Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

The main knock on the GU job has always been the pay. I think Jefferson was still making less than $100k last year (in Year 5). That only leaked because of the lawsuit. Unlike the PSAC publics, they can keep that info private. That's not a whole lot of money today. Lombardi was making about double with a great facility.

Fixing up the Mill will certainly help. I'd assume it will have a Clarion vibe after they are done. Aside from tearing it down, there's only so much that can be done. I do think Clarion's renovation turned out fantastic but it certainly still has a 'gym' vibe rather than an arena -- granted, a fancy gym.

Howlett has baffled me. WL is a great D2 gig. I'm just shocked some school hasn't come in and took him away. I think that system could be very effective at a low major or in the Ivy League.

Fee's timing was great with IUP and Mercyhurst way down this year. Manchel may lose his mind Wednesday. Lombardi is in the twilight.

I don't agree some low majors wouldn't hire him based on just one year. It is very hard to get those jobs but he's going to be hot.
    Could be that Howlett is looked at as a guy who was just handed the keys to a well oiled machine. That’s not to say he isn’t an excellent coach and hasn’t put his own stamp on WL, but if you’re a D1 AD, bringing in a D2 guy is a gamble. You’d probably be more comfortable with someone who built something as opposed to someone who took over something that was already great.

Comment

The program is in very good hands now. My only fear (if I was a GU fan) would be keeping him there beyond this season. Flipping a doormat 3-23 team to what will likely be a deep NCAA run is pretty remarkable. Add to it his young age and he's going to be very attractive to many this off-season. He's very well-spoken and fits the part. I think he will certainly be on the radar of some low-D1 jobs come April when the coaching carousel hits full steam. Gannon is going to need to waive some cash at him in hopes to retain him.

Fee did exceptionally well finding the right grad transfers. They were older guys who have proven to be very productive and coachable. And, as much as Kelvin Jefferson turned out to be a bust, he did recruit Josh Omojafo (likely PSAC Player of the Year). It's worked out very well.

Omojafo will also be interesting. Will he follow the recent trend of PSAC star sophomores and leave for D1 after this season?
      Fee wouldn't make it at D1 level unless he detaches from this style of play. Even low to D1.. temas have plethoras of big men and if he goes all guards the team will get killed on the boards game in and game out.

He's shown he can make golden substitutions at the right moments - so he can definitely coach.. I just don't know if any D1 would take him based on his limited opportunities to actually make strategic subs compared to the mass lines. I also can't see any D1 program trying to implement this style of play knowing that a small team is going to suffer on the boards when most teams have a few guys 6'7+.

His ability to recruit is definitely appealing, but again it's a D2 school. He's brought in D3 and CC players. D3 and CC players aren't going to rebuild a D1 team.

In general id say his minimum at Gannon is 5 years. Hes from the area, grew up a Gannon fan, has family ties still here, wife loves it here, etc. This is still his first head coaching gig. And Nova SE isnt really missing a beat without his assiatance. If there was a downfall, i could see him getting even more recognition. (Ex - Reilly had the ine asst that was his main recruiter and had the few year spat of bringing in Goldcamp, Mosley, Lindsey, Howard, Rivera, Stosh, Blazek, Pio, Porter, and so on. When he left, teilly never had the same caliber recruits and the guy took a higher profile asst job and 2 years later was a head coach because of his noted receu ability).

Omajafo won't be going anywhere. He's too full of himself to go and not be "the guy" somewhere else. Even low D1 - he's not starting unless it's an absolute trash team. Josh is a great player, and a nice kid, but he wants to be the shining light. It took a lot for Coach Fee to convince him to stay for this style of play - but he did. He knew Josh would still be the star of the team - just had to get him adjusted to and okay with not playing 30+ mins every game. Now to a higher D2 team.. I could see that. Especially a West Liberty or Nova Southeastern that already plays this style. BUT he also chose Gannon because it's easy for him to go home as it's not a great distance. So I'm sure that would play a factor.

