Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

His head coaching record from years ago is pretty good. His wife is from the Edinboro community. He's coached at D1. He's from the region. All positives.

But his biggest obstacles are things missing from his resume. He's never had to fundraise. West Point, Carnegie Mellon, and Drexel are swimming in money. Fundraising isn't a thing at D3 and coaches just make appearances at any sort of fundraising event in D1. They're the celebrity guest for a major ask. He's never had to coach on a shoestring budget. He's never divided scholarships. He's never had only a part timer to assist. He's never had to sell crap facilities without a world class education to make up for it.

I think he's probably a very good young coach with ties to the area. There are very critical secondary skills you need in D2 that I don't see mentioned. He's got an uphill climb.
    Welcome to Edinboro! hahahaha

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

His head coaching record from years ago is pretty good. His wife is from the Edinboro community. He's coached at D1. He's from the region. All positives.

But his biggest obstacles are things missing from his resume. He's never had to fundraise. West Point, Carnegie Mellon, and Drexel are swimming in money. Fundraising isn't a thing at D3 and coaches just make appearances at any sort of fundraising event in D1. They're the celebrity guest for a major ask. He's never had to coach on a shoestring budget. He's never divided scholarships. He's never had only a part timer to assist. He's never had to sell crap facilities without a world class education to make up for it.

I think he's probably a very good young coach with ties to the area. There are very critical secondary skills you need in D2 that I don't see mentioned. He's got an uphill climb.

You can get around the facility issue if you have some money to spend. IUP Football is the perfect example.

To have the worst facility and no money ... that's a tough combination. That's exactly why I loved KR for the Edinboro job. He's proved time and again he could win with crappy facilities and minimal money. Of course, it takes two to tango.

A ton of decent former PSAC players are still sitting in the portal -- and likely getting very nervous as we're about to enter June. Perhaps he can land several of them and see what happens. Guys like Gerald Jarmon, Chris Clancey, etc., ... could at least get him off and running.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

You can get around the facility issue if you have some money to spend. IUP Football is the perfect example.

To have the worst facility and no money ... that's a tough combination. That's exactly why I loved KR for the Edinboro job. He's proved time and again he could win with crappy facilities and minimal money. Of course, it takes two to tango.

A ton of decent former PSAC players are still sitting in the portal -- and likely getting very nervous as we're about to enter June. Perhaps he can land several of them and see what happens. Guys like Gerald Jarmon, Chris Clancey, etc., ... could at least get him off and running.
        Who is KR that you wanted for the position?

Comment

• Originally posted by BoroLetterman1 View Post

Who is KR that you wanted for the position?
          KR is Kevin Reynolds -- formerly the long-time coach at Slippery Rock and the current HC at Point Park.

He comes with some baggage and probably isn't for everybody, but his results speak for themselves -- in particularly he had success in a place (SRU) that could care less about basketball (at least in that era).

Comment

• I watched what I could of Jennings introductory presser and I have to say I'm impressed. I was unaware that his dad played football at Edinboro in the late 70s. Pat Cleary became a friend over the years so I didn't like the decision to go a different direction, but this might be just about as good of a hire as they could make. He's got an incredible uphill battle but I wish him the best.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
            Working...
            X