Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On a radio broadcast Billeter stated he will be looking for 1 or 2 more recruits.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blue Ridge Viking View Post
      Thanks for all the updates on the Vikings-to-be. I have to think Billeter is going to bring in at least one other player. As of now, I count only 11 for next season -- the six returnees (and that's assuming they all come back) and the five freshmen.

As for starters, Fink is a lock, as is Akoi, I'm guessing. After that, who knows. Jackson Loge, given his decorated recruiting profile. Maybe Hinker or Helgren for needed size. Would Otto start at the point? Distras? A freshman/transfer to be named later?

Anyone else have any thoughts?
      This day and age, I'll be more surprised than not if we don't have guys end up in the transfer portal once the season ends, whatever the reason may be. Cartwright seemed to have free reign to shoot at will at Augie and still chose to go play for the Cougars for whatever reason this offseason. Not that I'm complaining, as things seem to have worked out fine for us, but I think if a kid like that is interested in playing other places when he seemed to have freedom to do whatever he wanted on the court, there will undoubtedly be players who leave for other reasons this offseason. If not, then that's awesome and I hope they're ready to play next year. But it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to see Loge, Helgren, and Hinker all getting solid minutes as freshmen. And then you've got Rensch who keeps putting up 35+ point games and you start to wonder if he'll be ready to go early on too.

To your point, I won't be shocked if we add one or two guys to our current incoming group. I wouldn't mind them being more experienced players rather than additional freshmen, but I'm willing to bet the coaching staff has a better idea of the team's needs than I do, despite the blinding brilliance of my basketball mind, so I'm sure they'll fill whatever gaps they see with the right talent.

Comment

• Tom may have a balancing act next season, he will have to keep this talented frosh group engaged and happy while satisfying any transfers and current players The drive to win always comes first. Good problems to have.

Comment

• Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
          On a radio broadcast Billeter stated he will be looking for 1 or 2 more recruits.
          Billeter at least is trying. Hadn't checked Verbal Commits in a while. Turns out Augie has an offer out to a point guard from Omaha:

Chandler Meeks - Hudl

Comment

• The only players I feel comfortable calling starters for next year are Fink, Loge, and Helgren. Anything beyond that is up in the air. Obviously there will be lots of holes to fill and I would expect an experienced PG to be a priority whenever this season ends.

Comment

• Congrats to Augie's Tyler Riemersma on being named to the D2CCA All-Central Region Team: https://goaugie.com/news/2022/3/11/m...al-region.aspx

Comment

• Need some suggestions on where to pre-game before our game with Minn-Duluth at 2:30. Need a place that is relatively close to the arena, has cold beer and good food. We will be arriving at around noon into Sioux Falls today. Thx.

Comment

• Originally posted by Btech#3 View Post
                  Need some suggestions on where to pre-game before our game with Minn-Duluth at 2:30. Need a place that is relatively close to the arena, has cold beer and good food. We will be arriving at around noon into Sioux Falls today. Thx.
                  Crooked Pint Ale House is fairly close and Blue Rock Bar and Grill is almost in the Pentagon parking lot.

Comment

• Thank you. We will hit one of those spots. Prolly the zblue Rock Bar

Comment

• Congrats to Tyler Riemersma on being named COSIDA Academic All-America Team Member of the Year:

https://goaugie.com/news/2022/3/15/m...-the-year.aspx

Comment

• Have Midco plus added to my roku device, so I can watch game on TV.

Comment

• What an incredibly surprising ride this team gave us. Walking into the gym tonight it was still surreal that Augie was hosting the final possible home game of the season. Riemersma, Dykman, Jamo, and Dylan gave it a helluva run which made it a winter full of fun in the 'Gon. After several frustrating seasons it was awesome to get back into and host these unbelievably meaningful games.

Comment

• Got posted in the other thread by an NWMSU fan, but I appreciated the post-game interview with Coach Billeter and the seven seniors from the team:

You can tell this group and coaches all really care about each other. Good reminder that the game isn't always just about wins and losses on the court. Not that any Augie fans would've minded another win.

Comment

• I've posted most of my thoughts on here throughout the year, so I don't have a whole lot more to say, but as Augieholic mentioned, this was a fairly unexpected year from this group. It was awesome to climb back to the top of the NSIC mountain when that wasn't necessarily the expectation. As mentioned in the post-game press conference I just posted, even if this group didn't get to the Elite Eight like we'd hoped, it does feel like they've done a lot to get the program back on track moving forward, which is something they can and should be proud of.

I also hope this group of seniors really showed the underclassmen what it takes to win. It sounds like the work ethic was there all season long, and hopefully it made an impact on this younger group. Between them needing to step up and the slew of freshmen we'll have coming in, it'll take some time to learn and adjust, but if the talent is there, the rest of it should follow (assuming nobody gets transfer portal-itis after their first year).

All in all, this season was a pleasant surprise. Outright conference champions isn't easy, but it's a great accomplishment whether you win the Regional or not. Similarly, advancing farther than any other NSIC team (or any team that our transfers left for...petty, I know...) in the postseason is also something to be proud of.

It's been fun watching this group of guys grow together and become as effective and efficient as they were, particularly on defense.

As has been mentioned, there's a lot to be optimistic about with our incoming recruits and the guys we have coming back if they work hard and grow in the offseason. Looking forward to seeing what the next phase of Augie basketball looks like in the coming years.

Comment

• Congrats to Coach Billeter on being named Central Region Coach of the Year and Tyler Riemersma on being named 1st Team All-District:

Full release here: https://goaugie.com/news/2022/3/21/m...rict-team.aspx

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X