Re Tipton.. I said it from day one.. he is the biggest 6'3 kid I've ever seen!!! Plays like a 6'3 guard moving the ball and creating and like a 6'8 power forward when he posts up. So creative!! There are rumors that Fee has been in contact with the brother as well.

Comment

Originally posted by bballfan03 View Post

Fee wouldn't make it at D1 level unless he detaches from this style of play. Even low to D1.. temas have plethoras of big men and if he goes all guards the team will get killed on the boards game in and game out.

He's shown he can make golden substitutions at the right moments - so he can definitely coach.. I just don't know if any D1 would take him based on his limited opportunities to actually make strategic subs compared to the mass lines. I also can't see any D1 program trying to implement this style of play knowing that a small team is going to suffer on the boards when most teams have a few guys 6'7+.

His ability to recruit is definitely appealing, but again it's a D2 school. He's brought in D3 and CC players. D3 and CC players aren't going to rebuild a D1 team.

In general id say his minimum at Gannon is 5 years. Hes from the area, grew up a Gannon fan, has family ties still here, wife loves it here, etc. This is still his first head coaching gig. And Nova SE isnt really missing a beat without his assiatance. If there was a downfall, i could see him getting even more recognition. (Ex - Reilly had the ine asst that was his main recruiter and had the few year spat of bringing in Goldcamp, Mosley, Lindsey, Howard, Rivera, Stosh, Blazek, Pio, Porter, and so on. When he left, teilly never had the same caliber recruits and the guy took a higher profile asst job and 2 years later was a head coach because of his noted receu ability).

Omajafo won't be going anywhere. He's too full of himself to go and not be "the guy" somewhere else. Even low D1 - he's not starting unless it's an absolute trash team. Josh is a great player, and a nice kid, but he wants to be the shining light. It took a lot for Coach Fee to convince him to stay for this style of play - but he did. He knew Josh would still be the star of the team - just had to get him adjusted to and okay with not playing 30+ mins every game. Now to a higher D2 team.. I could see that. Especially a West Liberty or Nova Southeastern that already plays this style. BUT he also chose Gannon because it's easy for him to go home as it's not a great distance. So I'm sure that would play a factor.

Re Tipton.. I said it from day one.. he is the biggest 6'3 kid I've ever seen!!! Plays like a 6'3 guard moving the ball and creating and like a 6'8 power forward when he posts up. So creative!! There are rumors that Fee has been in contact with the brother as well.
        I sure like that Tipton rumor. MBAs for all the Tipton boys!

I wouldn't say a small college player can't be a part of a rebuild. Tons of kids can get overlooked. Just look at how many NSU and WLU kids transfer and are key parts of their small d1 program. Or ffs, Knecht. He got no offers and has climbed up to Tennessee and is projected a top lottery pick now!

I think you're right about Fee, if not a longer stay. He sounds genuinely like a smart guy who sees a lot of professional plusses. And he's definitely unpaid from what I've heard, but I'm certain he knows what sort of money his winning ways could bring in.

He reminds me a lot of Tom Chapman in terms of basketball IQ. The main difference is Chapman learned a hard lesson the hard way. He tried to convince Gannon to move to small D1 in the late 80s, around when schools they were playing like YSU, Troy, SDSU, were moving up. He ultimately was told no, and he jumped to St Bonaventure... And it didn't go well. The main was a win away from the Natty. I think he'd have had one had he stuck around. Lesson being: know when you have a good thing going...

Can't tell me Joe Lombardi or Jess Strom haven't had similar thoughts, especially when looking at the successes of people like Bill Cleary or Cleve.

