Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Job openings

Originally posted by Macktheknight View Post
    As much as I have been rooting for Cleve, I don't see him wanting to come back. Pride, for one. Family in OH/KY, I think for two. And 3, why would he want to fix Brunelli's or the AD mistakes with the program he had running so smoothly? The next coach should be able to turn it around in a short period of time. I think if they keep Brunelli, the AD loses credibility with the community and the athletes. Brunelli has already lost his shot to redeem himself there.
    And his daughter is playing hoops for Grand Valley State next season.

Comment

Originally posted by Macktheknight View Post
      As much as I have been rooting for Cleve, I don't see him wanting to come back. Pride, for one. Family in OH/KY, I think for two. And 3, why would he want to fix Brunelli's or the AD mistakes with the program he had running so smoothly? The next coach should be able to turn it around in a short period of time. I think if they keep Brunelli, the AD loses credibility with the community and the athletes. Brunelli has already lost his shot to redeem himself there.
      Agree. And Cleve's daughter is playing hoops for Grand Valley next season.

Comment

You guys forgot about the ultimate example. John Chaney jumped from Cheyney to Temple in 1982.

Comment

Add Duquesne to the list. Job now open.

Comment

Top names flying around for Duquesne job:

King Rice
            Matt Driscoll
            Pat Kelsey
            Anthony Stewart
            Baker Dunleavy
            Mike Rice (of Rutgers fame)
            Kevin Keatts (perhaps a dream but getting some buzz)

Comment

Kevin Keatts should have just finished, or perhaps still be in the midst of, his first season at Pitt. I know there was some trepidation in regards to him being at Louisville at the time of the prostitution scandal, but if Barnes would've at least done the due diligence rather than relying on Stallings and Associates or whatever that search firm was called, maybe Pitt wouldn't be where they are now.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                Top names flying around for Duquesne job:

King Rice
                Matt Driscoll
                Pat Kelsey
                Anthony Stewart
                Baker Dunleavy
                Mike Rice (of Rutgers fame)
                Kevin Keatts (perhaps a dream but getting some buzz)
                Who would want to work there? Coaches know that Everhart and Ferry are very good coaches who did what they could. They were paying Ferry a half million dollars. The commitment is there but you have to wonder what's making them fire two good coaches. Duquesne basketball fans are as delusional about their stature as Pitt football fans...if not more. Expecting Duquesne to compete in the Atlantic 10 every year is the same as expecting Wake Forest to compete in the ACC every year.

Comment

It's a tough gig ... no doubt.

Ferry went:

8-22
                  13-17
                  12-19
                  17-17
                  10-22

Duquesne fans tend to think the basketball program should be in the ACC and the football program in the Big 10. I'm related to several. Trust me.

Perhaps a Mike Rice, who most schools would be afraid to touch, could be a good hire. If you go with a young hire you could catch lightning in a bottle but then he'd be gone quickly. If you go the retread route you'll just further infuriate what's left of the fan and donor base.

Duquesne's attendance figures were more far-fetched than several PSAC schools this past season. I went to a few games at the Palumbo Center and there couldn't have been more than 500 people there.

What's compelling is the two freshmen are studs. I don't know how Ferry landed them. They best move quick before those two get transfer ideas in their heads (if they haven't already). The one already said Ferry was the only reason he picked Duquesne.

I don't think it's impossible to win there but certainly not easy. The venue is decent. The academics are strong. It's a nice campus if you're in to the urban thing.

Comment

Joe's name has finally now begun surfacing on some basketball web sites for the YSU job -- one going as far as calling him the leading candidate. Calhoun is also getting traction on the YSU job but more so for the Cleveland State job. Neither seems to be getting any serious consideration, as probably expected, at Duquesne.

The Duquesne boards are a riot ... they essentially want Rick Pitino or one of the Miller brothers for the next hire.
                    Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 03-16-2017, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Joe Lombardi mentioned as top candidate for YSU job today on Youngstown sports radio.

Stuff is about to get real I have a feeling.

Somebody find the Spaniard on campus and put him in hiding.

Comment

There are now two reputable basketball sites calling Jarrod Calhoun a 'lock' for the Youngstown State job. This likely explains the delay.

It seemed the buzz on Joe Lombardi started to fizzle toward Friday/Saturday.

Also, Pittsburgh media reporting Duquesne announcement could be today.

Andy Toole, Robert Morris, said to be finalist for Quinnipiac job -- which is said to be offering near $800,000/year.
                        Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 03-20-2017, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Great for IUP. Too bad for Joe if he really wanted the job. Everybody wants the young up and comer (except Pitt).

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post
                            Great for IUP. Too bad for Joe if he really wanted the job. Everybody wants the young up and comer (except Pitt).

This is strictly hypothetical here and just for kicks and giggles, but....

When'd Jamie left, did any of you think in the back of your mind, "I wonder if..." when it came to that coaching vacancy. I remember people calling into The Fan and throwing Joe's name out there. It was cool.

With his D1 connections, I'm sure he'd build a nice staff. We'll never know how that would have gone though. Part of me also wouldn't want to see him going up against the likes of Williams, Coach K, and Pitino on a nightly basis though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Per WFMJ in Youngstown, Danny Sancomb of Wheeling Jesuit has formally applied for the YSU job.

Rick McFadden, Akron assistant, and Jarrod Calhoun, both still playing, have not 'formally' applied for the position.

Joe Lombardi is not listed as a formal applicant per WFMJ.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                                Per WFMJ in Youngstown, Danny Sancomb of Wheeling Jesuit has formally applied for the YSU job.

Rick McFadden, Akron assistant, and Jarrod Calhoun, both still playing, have not 'formally' applied for the position.

Joe Lombardi is not listed as a formal applicant per WFMJ.
                                Some of this talk I think is Cignetti Syndrome. We didn't believe he would leave, either. But Joe is different, he has a realistic Chance to win a national Championship in the next two years, with his son as one of the high impact players - imagine that as a career capper. He's fairly close to retirement when he wants, but could stay with a relatively low pressure position for as long as he wants. It would take alot to lure him away.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X