed in on Tom's pre-arranged gimme schedule. They lost last night to a team they blew out a month ago.

The talent is (for the most part) there. I'm just not sure anymore this group wants to go out and get it. They aren't deep. That's no secret. But, performances like last night aren't solely on the coach. They never, ever should have lost that game last night.
    As a Gannon women's fan, I watched the broadcast of the Gannon vs Seton Hall game and agree with your points. I was amazed at the Seton Hall offense flow which seemed to be centered around the three point shot. They seem to put up three's from all angles with no regard to spacing or rebound positioning. To their credit, the shots dropped, even the unbalanced and out of control ones. Again, when they needed a big shot, they buried it and that summed up the win. I thought it was just my Gannon bias to the home team,but found it interesting that another fan had the same opinion on the Seton Hill offensive sets........but maybe they recruit that type of ballplayer to play that three point game? I would say that the Gannon girls hustled to try to cover the three, but too much floor to cover in most cases; again, maybe by design?

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

And, here, the next morning, some things about that game (and their season) still bother me. I'll preface this by saying I'm not a 'follower' of the program. I probably see more of them than most just from arriving early to men's games. But, nonetheless, I enjoy watching the program. I hope they win, but if they don't it doesn't really ruin my night.

After watching last night's latest debacle, I'm no longer sure all this gets pinned on Carey. Is he a great coach as an interim and a rookie? No. We all know that. Was he the best option available in August? Must have been.

But, last night was on the players. There's the famous expression that says you can only take the horse to the water ... you can't make it drink. It applies here.

This team makes the same mistakes game after game. They miss the same free throws game after game. They miss the same wide-open layups and bunnies game after game. They make the same horrendous turnovers game after game. They give up easy rebounds game after game. They are out of position on defense constantly. They get beat to loose balls constantly.

Seton Hill's offense was horrendous last night. Their only offense was the deep shot. Yet, IUP (time after time after time after time) kept giving them WIDE OPEN looks. Some of this was as simple as not hustling. Again, that's on the players.

This starting group has a lot of experience. They sure don't play like it for extended periods of time.

The most frustrating part is this team should have a much better record than it does. On the surface, yes, 14-6 looks pretty good. But all 6 losses are in the PSAC. They cashed in on Tom's pre-arranged gimme schedule. They lost last night to a team they blew out a month ago.

The talent is (for the most part) there. I'm just not sure anymore this group wants to go out and get it. They aren't deep. That's no secret. But, performances like last night aren't solely on the coach. They never, ever should have lost that game last night.
    The lack of hustle showed in a major way last night. How the heck does Cerro get a steal, break away lay up and the the TEAM gets beat in transition for a fast break lay up? The TEAM should've all been down in the defensive end already. There is no excuse for a transition lay up given up when you just got a break away lay up yourself!

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUsuallyPonder View Post
    IUP can’t fire this interim coach fast enough. Good lord this is awful.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUsuallyPonder View Post
    It wasn't pretty.

One could draw up better defenses in the sand.

Both teams were bad. Somebody had to win.

Leave a comment:

• IUsuallyPonder
    replied

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

I’d love to see a shooting percentage chart from spots on the floor for this team. The number of basic layups they miss in seemingly every game is mind blowing. They may be shooting a higher percentage from 10 feet than under the basket.

The ESU women are not very good, but somehow they managed to beat two teams that the IUP ladies lost to. It’s pretty much a toss up who’s going to win the conference on the women’s side.
    If I was betting I'd say Gannon and Ship have the best odds.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X