​​​​​

​​​​
        Last edited by TheMadLibs; 01-23-2024, 09:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post

Could be that Howlett is looked at as a guy who was just handed the keys to a well oiled machine. That’s not to say he isn’t an excellent coach and hasn’t put his own stamp on WL, but if you’re a D1 AD, bringing in a D2 guy is a gamble. You’d probably be more comfortable with someone who built something as opposed to someone who took over something that was already great.
          The thing about guys like Howlett are they've got a good thing going and it's gonna need to be a good opportunity next too. Though the drive alone up to West Lib would make me looking elsewhere πŸ˜‚. Oof did Google Maps screw me my first time up there!

Comment

Originally posted by TheMadLibs View Post

The thing about guys like Howlett are they've got a good thing going and it's gonna need to be a good opportunity next too. Though the drive alone up to West Lib would make me looking elsewhere πŸ˜‚. Oof did Google Maps screw me my first time up there!
            No question. But sorta like driving in Pittsburgh (it's own kind of nightmare), once you have discovered and "owned" your own personal route to the place you're going, you start to feel like one of the initiated. Kinda a point of pride about it--I'm in the club! LOL

But, yes, the GPS routes to West Lib are not always (or, perhaps better put, almost never) the best way. If you're a crow maybe; but not if you're driving a car larger than, say, a Prius.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrub View Post

No question. But sorta like driving in Pittsburgh (it's own kind of nightmare), once you have discovered and "owned" your own personal route to the place you're going, you start to feel like one of the initiated. Kinda a point of pride about it--I'm in the club! LOL

But, yes, the GPS routes to West Lib are not always (or, perhaps better put, almost never) the best way. If you're a crow maybe; but not if you're driving a car larger than, say, a Prius.
              The couple times I've been there the weather was good. I'd assume that can be a real treat getting up there in the winter.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrub View Post

Haha that's fair. Same with Dead Man's Curve or the 110 between Pasadena and DTLA! Those and Pittsburgh merge from 279 to 376 made me scared sh#&less the first few times.

It was March and snowing and I will never forget a turn with a local bearing down at me that made me wonder how my Altima felt like a semi that day. Should have known Gannon was about to lose πŸ˜‚.

Comment

In the past there were questions about how well the WLU Style would translate to the big bad, rough and tumble PSAC. Early returns from Gannon and Coach Fee are that the WLU Style does quite well in the PSAC.

Fee and Gannon are showing that the WLU Style has the potential to turn a program around immediately. But Fee is not the only example of this as Mike Lamberti has Coker flying high in his first season in the SAC.

Teams playing the WLU Style are at or very close to the top of the PSAC, MEC. Sunshine State and SAC thus far. Not a bad record of success for a style some call a gimmick.
                  Last edited by boatcapt; 01-24-2024, 12:40 PM.

Comment

I'll be the first to admit that I wasn't sure how the system would fit through a full season in the PSAC. I could absolutely understand how it would work in the playoffs, but the grind of a season in this defense heavy conference seemed unrealistic. Color me largely impressed and admittedly wrong.

When Gannon headed into PSAC play they opened on the road at East Stroudsburg and I was convinced that the wakeup call with Lincoln at home was a good sign of stresses to come, particularly with bigger and deeper posts and some intense man to man from a top team. Instead we looked like the experienced team and on the road. Huh? I remember at that flashing back to folks saying Ship was implementing the same and I figured he'd have more success by virtue of a more established team. Welp. Wrong again.

Fee's adjustments the last 3 weeks are showing results. I was actually surprised today for the first time in a while he didn't stay with his 2nd 5 longer. They were winning the game in every category, and it was the first time I found myself genuinely surprised in a coaching decision since the Cal loss.

I can't figure out why so few people are talking about this Gannon team. They're very young but my goodness, they blew Hurst off the court in q3. Sam Pirosko out scored Hurst until 7 minutes remained in the game, and he largely because of she came off the court. 35 points to get to 1924 in her career. Damn.
                    Last edited by TheMadLibs; 01-25-2024, 12:03 AM.

Comment

I'll be the first to admit that I wasn't sure how the system would fit through a full season in the PSAC. I could absolutely understand how it would work in the playoffs, but the grind of a season in this defense heavy conference seemed unrealistic. Color me largely impressed and admittedly wrong.

When Gannon headed into PSAC play they opened on the road at East Stroudsburg and I was convinced that the wakeup call with Lincoln at home was a good sign of stresses to come, particularly with bigger and deeper posts and some intense man to man from a top team. Instead we looked like the experienced team and on the road. Huh? I remember at that flashing back to folks saying Ship was implementing the same and I figured he'd have more success by virtue of a more established team. Welp. Wrong again.

Fee's adjustments the last 3 weeks are showing results. I was actually surprised today for the first time in a while he didn't stay with his 2nd 5 longer. They were winning the game in every category, and it was the first time I found myself genuinely surprised in a coaching decision since the Cal loss.

I can't figure out why so few people are talking about this Gannon team. They're very young but my goodness, they blew Hurst off the court in q3. Sam Pirosko out scored Hurst until 7 minutes remained in the game, and he largely because of she came off the court. 35 points to get to 1924 in her career. Damn.
                      It's not a GU thing. The women's game largely gets fairly ignored.

In Indiana, for example, the men's team always gets an actual game story in the paper (with quotes, etc.). The women's team usually just gets the dull cut/paste press release from the sports information department.

There are some schools (like Seton Hill) where the women's team is the main draw, but not many.

Last night Seton Hill had a massive, very loud crowd for the women's game. It thinned out a tad for the men's game and went from high energy in the first game to pretty mellow for the men.

Comment

Ben Howlett won't be at West Liberty forever given his age and salary. He's grossly underpaid at a school with that type of basketball program at this level. He wasn't making 90k until last year.

Comment

Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

Ben Howlett won't be at West Liberty forever given his age and salary. He's grossly underpaid at a school with that type of basketball program at this level. He wasn't making 90k until last year.
                          Perhaps. But not every coach is motivated by dollars. $90k is a good chunk of change in Wheeling.

At the end of the day, he might leave at some point. But as his mentor Saint Crutch demonstrated, that point may be a very long time away.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

Perhaps. But not every coach is motivated by dollars. $90k is a good chunk of change in Wheeling.

At the end of the day, he might leave at some point. But as his mentor Saint Crutch demonstrated, that point may be a very long time away.
                            Which deciple do you think will take Crutch's job? He has to be getting near retirement in sunny FLA. I'd have to assume Nova will pluck the tree.

Comment

Which deciple do you think will take Crutch's job? He has to be getting near retirement in sunny FLA. I'd have to assume Nova will pluck the tree.
                              They're getting a few to chose from. My money would be on Fee if it's 3 or more seasons. He was an AC coach there even before Crutch came there.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

They're getting a few to chose from. My money would be on Fee if it's 3 or more seasons. He was an AC coach there even before Crutch came there.
                                I'm not so sure about that. One interesting thing I have caught recently was Fee's father, as you likely know, was a well regarded boy's BB in Western PA with over 400 wins. He pretty surprisingly quit right before the start of the season around 2018 and his comments were that he had missed a lot of life during the school year, and that visiting Jordan in FL sorta sealed the deal. Jordan has commented often that being back in PA near family and friends has been such a pivotal benefit to the move, and honestly, I can't blame the guy. It's the closest he's been to family since HS. His wife is from Cleveland as well and played d2 at Lake Erie... Hard to to imagine the pull to Florida with kids in the picture. If anything, it'd be YSU, Akron, Cleveland State, and I gotta be honest, it'd be a money thing mainly.

I heard he's making littlest but Jordan seems savvy enough that I think he's probably got some good incentives built in that contract and will hold wayyyy more sway in the next round should he want it. Especially if a new guard of young fans is built. Gotta say, I'm seeing chatter like I've NEVER heard up here for Gannon this century. Not since the 90s, mayyyybe.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X